New leica rangemaster 2800.com & kestrel with applied ballitsics

DocUSMCRetired

I just thought I would share a video on how to pair a Leica Rangemaster 2800.com to a Kestrel Elite 5700. The Leica Rangemaster 2800.com can provide the Kestrel with the Range, Firing Direction, and Inclination angle. The Kestrel will then calculate the firing solution and provide that solution on its own display as well as feed that back to the Leica which will then display the hold over in the Rangefinder. This allows for remote, hands free, operation of the Kestrel in a wind vane mount or any mount for that matter while still being able to see the firing solution in the range finder.

I recently purchased both of these devices. So far very pleased, with the exception of the lack of tMOA solution return to the Leica display. I have reached out to both companies about a possible update. So far I haven't received any good news. Hoping to enlist some support for a push on an update. Thanks Ryan

The kestrel only returns firing solutions in mil to the rangefinder, is that what you are saying?
That's what I have found. I'm a little disappointed as my hunting application is MOA based. The quick in display return seemed like the best thing since smokeless powder! My thinking is that it should be a straight forward application update if we can get Leica and Kestrel to continue strengthening this partnership.

Last edited:
I recently purchased both of these devices. So far very pleased, with the exception of the lack of tMOA solution return to the Leica display. I have reached out to both companies about a possible update. So far I haven't received any good news. Hoping to enlist some support for a push on an update. Thanks Ryan

Any updates on this? I'm extremely disappointed in this as I consider it a major problem. The Leica will display in MOA when using the Leica app, the kestrel will display the solution in MOA, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the Leica to display in MOA when linked to the Kestrel.

I could certainly be doing something wrong but I have been back and forth thru both devices a dozen times and still can't get the Leica to display in MOA.

Any updates on this? I'm extremely disappointed in this as I consider it a major problem. The Leica will display in MOA when using the Leica app, the kestrel will display the solution in MOA, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the Leica to display in MOA when linked to the Kestrel.

I could certainly be doing something wrong but I have been back and forth thru both devices a dozen times and still can't get the Leica to display in MOA.
I don't believe you are doing anything wrong. It seems only mil solutions are compatible at the moment. I have heard through a three party reviewing customer that an update is imminent. I haven't gotten either company to confirm this. Keep spreading the word, as we can be they only ones that still use MOA. Have a great day y'all!

Last edited:
An update has just been released today, which fixes the issues the unit had. It now works with the Applied Ballistics Kestrel unit Gun Profiles with SMOA, TMOA, and Mil outputs. Here is a video on how to perform the Fimware Update:

An update has just been released today, which fixes the issues the unit had. It now works with the Applied Ballistics Kestrel unit Gun Profiles with SMOA, TMOA, and Mil outputs. Here is a video on how to perform the Fimware Update:

Thanks Doc. I will do this very soon. Sounds like it's exactly what I needed.

Doc,
I just got a chance to try the update. No update popped up. My unit says the same version numbers as your video clip showed. And it still doesn't seem to work in tMOA mode. What might I be doing wrong. I believe the kestrel is up to date also.
Thanks,
Ryan

Doc,
I just got a chance to try the update. No update popped up. My unit says the same version numbers as your video clip showed. And it still doesn't seem to work in tMOA mode. What might I be doing wrong. I believe the kestrel is up to date also.
Thanks,
Ryan

What FW does your device have?

4DD8D902-22A3-4B3B-8C24-AF49840E1CF9.png
F7D16D24-4FFE-4542-81E5-12164F766BD0.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.