Pack size?

Taylorbok

Planning a 3 Day (2 nights) Elk hunt this fall. First time doing anything like this, the weather in the area could be drastically different during the time of year.

I bought an Elite 3800 ci pack from ALPS outdoorz, it seems like a really nice pack and based on some research I did should be about the right size.
But I can't figure out how I am for the life of me going to get all my junk in there.

Tent and sleeping bag/ pad take up most of the room, once I get my food in there is very little room for any extra clothing let alone all the other stuff... first aid, fire starting kit, binos, etc.

What size packs do you guys use?
or any tips for fitting stuff in?

I did just have a brain wave that game bags and food could go in a garbage bag and slide in where an animal would go which should be fine if I use up the food while up there.

Pad goes on the outside and binos go on your chest.
I intend to put binos on chest during hunt just thought during hike in I'd pack so they aren't in the way ever maybe I'll just plan to keep on chest always.
I could put pad outside, it rolls up pretty small (inflatable)
I actually could put my tent on the side and move a water bottle inside that would free up some space.

Last edited:
I bought a Seek Outside 6300, I have their merlin at 1400ci on the back of it, 2 of their side pockets, one on each side of course, on it, they are 1200ci each, and a kifaru 1200ci lid on it.

That's 6300 + 1400 + 1200 + 1200 + 1200 = 11,300ci.

Eberlestock scabbard that is sitting between the main bag and the merlin as well.

And I still don't understand how to get everything I want in a backpack...

I use a 6200 for about 4-6 days. Sometimes it's not just about the CUI. If you have big gear, large tent, big sleeping bag etc, then it can be difficult to fit everything in.

Since it was mentioned above, I keep binos on chest. They never go in my pack. Spotter does though, occasionally.

I use a nemo tensor, so that pad goes in my main pack under tent.

Food does take up space though. It's why I could never get my 6200 pack to do 7 days. Even on a caloric deficit.

With a smaller pack and not ultralight gear it'll be tough. All of your big stuff that can strap down has to go outside the pack. There's usually straps on the bottom for bedrolls, tent can go outer center, find a way to stuff your clothes into a game bag and tie it cross ways on top of your bag. All small pieces go inside in whatever configuration makes sense for the unpacking process. Meaning, don't put your food in the very bottom unless you intent to dump your pack on the ground to get a snack while hiking in.

Set it up, then do a mock hike and camp set, even if it's in the back yard. You'll find things you missed or things that could be arranged better.

One of my more used packs is about that size, as many above have mentioned bulky stuff goes on it not in it. Have a fairly water resistant stuff sack for both my sleeping bag as well as my pad and bivy. While not always possible I'm not carrying that much water, as quality filtration systems abound as long as water is around.

Weigh every item on a scale independently. Is your sleeping bag down? They compress almost into nothing, take a look at the tent as well. Determine how much weight you can comfortably carry and start working on cutting non essential items. You will only be gone for 2 days essentially, day #3 is a pack out. I do not backpack hunt anymore but still get out with my kids during the summer, my total pack weight is never over 30 lbs, mostly 20-25 for 4 day 5 night excursions . Use google and find out what the ultra light guys are using and incorporate their suggestions into hunting. Good luck

I use a 6200 for about 4-6 days. Sometimes it's not just about the CUI. If you have big gear, large tent, big sleeping bag etc, then it can be difficult to fit everything in.

Since it was mentioned above, I keep binos on chest. They never go in my pack. Spotter does though, occasionally.

I use a nemo tensor, so that pad goes in my main pack under tent.

Food does take up space though. It's why I could never get my 6200 pack to do 7 days. Even on a caloric deficit.
I'm not going to take spotting scope, I believe one other person is but I feel I'll be ok with just bino's
With a smaller pack and not ultralight gear it'll be tough. All of your big stuff that can strap down has to go outside the pack. There's usually straps on the bottom for bedrolls, tent can go outer center, find a way to stuff your clothes into a game bag and tie it cross ways on top of your bag. All small pieces go inside in whatever configuration makes sense for the unpacking process. Meaning, don't put your food in the very bottom unless you intent to dump your pack on the ground to get a snack while hiking in.

Set it up, then do a mock hike and camp set, even if it's in the back yard. You'll find things you missed or things that could be arranged better.
I was worried about putting roll outside incase it's raining? same with spare layers, I figured they need to be in the pack. I've got my food divided into day's in ziplock bag's I figured each morning put that day's food at the top of the pack for easy access. I am planning to do some mock hike's/ camps but I'm still sorting how to get everything into the pack first hahaha.
One of my more used packs is about that size, as many above have mentioned bulky stuff goes on it not in it. Have a fairly water resistant stuff sack for both my sleeping bag as well as my pad and bivy. While not always possible I'm not carrying that much water, as quality filtration systems abound as long as water is around.
I was planning to haul one Nalgene bottle of water, plus the hydration bladder in the pack. I have a sawyer water filter and the other guys are telling me water will be easy to find.
Weigh every item on a scale independently. Is your sleeping bag down? They compress almost into nothing, take a look at the tent as well. Determine how much weight you can comfortably carry and start working on cutting non essential items. You will only be gone for 2 days essentially, day #3 is a pack out. I do not backpack hunt anymore but still get out with my kids during the summer, my total pack weight is never over 30 lbs, mostly 20-25 for 4 day 5 night excursions . Use google and find out what the ultra light guys are using and incorporate their suggestions into hunting. Good luck
I've been trying to buy lightweight items that still fit the bill for warmth. Yes my bag is down but it's still pretty bulky, rated for 0*f they told me the one year it got down to -20*F one night. The food seems to take up a ton of space, I now realize I can cut one breakfast so that will help. I went with Eureka Midori tent, it seemed to be the smallest/ lightest I could go with out spending a fortune on an ultralight, most that were lighter didn't have a bottom and with the possibility of snow I figured I needed a bottom. I really don't have anything I'm planning to take that I don't feel is absolutely necessary .

I'm not going to take spotting scope, I believe one other person is but I feel I'll be ok with just bino's

I was worried about putting roll outside incase it's raining? same with spare layers, I figured they need to be in the pack. I've got my food divided into day's in ziplock bag's I figured each morning put that day's food at the top of the pack for easy access. I am planning to do some mock hike's/ camps but I'm still sorting how to get everything into the pack first hahaha.

I was planning to haul one Nalgene bottle of water, plus the hydration bladder in the pack. I have a sawyer water filter and the other guys are telling me water will be easy to find.

I've been trying to buy lightweight items that still fit the bill for warmth. Yes my bag is down but it's still pretty bulky, rated for 0*f they told me the one year it got down to -20*F one night. The food seems to take up a ton of space, I now realize I can cut one breakfast so that will help. I went with Eureka Midori tent, it seemed to be the smallest/ lightest I could go with out spending a fortune on an ultralight, most that were lighter didn't have a bottom and with the possibility of snow I figured I needed a bottom. I really don't have anything I'm planning to take that I don't feel is absolutely necessary .
Yeah, spotter isn't always necessary. I usually just go with binos.

Sounds like you're doing things right. You definitely don't want rolls on the outside. That's with exception to a foam pad. Tents get all scratched up and abraded, UV exposes breaks them down prematurely as well.

Same with sleeping bag, but also the moisture, unless in a waterproof stuff sack.

I mean, you buy a multiday pack to stow your stuff in, that's what it should do. That said, given what you've said about the bulk of the items, which is usually the case with cold weather backpacking, you'd probably want a bigger pack. Something like a 80L or bigger.

Last edited: