Pac-nor barrels and gunsmithing

elk wallow

Im wanting to get my m70 rebarrelled and was thinking about sending it to Pac-nor. I've read good things about there barrels but was wondering if anyone had experience with them putting a barrel on your action. I think for the price it would be a pretty good deal. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Kevin

Dont know about their smithing but am happy with the barrel I got from them. Savage prefit 300wby 16in in a pistol and ive shot many 3/4-1in groups at 250yds. Very pleased with the barrel.

Adam

They rebarreled a Howa mini in .17 fireball for me. Quick service (about a month) and shoots great. I'd use them again.

I have several of their barrels and they trued an M700 and barreled it, did great work and all are great shooters. They have changed owners in the last couple years but all the guys are still there.

I had them put a polygonal-rifled Super Match barrel on a Model 70 push feed for me years ago. I was young and dumb and ordered way too heavy of a barrel and don't take it out much, so I can't tell you what it's really capable of, but it puts deer and coyotes down. Since I have started building rifles, I've looked and realized that I should have hired a professional rifle builder rather than try to save a few dollars. They trued the front of the receiver and likely set minimum headspace, but nothing more that a specialized rifle builder would do. In the end I didn't save any money because the rifle had to go back to them since they left it 5" longer than I had requested. Nice people, and it seems like a decent barrel, but I won't do polygonal rifling, again, and there just isn't enough difference in cost to go with them over the Brux barrels I have come to really like. I'd love to do more business with Pac-Nor and use their blanks for my builds, but they just aren't as competitively priced as they used to be.

Every rifle my dad has had built, all but two of my way too many, and my kids now have been out of that shop. From 10/22 to 50bmg. All supermatches and None have been an under performer.

If you're saving a hundred bucks but have to essentially fire lap the barrel smooth did you save anything?

They re barreled a 17 Remington to 20 practical for me couldn't be happier with their work or customer services

I've used about 28 of their smokeless Muzzleloader barrels and 4-5 high power rifle barrels with not one complaint

There is a thread on another forum with a news article attached that says pacnor's building burned down. I don't know how to attach stuff like that here bit if I figure it out I will ad it here.

Yup sad day they burned. I could see the smoke from my house. Great barrels. They had upgraded to some serious lathe machines recently. Not sure how devastating it was but the place was pretty packed up on a hill side. Hope they had great insurance. Noone hurt which is the main part. Best shooting I did was .18 4 shot group with their 20 cal 3 groove. Pretty much one bullet hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.