New vs Used

I buy old weird stuff online. It has more character than anything made today, usually shoots well (or well enough). My long range guns are going to be assembled by me, potentially using parts bought online. But fun rifles or hunting rifles are often purchased used, sight unseen. The potential for being burned is always there, but so far the worst I have had happen was a poorly packaged rifle that was broken in transit.

I have acquired some extremely cool old rifles buying used that would never have been an option otherwise.

I think it comes down to what you're doing with it. For a f class rifle, build your own, or buy knowing you'll be changing it to suit you. For a close range, packable woods rifle, odds are good used will be just fine if the seller isn't a sheister.

Curious on everyone's opinion on buying a New Rifle vs one from the classifieds?

How much savings $$$ is worth the risk of buying a used gun w/o knowing how it was handled?

Beyond saving $$$, are there any other benefits of buying used?

If buying a used gun, are there specific questions you should ask to make sure you are getting an accurate shooting gun?
If you trust or respect the individual you're buying from often times a used rifle with a known good shooting load can save you time and money.

When buying a used Rifle, figure the barrel is half shot out or more. Prudent to consider the barrel completely shot out. Adjust your buying price accordingly.

One old saying seems to always be true of a man that is representing a gun for sale, "An Honest Man walks in the light so that All his Deeds are Known". An honest man will show lots of pictures, and his attitude tells all if you listen closely.

A crook will be elusive, not engage with pictures, offer no 3 Day inspection, and often offer some reason why he knows nothing. If he knows nothing about the rifle, but still wants a high price, the two do not match. At that point with these crooks, we become a victim of our lust.

Dealing with good men is a treasure in and of itself, and you will remember the blessing of having met them through the gun deal for a very, very long time.

Used rifles are like reaching into a snake basket and hope it has been defanged. Your defined need is the critical. Want to use as-is versus parts for build? Is it from a custom builder? Why is it being sold? Does the seller have a well established reputation on LRH or wherever? I have FFL friends and sometimes ask for serial number to run. Can be lots of legit reasons but can also be a snake basket. The old saying "if it doesn't feel right, probably not right for you". Your "gut" feeling can be more accurate than the rifle. It's like reloading components, "don't let need over ride common sense". I look at buying used rifles like buying used tires. There is only so much tread left and have they been "plugged" at one time.

Sometimes a custom is used for a trip and sits in safe as queen. Can be nice deal. I now buy new for tear down since easier and plenty of decent sales. You know what you are starting with.

Speaking over the phone and asking questions often reveals Snake Oil Salesmen. Consider the worth of the stock, trigger, bases, action, bottom metal, used, and discuss your "feelings" with the seller. Likewise, you do not need to "rob" the guy either. I try and sort out those individuals that have a personality defect where they need to "screw" somebody.

The $$$ risks and whether it's worth it is really up to you. A lot of it depends on a person's mechanical aptitude and being able to assess a firearm. So if you have a high level of proficiency you can assess the risks of a used firearms for a particular job vs the price. If you're buying online then you have to be able to assess the seller and the firearm. I've been pretty lucky buying used firearms with issues. One rifle had a pitted barrel which the seller was upfront with so I got a great price. Upon receiving the rifle I realized the stock was a McMillan stock and the rifle was equipped this way right from the the factory. I planned of rebarreling the rifle but it shot just fine. So it's in the same condition and was by go to rifle for many years. Still would be but I purchased a 7mm RM for longer range shots.

I purchased a used, full custom rifle on the boards. When I received the rifle, I realized that things weren't just right. The action was too long for the cartridge. The bedding didn't seem to fit correctly, and the receiver may have been changed after the bedding job. The barrel probably had more ammo through it than advertised.

All in all - there is a lot that can go wrong with buying a used, custom rifle that you can't hold or examine very well. If the savings aren't significant, build your own.

For a production rifle, round count is the biggest factor IMO. Anything else could be fixed by the manufacturer if they are still in business. It's worth noting that Ruger, who now builds Marlin rifles, won't repair Marlins that were built by Remington or older Marlins.

Your best bet would be to consider a rifle if it is being sold by a long-time poster with a good reputation. Look at the sellers feedback.
The same with old Remington and new Remington warranty claims. So if there was a recall and it was not fixed you may be on the hook if you want it fixed