Newbie needs advice....

Wow this is great... Man you put alot of time into that post. Thanks for the great help. Right now I got about $300 to invest. I want to use the $300 to get all the equipment and some brass, powder, primers, and bullets to get started with. The minimum amount of equipment cost might be best for me right now but of course I want to get the best bang for my buck. I will go check out all the equipment you listed and will go pick up a manuel today at the gun shop.

Do you think I can get started on $300??? Looks like it is possible with the minimum stuff you listed.

DoubleG

I'd get a better press, as that will last you forever. The rest of the cheap kit will work great, throw in a powder trickler MidwayUSA - RCBS Powder Trickler
and you should be good to go.

You could add a cheap yet very functional powder measure MidwayUSA - Lee Perfect Powder Measure
instead of the little dippers. For a difference of less than $20

Hope this all helps,

AJ

ps: Where are you located, if you happened to be down the road here, I have some stuff I could loan out.

Thanks yet again..... I live in Brandon, MS which is pretty much the same as Jackson, MS. Are you anywhere close to that?

Got your PM..... Thanks for the info.. It is all starting to come together. I got a manual yesterday and have read all the steps to reloading. I now see the need for alot of the equipment and it makes more sense now. I will read the manual a couple more times and look again at the lists of supplies you gave me.

I hope to come up with a full list by the end of the day for review. I am ready to get some stuff ordered and on the way!

DoubleG

DG

Okay just read this whole post I think I have a plan for you. First bring your .280 to me for a couple days. I will work you up a load and if you buy the brass and bullets I will load you as many as you need. You can start reloading in a year or two.
I have that sako that I got from James Jones here I will sell you for exactly what I have in it and I will even finish the stock for you first and throw in a SS 20x that I have gathering dust for free. You will need some brass for that I have plenty of bullets (I dont have dies but Tolar does) and we will work up a load and I will load you as many as you need.
Presto you are long range shooting for exactly 1K plus about 200 for rings bases and some brass and bullets. I will even give you my old range finder to use as long as you wish, if you dont have axcess to one, and help you work up some drop charts. I will even get the rings and mount everything for you and site it in.
That way yo have your .280 for normal hunting and then the .300 for busting those whitetails across thos big rye grass fields.
You know I am flexible on payments and even accept gobblecams as payment. (those are some awesom cams you build) Seriously you can get this gun scope and range finder plus reloads and all with no money down and you can just pay what you want when you want. You can even come down and shoot up my ammo in my guns while I reload your brass. Of course you may have to wait in line to shoot between telkev (scoofers boy who btw can use your prayers he is having hip surgery as I type this) and rbelote and matt and some other guys you probably know.

I feel guilty about taking you to that f-class match....errr what ya doing first Saturday in December they are having another one and you can shoot my 6x47 or my 6.5x47 and I will shoot my new 6x47. You can even use my Geraci built rest.

DG , what ever you do don't get to fondeling one of those Bat actions , I was luckey enough to play with Mr. Dons and eddybo's today and man its gonna cost me !! I may see if Mr. Don will let me sweep his shop or somthing to work off a bill to him to build me one.

Heck eddybo , maybe that purple gun will **** him off enough and I can buy it cheap :D

NO GO ON THAT PURPLE ONE........I GOT DIBBS....but he does have an extra right right three lug bat with a .308 bolt face on the way and a cool blue robertson composite stock hid around there somewhere. That purple one is going to the next f-class match with me as a 6/6.5x47.
BTW that .260 Nate built you is SWEET. The pictures dont do it justice and the heft is perfect. Now you just need to put a cap on instead of that brake and come shoot f-class with us.
All the guys that shoot at Palo Alto are great guys and there are some good shooters. If you dont want to screw that brake off you can always shoot that 6.5x47 I had at Mr. Dons today. That is if you dont mind shooting off a bipod that A5 doesnt fit in my rest too well.

Man, man, man.... You know this new gun is going to get me in trouble but the reloading would have done that also... haha... That is definitely an offer I can not refuse. I must say... You are being VERY generous here. I sure do appreciate it and will definitely take you up on your offer.

This deal is a win win situation... You are fixing me up RIGHT!!! Next time I am home I am coming to see ya. I got $300 I can give you so far and we can work out how many GobbleCams it takes to pay the rest off or I can sell a few and give you straight cash. What ever suits you the best. If you want cameras just let me know what you want and how many will settle my debt. If you think it would be better for me to buy the bullets and brass now I will go ahead and do that and pay you some money later on. I will send you an email also so we can figure out how to settle up. If you want cameras I will start building them now. If it fixing to be PRIME camera time. There is no better place to have a camera than over a scrape. You get SO SO SO many buck pictures.

I still want to get into reloading but I can wait a year or so till I get a better place to do it.

Man I am ready to shoot that thing! I got a Harris Bipod I can put on it if it has sling attachments. You are just too nice man.... Thanks again... Just go ahead and do what ever needs to be done to the rifle and let me know what I owe you.. This is so awesome...:D:D:D

Btw, I got to move Taylor into his new house first weekend in December (December 1st I believe) or I would be all over that f class match. I would much rather be shooting... Thanks for invite...

DoubleG

DG

Okay just read this whole post I think I have a plan for you. First bring your .280 to me for a couple days. I will work you up a load and if you buy the brass and bullets I will load you as many as you need. You can start reloading in a year or two.
I have that sako that I got from James Jones here I will sell you for exactly what I have in it and I will even finish the stock for you first and throw in a SS 20x that I have gathering dust for free. You will need some brass for that I have plenty of bullets (I dont have dies but Tolar does) and we will work up a load and I will load you as many as you need.
Presto you are long range shooting for exactly 1K plus about 200 for rings bases and some brass and bullets. I will even give you my old range finder to use as long as you wish, if you dont have axcess to one, and help you work up some drop charts. I will even get the rings and mount everything for you and site it in.
That way yo have your .280 for normal hunting and then the .300 for busting those whitetails across thos big rye grass fields.
You know I am flexible on payments and even accept gobblecams as payment. (those are some awesom cams you build) Seriously you can get this gun scope and range finder plus reloads and all with no money down and you can just pay what you want when you want. You can even come down and shoot up my ammo in my guns while I reload your brass. Of course you may have to wait in line to shoot between telkev (scoofers boy who btw can use your prayers he is having hip surgery as I type this) and rbelote and matt and some other guys you probably know.

I feel guilty about taking you to that f-class match....errr what ya doing first Saturday in December they are having another one and you can shoot my 6x47 or my 6.5x47 and I will shoot my new 6x47. You can even use my Geraci built rest.

We can work it out in cameras as far as I am concerned, whatever is easiest for you. Those gobble cams beat every cam that I have ever seen. I will pick up the brass bullets everything you need and we will figure out how many cams it takes. After we find you a load I will load you up 100 pieces for each and when you get those shot up just bring the brass back. Like I said no hurry on the cams.
I am proud of you guys. For a while there I was a little worried about Taylor, but am glad that he is growing up. You know that if there is ever anything that me and marty can do for yall just say the word....that is what friends/family is for. I will have it all ready for in a week or two including the ammo. You can pick it up next time your down, or me and Marty will run it up to you and get some dinner. Maybe we can even slide it past the wife somehow.
I am not sure how mine is going to take it when I tell her I gotta have a new safe cause this one is full.
I will give you a call tomorrow, but am headed out the door to Hattiesburg till tomorrow for marties comps and to visit kevin in the hospital.

Sounds great EddyBo... I will get you some cameras built. I will build you 3 of the best cameras I got and then buy some bullets and brass for the reloading. I got a good many parts here so hopefully I can get you some built before "DA RUT".... You can't beat a good camera on a scrape. It will get you a BUNCH of buck pictures...

Thanks for the kind words. You know we'd do anything for yal too... Like you said.. Thats what family is for. Hope Kevin is doing good. I will holla at ya sometime this week or just come by this weekend sometime. I will be down for opening day and hunting Progress.

DoubleG

We can work it out in cameras as far as I am concerned, whatever is easiest for you. Those gobble cams beat every cam that I have ever seen. I will pick up the brass bullets everything you need and we will figure out how many cams it takes. After we find you a load I will load you up 100 pieces for each and when you get those shot up just bring the brass back. Like I said no hurry on the cams.
I am proud of you guys. For a while there I was a little worried about Taylor, but am glad that he is growing up. You know that if there is ever anything that me and marty can do for yall just say the word....that is what friends/family is for. I will have it all ready for in a week or two including the ammo. You can pick it up next time your down, or me and Marty will run it up to you and get some dinner. Maybe we can even slide it past the wife somehow.
I am not sure how mine is going to take it when I tell her I gotta have a new safe cause this one is full.
I will give you a call tomorrow, but am headed out the door to Hattiesburg till tomorrow for marties comps and to visit kevin in the hospital.

Ain't that the truth... Well EddyBo hooked me up with a good rifle. I just got the 300 Win Mag from him that he bought from James. He got the laminate stock clear coat and got everything installed and sited it... Even reloads for me!!! MAN! Here is a picture of it... We still got to do some wet sanding but we can do that after deer season... Thanks Bo!
SAKO004.jpg

SAKO001.jpg

DoubleG

Okay you got the gun...now you just need to practice practice practice. You know you are always welcome to shoot here and even use my guns to save you some barrel wear. For a change I actually have some loaded rounds around. I usually shoot em all up as soon as I get them loaded.
I had a hard time beating the usual crowd back on that gun. That stock finished off nice.

Adam when you gonna bring that .308 back and shoot some? I got the barrel broke in on that new one and am ready to shoot. Don't be scared, that little group I shot with the .243AI was a fluke. I was holding all over the place because of the wind and just got lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.