North Central Ohio Wood Chucks

Killa,TH and Buzz, I'm just getting into groundhog hunting and cant believe the numbers my shooting buddy/mentor and I are seeing in Crawford and Wyandot counties. We have taken 30+ out of one field in Sycamore already and he says there are more to take. I live 2 hours away and work full time so I cant hit the fields like he can since he's retired. He's up to 90 kills so far this year. Where I live I dont see 90 hogs in 10 yrs.....

Sounds like your friend found a honey hole. Better kill them quick before the beans get too tall. Do you guys have any fields where you can make long shots?

I'm guessing there are some 5-600yd shots maybe longer. Most of the shots we have been taking are the 150-300yd. My friend has a bunch of fields to shoot and luckily the beans seem to have been planted at intervals which will allow us to shoot for a few more weeks. You are definitely right about the "honey hole", had I not been part of it I would not believe the story of the numbers of the hogs taken from one field. I'm not great at guessing but I think the honey hole field is about 500 x 300yds and we have already taken more then 30 out of it. :D

North columbus here...very familiar with upper sandusky and nw ohio area since I grew up there...25 miles due west of Lima.

It appears as thought there are several of us around the Crawford/ wayandot county area I think it would be a good time if maybe we arranged a get together at a field some evening and killed a few Hogs. A couple years ago we done this and set up a 8x10 canopy over the shooting tables and ordered a pizza. I Rolled one hog that day I missed it the first time and then took a sighter shot at a 5" rock at 750 yards. I nailed it and then when the hog came back I drilled him the 25-06AI shooting a 100G SMK . I am avalible this week to go out so whoever wants to Just let me know where and when.

I cant believe the amount of game up that way. I drove straight up 68 from the Dayton area and saw 1 deer and 1 hog and that wasn't until I hit Kenton. From the 68- 30 interchange to North Robinson I saw 11 deer and a few hogs, this was after 9am. I'll be doing some bowhunting up there come fall. I've been told there is a slew of coyotes up that way too. A guy I know and his group got 145 last year. I guess they run them with dogs and standers. Again, unbelievable numbers.

Working this wknd. but planning on being up that way Sunday evening and Monday. I can't very well invite anybody to the places I'm being invited to but I will talk to the guy showing me the ropes and see what he says. If nothing else we could meet at Gus's in Bucyrus after shooting for a cold drink and conversation.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.