PA LATE SEASON BULLS

Holy smokes, I did not know there were elk like that in PA, wow!
The
FB_IMG_1694832951160.jpg
FB_IMG_1695552207826.jpg
se are minor..lol...how about these two from last fall. !!

Amazing bulls! After seeing these I would like to put in for the drawings but, being 56, I would probably never get picked while I am upright.
Well it is a draw, so that levels the playing field at least somewhat.
Ive been hunting there in the prime area since i was 16 years old. Im very soon to be 89,
We have them in the yard of our camp regularly, and to date 3 have been shot there.
I have never applied for a tag, and neither have any of the other camp members,
Thats pretty common for other camps in the area as well, and also with the native population in the area.
So by all means apply if your dream is shooting a trophy Elk.

Well it is a draw, so that levels the playing field at least somewhat.
Ive been hunting there in the prime area since i was 16 years old. Im very soon to be 89,
We have them in the yard of our camp regularly, and to date 3 have been shot there.
I have never applied for a tag, and neither have any of the other camp members,
Thats pretty common for other camps in the area as well, and also with the native population in the area.
So by all means apply if your dream is shooting a trophy Elk.

I think I will, when I was young my dream was to go out west elk hunting but then life happened. Now seeing these pictures and being that it is PA (I am in MA), it stirred me up a bit and would be doable if I was lucky enough to be drawn.

I think I will, when I was young my dream was to go out west elk hunting but then life happened. Now seeing these pictures and being that it is PA (I am in MA), it stirred me up a bit and would be doable if I was lucky enough to be drawn.
I would suggest taking a few days and go visit the area.
A few days driving around there would give a good picture of what to expect on an actual hunt.
You might be surprised at the vastness of the area and the size and steepness of many of the hills.

I would suggest taking a few days and go visit the area.
A few days driving around there would give a good picture of what to expect on an actual hunt.
You might be surprised at the vastness of the area and the size and steepness of many of the hills.
..your right, most people think you hunt at the visitors center, lol. It's surprising how easily 1700 elk hide in an area 40x75 miles in size and how well they read private land maps..lol Once you leave the tourist areas they become wild and wooly to say the least..

..your right, most people think you hunt at the visitors center, lol. It's surprising how easily 1700 elk hide in an area 40x75 miles in size and how well they read private land maps..lol Once you leave the tourist areas they become wild and wooly to say the least..
Well thats where we disagree on the Elk Frank.
You no doubt know exactly where our camp is.
But ill tell you anyway.
From Castle Garden cross over the bridge to Mix Run Rd.
Follow that road about 1.5 miles and you will come to our camp. There is a stone sign at the driveway with the name Yobuck, and another sign hanging on the front porch.
Feel free to drive in, my son now lives there full time.
From our camp yard there are lots of sidehills we can glass.
In addition to those hills there are almost endless others thruout that area as you well know.
Glassing hillsides with very good tripod mounted optics is how we hunt.
We have been doing that for more than fifty years thruout that region.
Untill recently i hunted straight through from bear season and the entire 2 week buck season, glassing every day the weather permitted.
I have yet to ever see even one bull Elk thru my glasses, and i can count on one hand the number of cows.
Yet there might be Elk in our yard or a neibors yard eating grass while im glassing the surrounding hills.
If i take a ride on rt 555 from our camp to Benezette its about 20 miles.
I could well see 50 elk including very large bulls while doing that right out of the car window.
Yet i never see any while out in the boonies glassing sidehills.
Ive seen herds so large i couldnt accurately count them right in the villiage of Sinnemahoning.
Ive also seen herds that large eating grass in the Frenchville area very close to the road.
But again, i never see any while im out hunting.

1000001333.jpg

This guy was about a mile away from a viewing area along with 3 others on public yesterday. Pennsylvania's little slice of heaven is that area