one rifle for everything

When I was a kid, I once took half a dozen tasty small game birds with a 22 LR before the rest flew off. I know, I know, pot-shooter! 🤣

Purty dang good shooting though, knockin' their wee little heads off 😜👍

Back in the '60's, put a lot of Robins in the freezer using a .177 Benjamin Pump….. a bunch of them makes for good Gumbo! 😉 memtb

Back in the '60's, put a lot of Robins in the freezer using a .177 Benjamin Pump….. a bunch of them makes for good Gumbo! 😉 memtb
On the farm where I grew up in the 1950s. Neighborhood pal would catch crawfish. A piece of tin on two bricks. Built a fire and cooked those crawfish and ate them. His name was Terry Tippens,

Ha ha! Mine never saw the freezer. I remember like it was yesterday even though it was 47 years ago. Walking home late afternoon from my buddy's farm. Heard them whistling for ol' bob white. I jumped the ditch and crawled under some sumac. They were just sitting there a little down hill of me, about a dozen of them 15 yards away and more calling out of sight. Every time I'd shoot that old springfield auto loader they'd jump up and then gather 'round their buddy looking sideways at him/her trying to figure out why he was flapping around on the ground. I still can't believe they let me shoot 6 before they flew off 🤣👍

Its got to be 2 guns

1 open sight walking rifle/carbine
1 scoped rifle

And they are backup to each other if one fails

No you wouldnt carry them both, but keep the one you aren't carrying in the truck or at base/camp

Ha ha! Mine never saw the freezer. I remember like it was yesterday even though it was 47 years ago. Walking home late afternoon from my buddy's farm. Heard them whistling for ol' bob white. I jumped the ditch and crawled under some sumac. They were just sitting there a little down hill of me, about a dozen of them 15 yards away and more calling out of sight. Every time I'd shoot that old springfield auto loader they'd jump up and then gather 'round their buddy looking sideways at him/her trying to figure out why he was flapping around on the ground. I still can't believe they let me shoot 6 before they flew off 🤣👍
A friend, an avid bird hunter trained his dogs to not chase rabbits. It could interfer with bird hunting. He sat in his yard and watched his dogs watching rabbits eating his garden.

Nosy neighbors made him not use his .22.

A friend, an avid bird hunter trained his dogs to not chase rabbits. It could interfer with bird hunting. He sat in his yard and watched his dogs watching rabbits eating his garden.

Nosy neighbors made him not use his .22.
Personally I had a peach tree in my back yard and squirrels eating my peaches. My housekeeper brought her pellet rifle and suggested she could make a squirrel and peach pie.

Took her up on it. Zeroed in on one of the tree rats. Drilled the bugger through! He fell, bloody, in my open hot tub! My wife, at the time, insisted that I drain the hot tub, scrub and refill it. So I kept the cover on the hot tub unless we were in it!

Last edited:

Recent Posts