Opening Day In Colorado

COBrad

Today was the opener, and I ended up working most of the day. Got out this morning for a couple of hours, and didn't even find a turkey turd.
Driving home late this afternoon I saw a couple gobblers walking across a hay field, and just happened to run into the rancher a half mile down the road. I quick howdy and I'm in. Dashed home and headed back the couple miles to my new favorite turkey place. After a couple hours and three different sets, I moved back toward the truck and heard a distant gobble coming from a jungle of oak brush. I set up at the edge and started calling. In just a few moments he is gobbling from the brush right in front of me. Another moment and I can see him coming. I fired as he walked by at maybe 20 yards.
This is my first turkey with a shotgun, and first attempt calling them. Beginners luck, but I'll take it.

Attachments

• tom1.jpg
    tom1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.