Official Hammer bullets Terminal Performance (picture heavy)

I had only time to try one load. My throat is such that bullet seating depth is a non-issue. I'll just load up the 260s and try them. This gun has been very easy to find loads for. I was hoping the long bullets would shoot well the first time out. I've been working long hours this week and no time to play. I'm flying out on a deer hunt Sunday so i need to get ready for it. As soon as i get back I'll have to get ready for the grizzly hunt. Just didn't have enough time to do it right. On another note, I've never had a load shoot 2 moa and then find a better load for this rifle with that bullet that shot sub moa. Maybe my rifle just doesn't like the 285s. The 260s are well under a moa so I'll just go with them.
You know how rifles are........some like certain bullets and others don't. The 260's will be great for you if already shooting well under moa. Who knows with the 285's. You may just have to play with them, or not load them at all. I'd send Steve Davis at Hammer Bullets an email and ask what he would suggest you do trying to load the 285's. He'll help get you dialed in, or have you send the bullets back and he'll trade them for something else.

Did you think you wouldn't have to do any load development? Hammers are completely different that ELD's, so you got lucky the 260 gr shot well with your same ELD load. Load development is generally very easy and quick, but you still have to do it. You'll get more velocity with Hammers over any cup and core bullet.

Listen Dennis, if you want some advice on loading Hammers, just ask. There are a lot of us on this site that have been loading these bullets for years. Some are extremely knowledgeable, and you even have the owner of Hammer Bullets on this site always willing to help. Butterbean is a wealth of knowledge and just a great dude. GLTaylor is also very knowledgeable and he took the time to organize an entire spreadsheet of members load data for both Hammer Hunters and Absolute Hammers.
X2

I don't mean to be a Dingus, but can we try keep this thread to topic of Picture Heavy Terminal Performance?

Here are a couple of great places to post and read load data.

Thanks!!

Hammer Hunter Load Data

Absolute Hammer Load Data

Not sure if he's (Dallas Hardaway) on here or not but I'm following the results of a .224 driving the 76gr AH 4050fps with fireform loads.

Just got back from my NM pronghorn hunt. Using the 120 gr HH at 3541 fps in my 280 AI. Shot was 475 yards in heavy rain and high winds (25-35+ mph). He dropped like a sack of potatoes. My wind hold call was off. Should have held another 3 moa, but still got the job done. Close up is the entrance wound

Attachments

• 350DA31D-F974-4997-84EB-C23ABECB89B7.jpeg
    350DA31D-F974-4997-84EB-C23ABECB89B7.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 8E3A2DCE-BEE0-4FDF-8FBC-2E16AD1550A9.jpeg
    8E3A2DCE-BEE0-4FDF-8FBC-2E16AD1550A9.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 138
Just got back from my NM pronghorn hunt. Using the 120 gr HH at 3541 fps in my 280 AI. Shot was 475 yards in heavy rain and high winds (25-35+ mph). He dropped like a sack of potatoes. My wind hold call was off. Should have held another 3 moa, but still got the job done. Close up is the entrance wound
Good job Doug, as always. No doubts here. Nice speed goat.

No, it was broadside in a howling wind with rain. I think the wound is a combination of entrance and exit all in the neck. Impact velocity should have been about 2451 fps.

No, it was broadside in a howling wind with rain. I think the wound is a combination of entrance and exit all in the neck. Impact velocity should have been about 2451 fps.
I've been there. missed wind call at 361y quartering away with a .243. shot the lope through the black cheek patch. It's quite an effective shot placement ;) even if accidental.

I spent 14 days on the north slope. My one chance at a bear came quickly and the 340 was put away out of the rain. Grabbed the 300PRC and figured out the shot. 650 yards, 210 Berger.
I did shoot a caribou with the 260 HH.
A sample of one but I'll say they're definitely explosive
Hit high above the spine. Made a real mess
Wish i had a better opportunity.

Attachments

• IMG_5797(1).jpg
    IMG_5797(1).jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 128

Recent Posts