New player in the contoured barrel blank market: Faxon

Darryle

I have used quite a few of their AR barrels with good results. The sub $300 price is attractive, time will be the ultimate judge about quality. Hoping they prove to be an accurate economical product.

We live in the perfect storm of product availability, uniqueness and quality, much better than just a decade ago.

Faxon Profiled Barrel Blanks

I have used quite a few of their AR barrels with good results. The sub $300 price is attractive, time will be the ultimate judge about quality. Hoping they prove to be an accurate economical product.

We live in the perfect storm of product availability, uniqueness and quality, much better than just a decade ago.

Faxon Profiled Barrel Blanks
Have you checked out the 6mm Max?

Or just a barrel?

I built an upper with one of their match series heavy fluted 18in Grendel barrels, it shot .8in groups with any factory ammo I could find and just over 1.25 with the lacquered steel case (100yards). I may have gotten lucky as it is the only Faxon barrel, I have ever had so I don't have much of a data pool. I sold the upper with it to a buddy who badgered me until I said "Alright 2x cost" thinking he would leave it alone and he instantly said deal. So I begrudgingly sold him the build. Taught me not to offer things lol. Almost two years later and I have yet to build another because I have mostly been messing with my bolt guns.
But still having had one that shot the steel case so well I wish I hadn't sold it. The other I still have has a Ballistic Advantage 20in and it shoot good ammo MOA but the steel case averages just around 2"

So for the price I will buy one if I remember when the time comes.

I have had 4 Faxon barrels, 5.56mm, 223 Wylde and a 6mm ARC

All 16" two Gunner profiles and 2 pencil profiles. The only issue I have had was the pencils walk after 3rds of steady fire. I built them for a specific purpose, so it doesn't bother me. I built a 3 groove 18" medium heavy contour that stays on target up to 10rds of steady fire, but it has a serious weight disadvantage over the lightweight Faxon barrels.

I am not saying these are the best. I am simply putting it out there. Everyone poo poo'd Aero's Solus at first, now Faxon has the FX7 action. I will buy one, it's a fixed head bolt, so no easy swaps to have a one receiver switch barrel in both magnum and standard calibers. I am curious to see what it really offers. Stag has a bolt action(although it's a Aero), PSA offers an action, who's next. I think the volatility in the name AR15 is playing a huge part in this, the people who hate it is backing dooring the demise of a great platform simply because companies are tired of being targeted. Who can blame them honestly.

Variety and competition drive innovation, we live in a great time. Just look at the sheer number of 700 clones and then look at the spectrum of options across the board. It's overwhelming and a person shouldn't have a problem finding exactly what they want in an action.

Frank Green said it best in a podcast, there is no real new machinery designs for making barrels, there is new innovative techniques of making barrels. I surmised, but you get the point.

In the firearms world, 99% of the customers have ready access to information, Faxon (any company) lives or dies on quality and service. There is no way around it.

I say, glad to have you here.

I have had 4 Faxon barrels, 5.56mm, 223 Wylde and a 6mm ARC

All 16" two Gunner profiles and 2 pencil profiles. The only issue I have had was the pencils walk after 3rds of steady fire. I built them for a specific purpose, so it doesn't bother me. I built a 3 groove 18" medium heavy contour that stays on target up to 10rds of steady fire, but it has a serious weight disadvantage over the lightweight Faxon barrels.

I am not saying these are the best. I am simply putting it out there. Everyone poo poo'd Aero's Solus at first, now Faxon has the FX7 action. I will buy one, it's a fixed head bolt, so no easy swaps to have a one receiver switch barrel in both magnum and standard calibers. I am curious to see what it really offers. Stag has a bolt action(although it's a Aero), PSA offers an action, who's next. I think the volatility in the name AR15 is playing a huge part in this, the people who hate it is backing dooring the demise of a great platform simply because companies are tired of being targeted. Who can blame them honestly.

Variety and competition drive innovation, we live in a great time. Just look at the sheer number of 700 clones and then look at the spectrum of options across the board. It's overwhelming and a person shouldn't have a problem finding exactly what they want in an action.

Frank Green said it best in a podcast, there is no real new machinery designs for making barrels, there is new innovative techniques of making barrels. I surmised, but you get the point.

In the firearms world, 99% of the customers have ready access to information, Faxon (any company) lives or dies on quality and service. There is no way around it.

I say, glad to have you here.
That's a lot of words to say Faxon barrels are hit or miss