Optimal 7mm SAUM barrel length

wilkup

This rifle will be used first as a big game hunter but possibly banging steel and punching paper for fun too if it's a shooter. I want it to be as light and handy as possible, without giving up too much in regards to accuracy and velocity.
I have a Bartlein #3 to chamber and cut to length. I'm thinking 22-24", but leaning hard towards the shorter option.
I am hoping to run 162gr at 3000FPS, 140gr at 3200FPS, 120gr at 3400FPS.
Any help from those who have this round would be greatly appreciated.

On a rifle, I'd go no shorter than 24" on bbl length. My XP-100 has a 17.5" bbl in the 7mm SAUM. I am pushing 150's at 2825 FPS and 168's at 2650-2675 FPS.

The numbers you listed for velocity might need a longer tube.

I have been shooting my semi custom 7 saum for 7 years now, and have loaded several different powders from H4831 to Magnum. My best ever velocity with 168 Classic Hunter was 3092 fps. I just loaded this to see how fast I could get it. This was with a 24 1/2 inch barrel 8.5 twist.
( this barrel is for sale.)

If you want to go faster, I don't know how you're gonna do it with a shorter barrel.
Maybe lighter bullets and a slower twist like 9.5 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts