Night vision options

archanfire

Hello all, I hope you are well in these trying times. I am looking into nightvision scopes, and would like some input if I may get it. Im not going all in and spending 3-5k for a high end setup, but would like a decent quality/entry level unit. I'm considering a Sightmark Wraith 4-32 or something in the ATN line to get started. My local gunsmith has an ATN and strongly prefers them over Sightmark, but not having any experience at all with nightvision, I'm looking for anyone with experience with either manufacturer. The're both made in China, but outside of that and configuration differences, I'm at a loss. I dont care about recording features or anything other than being able to put a clean, ethical shot on coyotes, hogs etc. I can get a NIB wraith for $425(avg $700 normally), so wasn't sure if I should spend on that, or save almost double that for an ATN LT base model.

Thanks in advance and God Bless

Edit: Will be used on 556 and 308 rigs. Thanks

Last edited:
I know it's not what you asked, but they have very affordable thermals now. Unless you want to spend a lot more the lower end night vision isn't worth it to me. If you are sitting on a stand and shooting hogs over bait it may work. But for scanning for animals, I much prefer the thermals. Check out Bering optics and IRay

Sightmark wrath 4-32 is a good entry level, and get a better illuminator. I went to a 66lrx with the 850 turbo, the next size smaller is a 50lrx.
If you go that route make sure you get the turbo IR 850. You will be impressed

Most of the time one of us will have a thermal monocular to scan with

One of my friends has a sightmark wrath 4x max and he also uses a 66lrx with the turbo.

Friends don't let friends buy ATN. There are known issues with their products which include reticle is not centered on low magnification (you want field of view at night!) and the screen blinking out with recoil is common, requiring a restart before it stops glitching.

The Wraith series is pretty good for an extra level hunting sight. You will likely want to upgrade the illuminator to get greater range and brighter imaging.

Holosun announce the DRS variants at shot show this year which might be worth checking into. They are supposed to release fourth quarter this year and I would trust them more than an ATN or Sightmark product.

I have not used digital night vision, just regular night vision and think it works better mounted to your head. Its also not something I would recommend cheaping out on. If I were doing a rifle mounted option I would go thermal.

I had seen that. I'm trying to not get a nto the first iteration of anything so they have time to work out the bugs. Thanks for the reply!

I know it's not what you asked, but they have very affordable thermals now. Unless you want to spend a lot more the lower end night vision isn't worth it to me. If you are sitting on a stand and shooting hogs over bait it may work. But for scanning for animals, I much prefer the thermals. Check out Bering optics and IRay
Talking to my buddy, he's convinced me thermal is probably the way to go. Thanks for the response!

I've been very impressed with Sightmark Wrath Mini. You'll need a secondary IR light but all systems do unless shooting in 80% cloudless nights.
Thanks for the response and sharing your experience with them. I've read lots of reviews with some good, some bad and some have higher expectations than they should have I feel

Friends don't let friends buy ATN. There are known issues with their products which include reticle is not centered on low magnification (you want field of view at night!) and the screen blinking out with recoil is common, requiring a restart before it stops glitching.

The Wraith series is pretty good for an extra level hunting sight. You will likely want to upgrade the illuminator to get greater range and brighter imaging.
I've heard similar responses going the other way too(ATN>Sightmark). Thanks for the response!

Sightmark wrath 4-32 is a good entry level, and get a better illuminator. I went to a 66lrx with the 850 turbo, the next size smaller is a 50lrx.
If you go that route make sure you get the turbo IR 850. You will be impressed

Most of the time one of us will have a thermal monocular to scan with

One of my friends has a sightmark wrath 4x max and he also uses a 66lrx with the turbo.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the lower magnification model because light only travels so far. Like I said, I simply want to be able properly identify and get a good/ethical shot.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the lower magnification model because light only travels so far. Like I said, I simply want to be able properly identify and get a good/ethical shot.
The higher magnification for me actually helps a lot trying to pinpoint a long shot in the dark.
The 50 & 66 lrx light with the 850 turbo ir will illuminate easily 500 yards.
If you ever get a chance to test one out you will be very impressed.
As for close up shots the 4x magnification is awesome

The only downfall of the Wrath is the illuminator that comes with it, it actually sucks. But with a good illuminator it's a whole different animal

I really want to try the Iray I have been comparing them for a little while
Thanks for the reply. I've glanced at them, but haven't had a chance to really read up on them. There's a local gentleman with a VERY lightly used AGM Rattler for 700, so I may grab it for now...