Ok which bullet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We in CA were forced to switch to copper as lead was banned. There was nothing local you could find and VERY hard on the net.
I was a Navy brat born in North Island Naval Air Station in your neck of the woods. My military home of records is in Fairfield, CA. Thanks to the USAF, I left CA in 1989 and never looked back. 🤣 My wife and I still have families all over CA and like the occasional visits.

Not sure what caliber you load for, but here's one from your home state, https://www.mcguireballistics.com/about, and here's an old thread for your information, https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/lead-free-bullet-compilation.290864/. Good luck and happy, safe hunting/shooting.

We'll, I'd love to be a hammer guy, but after rebarreling my 25-06 with an 8 twist barrel so I could shoot the 116 grain hammers, it still won't shoot past a hundred. At a hundred yards, 1/2-5/8" groups are the norm. At 200 yards, 4" is the norm. I give up.

I've had great accuracy and unreal performance from the Barnes ffsx. I shot a good bull in your upcoming new home state this past October. I used the 168 grain ttsx propelled by my 300 win mag. He was broadside and the ttsx went all the way through him and broke the upper offside leg joint (he was slightly down hill from us). A true 1 and done situation. I've never tried the hammers but given the terminal performance of the Barnes ttsx I don't think I need to…

Good luck and shoot a big one!!!

We'll, I'd love to be a hammer guy, but after rebarreling my 25-06 with an 8 twist barrel so I could shoot the 116 grain hammers, it still won't shoot past a hundred. At a hundred yards, 1/2-5/8" groups are the norm. At 200 yards, 4" is the norm. I give up.

I commend you for trying your load at a longer distance. IME, most won't do so they'll just be comfy with their rock star 100 yard bench load...

Call me 812-264-6183

I'd look at a heavy Berger to try next.

Something going on. Curious if you have tried the Hammer Hunter, 110gr? Looks like the 116gr is a Shock Hammer, which I have not tried except in 45-70 which is not really comparable. I might try to scrub down the barrel really good and try Hammer Hunter bullets, 110gr or 121gr (available in sample pack of 15). Also call Hammer, they are very helpful.

I've had consistent results out to 350 yards with Hammer Hunters. Waiting to shoot farther when I have the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.