Not sure where to post this!

Clem Bronkoski

Went to the range today to test a bunch of different types of ammo to see what shot best out of my Bergara BMR 22 LR. I had 10 different types of ammo and shot 5 shots of each shooting 5 shot groups in no particular order letting the barrel cool for about 2 mins between groups.
Turns out the rifle like Federal Target and CCI Mini-Mags the best followed closely by Norma Tac 22. Both Remington Target, Cyclone and High Velocity were horrible. Aguila and CCI Std Velocity were OK but nothing to brag about. The three different Win types I shot generally shot good but each one had a flyer. More shooting would have to determine if they were inconsistent.
All ammo was shot at 50 yards using a Caldwell Bipod and sand bags on the butt. Rifle has a very nice trigger and is topped with a Leupold 4.5 - 14X Vari X III.

Attachments

• BMR Ammo test.jpg
    BMR Ammo test.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 197
  • BMR.jpg
    BMR.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 179
Most 22s seem to have a round they prefer! I did not count the different brands I tried in my CZ, but they included Eley Tenex! Lucky for me it loves Federal Auto Match. All Federal did have a heavier waxy lub that mine really likes. If you can find they try some of Federal's match rounds.

Sweet rig. I'd suggest cleaning it and trying some Lapua CenterX in it. I've heard those are really good shooting rifles!
I'll see if I can find some but if not I'm happy with the Fed Target and/or CCI Mini Mags. They are from every review I've seen but there was one guy on YouTube that either doesn't know how to shoot, didn't try enough ammo types or just got a lemon. But apparently he was frustrated with his BMR! I shot all these rounds today and found 3 brands that you can shoot 5 shots and cover the group with a dime (including the "flyers). What more do you want a 22 LR to do at 50 yards?
Most 22s seem to have a round they prefer! I did not count the different brands I tried in my CZ, but they included Eley Tenex! Lucky for me it loves Federal Auto Match. All Federal did have a heavier waxy lub that mine really likes. If you can find they try some of Federal's match rounds.
Dwight is Federal Match different from Federal Target?

I have found Federal Gold Medal Target, 711B ammo to shoot ok. I would get a nice grouping then 1 or 2 flyers every 5 shot group. SK Std or SK Rifle Match is worth a try. Also see if Eley Club likes your rifle. As is, if the Federal ammo shoots like that all the time you are looking good. Next check see how it does at 100 yards.

I have performed similar testing in my Winchester 52 C and found the FIOCHI 320 Match to outperform all the others including most of what you tested. It is my go-to ammo for my 52 , superseded only by R-50.

Lot to lot variation is as important, if not more important, than line to line variation. I've tested some lots of SK standard that shoot better than some lots of Midas, but have always found the best lots of Midas (or other higer end ammo) outshoot the best lots of Standard Plus in my rifle. If you redo the test in 6 months when there's new lots of ammo on the shelf you might find very different results. Once you find ammo your gun likes it's a good idea to buy as much as you can and anticipate you'll be retesting when you run out. Unfortunately it's hard to find a retailer that can provide several lots for the purpose of testing and guarantee you'll be able to buy a case once you're done testing right now. I've resorted to taking my match rifle to Lapua's test center as they only test lots they know they can sell you buy the case.

Supplies of 22 rimfire ammo here in Canada now hard to find. Only a very few varieties on shelves these days. Not sure why. First time I have ever seen Cabela's completely out of rimfire ammo a few months back. Not sure how the U.S supplies are.
Coming back. Prices have been very high, but coming down now. Now in the $5.00 per box range. Have to watch on prices. They are all over the place. I have plenty in stock. So I don't worry about it. I don't shoot that much with them either. Normal us 22mg and 17WSM cartridges now. The 17WSM are in very short supply presently, Again I have plenty of them too.

Went to the range today to test a bunch of different types of ammo to see what shot best out of my Bergara BMR 22 LR. I had 10 different types of ammo and shot 5 shots of each shooting 5 shot groups in no particular order letting the barrel cool for about 2 mins between groups.
Turns out the rifle like Federal Target and CCI Mini-Mags the best followed closely by Norma Tac 22. Both Remington Target, Cyclone and High Velocity were horrible. Aguila and CCI Std Velocity were OK but nothing to brag about. The three different Win types I shot generally shot good but each one had a flyer. More shooting would have to determine if they were inconsistent.
All ammo was shot at 50 yards using a Caldwell Bipod and sand bags on the butt. Rifle has a very nice trigger and is topped with a Leupold 4.5 - 14X Vari X III.
I appreciate your post. Good job! đź‘Ť I enjoy whenever anyone does their own evaluations/testing.
It never ceases to amaze me how almost every rifle has a favorite & too, a dislike as well! (Funny how sometimes one gun's pride is another gun's curse. I guess we've all seen that)
IMO: We did a 2+ year ammo study using every .22 rifle & handgun that we could bring, shooting in ALL types of weather ranging from single digits & hard snow to 100° summer drought to rain in all temps.
As amateurs we evaluated firing & feeding/loading reliability as well as accuracy from 20 feet to 250 yards. We used revolvers, semi-auto pistols, bolt action single shot & repeating rifles, semiauto rifles as well as very old & brand new ones. We stored ammo cold, damp, hot & dry, as well as aged & new, trying to be as fair as possible within our limited parameters - really mixing it up. (While I TRY to never bash nor promote any brands I sometimes reply or answer someone and then as honestly as possible)
IMO: OUR findings were that our Remington Round Nose Golden Bullets were OUR favorite overall contender with the standard Federal blue box right on it's heels! (Both 40 grain) Some types of CCI, Aguila & Winchester tested were all VERY close.
Please keep in mind that perhaps your favorite brand/weight/type of ammo was not even tested due to local availability & in that same light - fewer than 8 brands of firearms were used. Sorry that we couldn't include many more but hey - we're poor, we have other things to do & ammo was hard to get sometimes!
I cannot list all of the ammos used. We used several different brands & models of firearms. Other than many ammo snarls, (hey....we shot a few THOUSAND rounds!), anazingly only one weapon* disappointed early-on & it was quickly disqualified!
We did all this at considerable cost of personal time & money to ourselves & no one else. We solicited no funding, firearms or ammo from any businesses or companies. We hot no kick-back from anyone. (In closing there was one funny quirk, though this is not an endorsement: Of all the handgun, rifle & ammo combos that we used we DID seem to find a rifle that "appeared" to have little or no favorite .22 ammo, (at least that we could discern), shooting remarkably well with anything that we chambered & that was a couple of little xxxxxx xxxxxxx. They chewed, swallowed & "digested" anything that we shoved down their throats) In all fairness, these are single shot bolt actions with very little to go wrong.
Again, we attempted to evaluate everything, not just accuracy. We limited the number of shooters to only 2 in an effort to minimize differences in people's abilities.
We were amateurs being as honest & unbiased as possible with what we could procure & all tests were outdoors. (I only wish that one of the magazines would do an as in-depth, 2+ years long, test in ALL seasons/weather using even more ammos & even more brands of firearms than we did. Heck, it would likely fill an entire issue.

*This was a vintage, long-ago discontinued brand of rifle.