Painting a stock

Here is my latest experiment. I did the usual prep, then three coats were a near black texture, red marble can fairly heavy and dead flat matte…has the best feel by a longshot I just have to get used to the color departure for me. IMG_9838.jpeg

I like Duracoat a lot. If you have a compressor, get a little hobby air brush sprayer. I have bought stencils from Duracoat, printed some online and cut some from masking tape.

The stencils from Duracoat are pretty sticky. I chose a difficult digital camo pattern for an AR. Looks great, but I'll never do that pattern again. Way too difficult on an AR. Too many hard angles to negotiate.

You can sponge paint w Duracoat too.

I have also used a good quality spray paint. They all seem to stick just fine.

Ok.... maybe I could give it a go. It's a flat black eh1. What type of paint would you recommend for sponge type of painting? Gel coat?
@Darryle That was me that mentioned that to you. I spoke with a Manners tech guy about it . Below is the same paints Manners uses for their sponge type camo jobs. Called "Proline R/C Body paint". Formulated for model RC Airplanes, Cars, etc. Holds up very well and I've had great luck with it. I've not had any issues with cleaning solvents harming it either.

image.jpg

IMG_2179.jpeg

IMG_2180.jpeg

Last edited:
@Darryle That was me that mentioned that to you. I spoke with a Manners tech guy about it . Below is the same paints Manners uses for their sponge type camo jobs. Called "Proline R/C Body paint". Formulated for model RC Airplanes, Cars, etc. Holds up very well and I've had great luck with it. I've not had any issues with cleaning solvents harming it either.

View attachment 570457

View attachment 570459View attachment 570460
I'm gonna have to look at that paint then as well