Norma Oryx Bullets

SergeantD

Is anyone loading/hunting with Norma Oryx bullets in 7mm Rem Mag or 308 Win? I'd like to know how they perform.

Thanks

About four years ago my cousin shot a large Bull Moose with the 180 grain Norma Orxy with a 30.06.The Moose was about 200 yards away when he shot it and it only went a few yards before it hit the deck. It was factory ammo fired from a Cooper Excalibur. My cousin was based in Canada at the time and he sent me a photo of a group after he had sighted in his rifle at 100 yards. A dime would have covered the group.
Here in NZ I have shot deer with the 55 grain Oryx from both a 223 Rem and a 22-250. Their BC is poor but I have found them to be extremely accurate. I fired one out of my 223 through a 6" very solid piece of gum tree and found the bullet 8" into the clay bank behind. It started at 55 grains and still weighed 53 grains and doubled in diameter. Here's a photo of a 5 shot group shot at 100m from my Schultz and Larsen 22-250. It measures 0.501"
20190908_150526.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry can't help in those calibers but I have loaded Oryx bullets in 6.5 caliber and they are very accurate and worked well on many African animals including Leopard.

Is anyone loading/hunting with Norma Oryx bullets in 7mm Rem Mag or 308 Win? I'd like to know how they perform.

Food for thought, I hunt with the Swift A-Frame in my 308. In my research.. very similar to the Oryx in design. Anywho.. great performance. But.. the Swift May have better selection/availability.

As far as accuracy, I have had good luck with factory 165's in my 300wsm. No personal data for on-game performance yet, but I'll be plugging them into an elk this October.

The oryx bullet is very common in Scandinavia, it is used as a allround bullets in calibers such as 308 and 6.5x55. using heavy for caliber bullets (156 grains in 6.5 and 180 for 308.) and usually inside 200m.
Used on anything from roe deer (~ 60 lbs) to moose (some what smaller than the american counter part)

They are quite soft, but bonded so they mostly do stick together nicely, even when hitting bone on moose.

I would expect them to be (too?) destructive in the 7mm mag. with a sacrifice in penetration.
I belive Norma makes a factory load for the 7mm mag with 170 grain oryx, so it should be a viable option.

If i had one choice on caliber and bullet for all Scandinavian hunting it would be .308win with a 180 grain oryx.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts