Ouch, what’s a good YouTube technique channel

I did the same thing once with a bow that was properly set up for me. I just got lazy and let me grip get poor. Hurt like an absolute SOB for several days.

The way I was taught (an I'm far from an expert, but shot well enough when I practiced) was to make a V with my thumb and forefinger, set the grip in the hollow of my palm, keep the support hand loose and relaxed (don't clench the grip) and once at full draw, make **** sure that the left elbow isn't locked out, or rotated inwards. That will cause this to happen. At full draw I'd always give my left elbow a hair of external rotation, which points your forearm down a bit and keeps it out of the way.

The chanel is Knock on archery John Dudley. He has stance, bow setup, arrow info. he's a go to for good info on getting it right.

It took me a bit to find a good shop to use for fixing I don't have tools for yet. Lots if shops can basic, but when you find someone who knows their stuff, you'll know the difference

Thanks!

I am in AZ. I use Timber Archery pro shop in Mesa. I will go back and make sure and get it sized when I get arrows, but I think it was laziness.

Been shooting a few arrows every day. The Dudley videos are helpful. Fortunately, the mental and some physical stuff transfers for me from long range shooting. I have learned the shortcut is to be a student… no ego.

Yeah, I learned to not grip the bow with my hand. That was a problem. It helped to visualize pressing out with my arm only enough to hold the bow with my thumb and a couple fingers with some bend in my left elbow.

Looks even more amazing and technicolor now.

E75973DD-034D-4A7A-880F-2F74EE8E7625.jpeg

Thanks!

I am in AZ. I use Timber Archery pro shop in Mesa. I will go back and make sure and get it sized when I get arrows, but I think it was laziness.

Been shooting a few arrows every day. The Dudley videos are helpful. Fortunately, the mental and some physical stuff transfers for me from long range shooting. I have learned the shortcut is to be a student… no ego.

Yeah, I learned to not grip the bow with my hand. That was a problem. It helped to visualize pressing out with my arm only enough to hold the bow with my thumb and a couple fingers with some bend in my left elbow.

Looks even more amazing and technicolor now.

View attachment 547341
There is something wrong with your setup and fundamentals. As you figure out, you might want to invest in an armed guard in the meantime.

I would think that your draw length is too long if you're doing that? I'm not sure I've ever had that happen to me except when I was young shooting a bow that I had no business shooting. There's a lot of good guys in Arizona they could help you out.
This /\
Excessive draw length will make you over arch your chest and bring the string too close to your arm.
And... don't fist hold. Loosen up the grip and relax fingers forward at the end of the draw.

Thanks!

I am in AZ. I use Timber Archery pro shop in Mesa.
Did they not measure your draw length correctly? I remember when I purchased my first bow nearly 4 decades ago. I can barely pull the bow to measure the draw length. I struggled through it until they were able to measure. They then asked me if I would use an overdraw and release; they had to take another measurement.

Knock on is great. I was lucky and hung out at 3 shops when younger, was a bow junkie.You need help with fit meant ,grip and arm position.That will give you real bad habits the way it is.Do a Lot of fundamentals first and blank bale work.Get a draw trainer ,can make one easy with piece of wood and paracord

This /\
Excessive draw length will make you over arch your chest and bring the string too close to your arm.
And... don't fist hold. Loosen up the grip and relax fingers forward at the end of the draw.
I will check again. I think the problem was fist holding, my release was a little too long, and trying to pull my shoulders together too much. I got too many wrong all at once.