Newbie to Reloading needs some help.

cursc0tt

I am getting started in reloading and I have my supplies but have had to mix and match different pieces and parts to complete my setup. I am sure I will have many more questions coming in the days, weeks, and months coming up but for now I will start with this question.

I am only loading 7mm-08 and in most of the loads it recommends Remington 9 1/2 as the primer to use. The only thing I have been able to get may hands on is 100 CCI Large Rifle BR2 primers. Can I use this primer in place of the Remington 9 1/2 since they are both Large Rifle primers?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Last thing I want to do as I start this new adventure is do something that is going to harm me or others around me. Most of the information I am basing my limited knowledge on is from Lyman 50th edition handbook, Hornady 10th edition handbook, and the 2021 Hodgdon manual. Again, this is the first of many questions I have as there is only so much I can glean form them.

I am getting started in reloading and I have my supplies but have had to mix and match different pieces and parts to complete my setup. I am sure I will have many more questions coming in the days, weeks, and months coming up but for now I will start with this question.

I am only loading 7mm-08 and in most of the loads it recommends Remington 9 1/2 as the primer to use. The only thing I have been able to get may hands on is 100 CCI Large Rifle BR2 primers. Can I use this primer in place of the Remington 9 1/2 since they are both Large Rifle primers?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Last thing I want to do as I start this new adventure is do something that is going to harm me or others around me. Most of the information I am basing my limited knowledge on is from Lyman 50th edition handbook, Hornady 10th edition handbook, and the 2021 Hodgdon manual. Again, this is the first of many questions I have as there is only so much I can glean form them.
Yes, the BR2 is my goto primer for my .270AI. What powder and bullet are you planning to use? You can also get load information from them. As always, work safely, and your reloading manuals are a great source of safety information. Good luck and happy safe loading ... take your time and enjoy the learning process,

Ed

Last edited:
Most reloading data sources will list the brass, primer, barrel length and twist, etc. used in the loads they listed with powder/bullet combos. This is for reference only and shows what specific inputs went into the velocities and pressures they report in the charts.

Using other brass/primers/barrels etc will yield different results, but is perfectly safe as long as you start low and work your way up. Welcome to the rabbit hole- enjoy it!

Feenix,

Your response leads me to my second question. Since we are in a shortage of supplies my consumables are somewhat limited.

For Powder I have 1 lb of Winchester 760, 2 lbs Winchester Staball 6.5 and 1 lb Accurate 2700. For Brass I was starting with unfired Remington brass. For Bullets I was going to start with some Barnes 120 Gr. TTSX BT.

The problem I have, is none of the loads I see for this specific bullet are using the powders I have. So the question is, do you treat all 120 Gr bullets the same and then use powder from a different recipe? For example, in the Hodgdon manual it has a load using 760 powder but it states the bullet as 120 Gr Nos. BT. Could I use this as a starting point for the Barnes TTSX.

I do have some Hornady 139 SST's, Interbonds, and Interlocks along with 150 Gr GMX. I also have some 150 Gr Nosler Accubonds. I list these incase I may be better off starting off my initial loads with one of these.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Feenix,

Your response leads me to my second question. Since we are in a shortage of supplies my consumables are somewhat limited.

For Powder I have 1 lb of Winchester 760, 2 lbs Winchester Staball 6.5 and 1 lb Accurate 2700. For Brass I was starting with unfired Remington brass. For Bullets I was going to start with some Barnes 120 Gr. TTSX BT.

The problem I have, is none of the loads I see for this specific bullet are using the powders I have. So the question is, do you treat all 120 Gr bullets the same and then use powder from a different recipe? For example, in the Hodgdon manual it has a load using 760 powder but it states the bullet as 120 Gr Nos. BT. Could I use this as a starting point for the Barnes TTSX.

I do have some Hornady 139 SST's, Interbonds, and Interlocks along with 150 Gr GMX. I also have some 150 Gr Nosler Accubonds. I list these incase I may be better off starting off my initial loads with one of these.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Yes, work up to it slowly. What's in the reloading manuals and reloading data centers are load configurations they tested before the publication. You might also want to call Barnes' technical support for advice on the powders you have in your inventory.

7mm-08 win 760 and Staball 6.5.JPG

You can also use the relative powder burn rates.

7mm-08 win Barnes 120TTSX.JPG

Power Pro 2000MR is #112 on the chart I am using, and W760 is #118, A2700 is #120, and Sta6.5 is 129. Your powders are slightly slower than what Barnes tested, but it does not mean you cannot achieve the same accuracy and velocity. That's the beauty of reloading, and you get to discover and tune a load configuration that shoots that your rifle likes.

Last edited:
For a new reloader, I'd stick with listed combinations. If you are set on the Barnes bullet, then call Barnes. Be very careful, especially with monolithic bullets, using "other" similar weight loadings.

The monolithic solids have different designs and bearing surfaces (friction) compared to lead core bullets. So you MUST be careful using data for a conventional lead core bullet, when loading a monolithic bullet (copper alloy).....

I hope this makes sense. Welcome to the hobby. Its really fun, though starting in a time where getting the powder, primer and bullet combo you want is nearly impossible really makes a newbie frustrated I suspect.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.