Outdoor Tips - Inauguration

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
For a few months now I have been planning to add "Outdoor Tips" as a feature. You may have recently noticed the link on the HOME page navbar. The tips would cover hunting, shooting, reloading, etc.

They would be shorter than an article...maybe from 1 to 10 paragraphs long with no photos necessary.

An example might be 6 simple bullet points on how to glass for game.

Another may be 3 paragraphs on how to field dress a deer.

How about 2 paragraphs on how to mentally mark the location of downed game before moving in for the recovery.

Maybe a very short list of things to consider when your accurate rifle suddenly starts opening up groups.

How to move through the woods while looking for the big white tail you saw yesterday.

****************​

I'll be soliciting emailed offerings from our members at large in an ongoing basis. But...I'd really like some help in getting this started. Can some of you guys give me a couple each that I can publish in time for our June 1 Newsletter?

If you like, you could post them here in this thread...so we can all discuss examples of what would work and be of service to the members. Otherwise, email your ideas to me.

Thanks

Back when Uncle B shot the desert bighorn, I asked GG to post a thread on how to glass for game. I found it 100% different from what I had been doing and several knowledgeable people agreed that his way was the best way. It was a great thread. You could just cut an paste it.

I would be happy to write up my way of butchering an animal when a long way from home.

That didn't take long

How to Butcher an Animal in the Field

If you have traveled a long way from home and cannot get the whole animal home and need to butcher it where you hunt then this is one way of doing it that keeps the meat clean and unspoiled.

These are the things you will need: A back pack, a skinning knife, a boning knife and a work knife, a sharpening stone, a 1 mil 9X12 plastic tarp (two if it is a big animal), several garbage bags, a couple of lawn bags and quart, gallon and three gallon freezer bags. Back at your truck or camp you will need coolers and ice.

Skin one side of the animal without gutting it and without rolling it over in the dirt. If you wish to open the animal up that is fine but it is not necessary unless the animal must be left overnight. Be careful with the legs as they will like to flop around and get in the dirt or rub on the other leg and get dirty. You can use garbage bags to keep them off the unskinned leg and out of the dirt.

Spread out the plastic tarp and cut off the skinned rear leg at the top ball joint and lay it on the tarp. Do the same to the front leg slicing along the ribs to get the leg and shoulder blade free and lay it on the tarp. Then cut out the loin from pelvis to neck and place it on the tarp. If it is a big animal you will need to trim off the flank meat and neck. Grab the skinned hide edge and rewrap the animal in it so when you turn it over it is on the hide and not in the dirt. Optional is to use a second tarp to roll the animal on and it will skin easier because you can work from the backbone down to the legs. Skin the other side of the animal and repeat the process off slicing off the legs and loin. When taking off the last rear leg try to include evidence of sex. You are now through with the carcass unless it is a big animal such as an elk and then there it is worth it to get the tenderloin and if you wish, heart and liver.

Being careful not to get dirt on the tarp, you will need to bone the legs out. Place meat that will be ground in one pile. Place the loin in another pile and perhaps cut it into 5 or 6 inch lengths. Get the freezer bags and put the meat into the bags using small bags for the scrap meat and large bags for the boned hams. Put the lawn bag into your backpack and then put the bagged meat into the garbage bags and put the garbage bags into the lawn bag in your back pack. Your meat is now triple bagged for the trip out. Look around and clean up your mess including taking the plastic tarp and putting it into your backpack. Get all of your knives and stone. If you wish the head and horns then lash them on or come back for them in a second trip.

Last edited:
Len , you've just been busted

by the spelling police . Innaugeration ? Inauguration ! : )

Heres a tip on using the RCBS chargemaster combo . After using one exclusively for a couple of years now it has become apparent that the biggest factor in achieving a " steady state " ( no drift ) is rhythm and pattern .

Timing is included in the " rhythm " factor . Using approximately the same time periods between each action of the process and keeping those time intervals as small as possible . Doing everything the same from charge to charge . Waiting for the scale to register its "minus " value before replacing the pan , waiting for the scale to read full zero values before dispensing another charge , and continuing your reloading untill all charges are thrown are parts of the pattern .

Jim B.

Fussy, fussy. What's the difference? You can never have too many n's, you know.

I know we have a lot of Jims on here but I still think there's only 1 "m" in Jim. Too many "m's";) Add on the extra "m" and throw in a "ba" and there's no doubt about who we're dealing with.;);)

Len, after you give away this wind meter, maybe the next "prize" could be a dictionary.:rolleyes:

Jimmba's thoughts about using the Chargemaster are good. It's something I've always done but never really thought about saying anything about it. Only takes a second or two but gives you peace of mind for precise loads. And Jimmba, don't forget about not having a fan running in the area of the Chargemaster. Wind can make a scale go goofy.

10/4 on the " no fan " Dick ! Len , I have several pages of Chargemaster review written . It needs to be organized and a pic or two . I hope to finish it before long . Do you want it ?

jimmba

Maybe you need some of that stuff dairy farmers put on cows' teats.

But if you have several pages, this sounds like an article and not a short "tips" submission...which is great. But it also means I don't have enough "tips" to prime the pump yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.