Newbie needs help getting started reloading!

Which Reloader would you recommend?

• Total voters

SouthTXBowhunter

My brother and I and a friend are interested in getting into reloading for our rifles. I did quite a bit of reloading as a kid, but since that was so long ago, and I've forgotten most of it AND because there's a lot of new technology out there, I need to start from the beginning. I'm looking to y'all to help us pick some equipment and find the least expensive places to buy it. We're going to share the cost and learn together.

We are wanting to load several different calibers of rifle rounds- .223, .25 WSSM, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag.

I've done some reading and poking around and I'm considering the Hornady Lock-n-Load Progressive Press and the RCBS Pro 2000 Auto-Index Progressive Press. What do y'all think about these choices? Which one would you buy, and why?

To start out, should we rely on one of the all-inclusive kits or should we order a-la-carte? Or should we buy one of the kits but upgrade one or two things like an electric case trimmer, electronic powder measure & dispenser, etc?

Where do y'all suggest we look to find the best prices? MidwayUSA? Ebay? Is there another source that tends to have the lowest prices?

Any help that y'all can give us would SURE be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Nick

Use the search function, this question has been asked and answered many times.

I'd get a good single stage press.

AJ

Use the search function, this question has been asked and answered many times.

I'd get a good single stage press.

AJ

+1 on that. there is so much information on that already. Many links with lists of what people suggest to purchase. Good luck

sorry for imposing.

I really didn't mean to make you feel unwelcome!

here are a couple links where I have found that you might be interested in:http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/i-am-going-start-handloading-need-some-help-info-27690/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/re-loading-kits-36203/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/starting-out-reloading-24243/ This was the one I was looking for. I kinda listed some of the items that I think are appropriate.

I don't use a progressive, but I've been told that the progressive systems are really ment for 06 size cases and smaller. I have also been told that dyllan is the king of the progressive.

Generally speaking progressives will work best with small ball powders or short cut powders which will somewhat limit your choices. I am a firm believer in weighing every load so I would highly suggest getting a single stage press and a didgital scale. You can get someting that will accept a progressive setup on top.

Now, if you are planning on pumping out thousands of rounds of something like 9mm luger, 223, or similar cartidges and don't need the absolute precision than maybe a progressive system is going to work wonders for you.

Here is a more thorough response than the one I gave this morning (sorry, I was in a hurry getting ready for Church).

Here are some links that will help you along.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...hooters-reloading-bench-25489/?highlight=rcbs

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/reloading-press-s-34426/?highlight=rcbs

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...lease-loading-equipment-20524/?highlight=rcbs

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/my-reloading-process-33936/?highlight=rcbs

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/getting-started-reloading-38978/?highlight=rcbs

I have 2 RCBS single stage presses (for accurate/ larger cases). I also use a Dillon 650 for all my higher capacity requirments (9mm, 357, 40sw etc.)

Hope this helps,
AJ

For the calibers you have listed I would use the RBCS Rock Ckucker Supreme IV. I would also get the kit as it comes with the charge master 1500 which can't be beat for measuring powders. I have found the kit for around $600 and has enough to get you going. The charge master is $324 along and worth it. The RC Supreme is $140 along. So the kit is a good deal.

As for dies, some would have you believe that it all depends on what you be will hand loading for i.e, hunting, punching paper. I myself feel that doesn't matter! I use the best because let's face it accuracy is accuracy and thats why I hand load. I use RCBS competition dies or Redding comp dies. I even use some custom dies that I have made for a couple of calibers. I just fire form a few cases and send them with my dies out to have them made.

Case prep is probably the most important step in the process so I wouldn't skimp here. I don't use any one manufactures product but a verity. It all depends on what I'm trying to accomplish in a desired step in the process. Some companies products work better than others and because there is a lot to case prep when done correctly that should be asked on a case by case basis.

There are two companies I mostly use when buying new equipment or supplies, Cabela's & MIDWAYUSA. They usually have anything I need and their prices can't be beat or I will try the manufacture.

When I buy powders or primers I use a local gun shop because of the additional $20 - $25 hazardous handling fee you pay for having it shipped. They spread out this cost to all customers so you really don't feel it.

So you may ask, How much does it cost for accuracy? I have nearly $3,500 invested in equipment to hand load for 7 different calibers which are .308, 7mm, 25-06, 44 mag "rifle", 45-70, 338 WM.

this might be some help for you..
Reloading 101: Reloading basics for the new reload - Sniper's Hide Forums

I would get a good single stage press and work from there (good set of calipers, headspace gauge, primer pocket tools, chamfer tools, trimmer, die set, and very important:reloading manual such as Lyman or Nosler -these will really give you a solid foundation, then when you think you know it, keep reading more and more and more and more).
Dont worry about powder, primers or bullet components right now, but learn the ins/outs of case prep. for each of those calibers and practice doing a bunch. Keep reading up, you will find there is no 'ONE' way to do it, but will learn what works best for you and your gun(s) have fun..

I just want to add one thing about reloading manuals. What ever press you decide to go with you should use their manual because it will relate more closely. That manual will help you understand the basics in each step of the process.

For me, when I first start out working up a load with a caliber, I will research the Internet to find the best bullet & powder combination for that caliber for what ever I will be using it for i.e, hunting or punching paper. Some bullet & powder companies will have load data on their website that will help give you a good starting point.

Back to manuals.

Most bullet manuals will usually have a * to denote most accurate load for a particular bullet. I will compare that to my barrels length & twist and use that powder to start with. I also look for that powder on the burn rate chart and find two other powders to compare against. Usually one a little faster and one a little slower. I also use in my work-ups two other bullets to compare also i.e, velocity & BC. Remember your trying to find what your rifle likes best.

You have to keep in mind that NOT ALL MANUAL DATA WILL CORRELATE with each other and for that reason I use manuals from the bullet & powder companies that I will be using. They know their product better than anyone else and will list the best combination. It is impossible for powder manufactures to have data for every bullet out there and thats why I will use bullet manuals to compare against. A lot of times you will find the combinations listed in both which helps.

I use 14 different manuals! You can never have enough manuals!

I agree with your two brands, RCBS and Hornady.

However, on a different note, buy a good single stage press, such as the RCBS Rockchucker supreme (recommended). Hornady's standard dies are recommended unless you're buying competition dies (RCBS standard dies are not what they used to be). A good press, caliper, headspace gauges (hornady), OAL gauge (hornady), RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo, and some other stuff to be added as you figure out what works for you. Get the manual for the bullets you load, it will help you a lot.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.