only post

600 yards wasn't challenging anymore...

So I picked up a stick with I sharp pointy thing on the end..... Challenging is an understatement......LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Plus, it is way cheaper to Reload.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you are going to post in this section for the one and only time, let me add my only post as well. The only use i have found for bows is fishing. Cutler marsh was heaven for a couple of years.

GG,

You haven't hunted until you use a bow. It is HUNTING! Heart pounding, intimate hunting.

Another bugle rings out. Suddenly you are no longer cold. They're close! Less than one hundred yards. You motion your partner to stay and creep up ten more yards. It's dark in the big pines, and there's frost on the few wisps of grass.
You stop next to a huge pine you couldn't wrap your arms around. Your partner lets out a soft whine behind you and three bulls blast back. Your heart pounds heavily. You know they're coming. Please don't let the wind swirl! A loud crash makes you jump. They've gone. No! They're fighting over who gets to come to your partners calls. Antlers flash in the trees as a tawny battle unfolds. The heavy bull pushes the other down the hill in a cascade of dirt and pine needles. He chases him a short distance then whirls back towards you. Steam explodes upward as he bugles in victory. You draw as he passes behind some brush at fourty yards. He steps into the open, stopping to look for the cows. He's facing you head on. You watch through your peep, wondering if he'll give you the broadside shot you need. An hour or two pass as he looks around.

Slowly he eases down a path to your left. At twenty yards, the big pine blocks him from your view. Inch by enormous inch you lean back and bring your bow around for a down hill shot. Please don't let the wind swirl! A step brings his head and neck into view at ten feet. His bugle almost makes you flinch as it echoes through your chest. Just one step! Steam rises from his back and nostrils and gently drifts toward you. He lifts his left front foot and slides forward a foot. The top pin settles behind the shoulder like a bright golf ball in a sand trap. Your brain is screaming NOW! But still you watch in disbelief.

The fletchings flash bright against his hide as it opens to let them in. You note a tiny spot of blood running down his side as he whirls downhill. The arrow flips out the other side as he crashes down the mountain. Suddenly it's quiet.

Your partner comes down the hill and clasps your hand. Yes! Your hands start to shake as you reach for your water. Slowly you sit down. Best to give him a bit....

You'll come around. Maybe when you learn to ride horses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is the bull. He fell in a rootball hole from a downed tree. His hindguarters are still in it. Thank the dear lord for horses!

scan.jpg

My wife didn't used to let me take "the" camera. My hunting partners skills don't include photography. And the five dollar disposables didn't help. I now have my own little digital just for hunting.

It is all about a nice day in the woods and a challenge, no matter what you are hunting with. That is the good thing about the new expanded format.

Did you ever see A fat indian? they always looked in the movies like they were not getting enough to eat pretty much sums up bowhunting for me

Nice story Grit

What I don't understand is if it's so sick you can kill it with a "stick" how do you dare eat it ???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GG, maybe this should be in the new humor section!!
CAM

I personally get charged up over hunting big game with any weapon. I have killed deer with rifle, revolver, muzzleloader and bow. Next on my list is shotgun with slugs. I can get just as excited over a clean 500 yd rifle kill as a clean 20 yard bow kill.

We all tend to choose one form of hunting to focus the majority of our effort on. For me it is bowhunting. The other forms all tie for second place. Obviously I am into long range hunting as well, otherwise I wouldn't frequent this site.

I think the one thing that most of us here share in common is the desire to master our craft and prepare ourselves, our equipment and our technique to the best of our abilities.

Hey Goodgrouper,
I'm glad you don't bowhunt. That means I get first crack at the bulls when I finally draw my limited entry archery bull tag for Utah. I'll try to leave you one or two to choose from! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For what it is worth, Hunting is hunting no matter what the weapon is. Any division among hunters gets us all that much closer to losing what we all cherrish more than just about everything else. I don't mean to get on a soap box, but as an avid archer, I do see first hand the division between hunters of different weapon choice. Usually it the bow hunter that takes it in the shorts because there is not as many. Also there is an eliment of bow hunters that hate me because of the kind of archery eqipment I use, and will join with rifle hunters to limit bow season in order to get rid of those archers who hunt w/ both archery and rifle. Untill we all get together the risk is greater to all of us that we will lose our passion sooner than later. I appoligize for the seriousness and length of the note.

On a positive note, untill you have had the chance to live that great story, you are missing something incredible. It is so great I have read few if any stories that can do it justice.

Thanks to all of you for letting me vent.
Steve

I have grown up rifle hunting in southeast ks and have taken many deer so far including four 130in. plus whitetails all with a rifle. In my opinion however there is nothing more challenging than getting 20 yards from a 150 class whitetail and trying to stick him with an arrow. But hey its all in fun and I just love the outdoors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I should have said "only thread" instead of "only post".

You guys have all made some great comments and I think that if you like bowhunting that is great for you. I have nothing against it (other than I don't think it deserves it's own season) but the darn things just don't go far enough, cause enough damage, or make enough noise for me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey, since this is a long range forum, maybe this subsection should be dedicated to bowhunting past 40 yards? Man, I just don't know how you guys can have the patience to get within that distance. Would drive me crazy knowing the bull of my dreams was standing broadside at 60 yards and all I could do was wave at him!

10-4 on the hunters uniting though. I would never dream of taking bow hunting away from someone just because I don't like it. Just as I hope no one would ever try to take long range hunting away from me if it didn't agree with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.