Odd - primers blown out bolt jam

Something odd going on. Bought 10 boxes of factory Weatherby ammo
Used in a relatively new 6.5-300 weatherby vangaurd
140 grian select interlock muz velocity 3275 fps
One of the boxes 3 rounds blew out primers
The bolt also jammed, had to put considerable force to pull it up and eject
I wasn't watching if the bolt jammed on the same rounds as the primer blew out. Only noticed those later. but it did jam 3 times and 3 primers blew. So I assume that was the case
Also horrible groups ... Was shooting < 1 moa but with this ammo 2-3
But hey, that could also be me.

Any idea what would cause this? What to do about it? See pic

Attachments

• 20220909_163240.jpg
    20220909_163240.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 175
When I started shooting seriously a few decades ago, I was surprised when some factory 30-06 rounds I was shooting blew some primers and caused stuck bolts. I complained to my dad about this. He whacked me up the side of my head and scolded me for letting the rounds bake in the summer sun. I have since taken great pains to keep my ammo cool and shaded!

Any chance that is what happened to you?

When I started shooting seriously a few decades ago, I was surprised when some factory 30-06 rounds I was shooting blew some primers and caused stuck bolts. I complained to my dad about this. He whacked me up the side of my head and scolded me for letting the rounds bake in the summer sun. I have since taken great pains to keep my ammo cool and shaded!

It was a hot day, 88, and I was sitting in the sun
But they were not out for long

Your fired brass shows clear signs of excessive pressure. The blown primers are a readily apparent sign of unsafe pressure. You also have ejector marks on the headstamp (ejector swipe). The primers that are not blown are cratered and flattened.

I advise against shooting any more of that ammo until you find out why the sky high pressure.

Your fired brass shows clear signs of excessive pressure. The blown primers are a readily apparent sign of unsafe pressure. You also have ejector marks on the headstamp (ejector swipe). The primers that are not blown are cratered and flattened.

I advise against shooting any more of that ammo until you find out why the sky high pressure.
Thanks for the advice. Will put that box aside and contact Weatherby

Something odd going on. Bought 10 boxes of factory Weatherby ammo
Used in a relatively new 6.5-300 weatherby vangaurd
140 grian select interlock muz velocity 3275 fps
One of the boxes 3 rounds blew out primers
The bolt also jammed, had to put considerable force to pull it up and eject
I wasn't watching if the bolt jammed on the same rounds as the primer blew out. Only noticed those later. but it did jam 3 times and 3 primers blew. So I assume that was the case
Also horrible groups ... Was shooting < 1 moa but with this ammo 2-3
But hey, that could also be me.

Any idea what would cause this? What to do about it? See pic
Send Weatherby an e-mail with lot numberand details/pic,, they will probably want the ammo back and replace it for you.

summer months I take my ammo to range in a cooler with a cool pack. reverse in winter - I try to keep it as protected as I can.

Do you have a bore-scope? Betcha there's a carbon ring or similar in the leade. Weatherbys have a pretty long free bore to tolerate the extra pressure they run, if there's something tightening up that free bore you'll certainly have pressure issues.

Something as simple as a treatment with JB bore compound can open it back up if it's determined to be an issue.

Don't shoot the remaining 7 rounds! Contact Weatherby. Have your bolt face and lugs checked out for damage.

Don't know what sequence was when you were shooting but I d of stopped after 2, maybe one, of those hot rounds. You fired 13 …. Yikes!!