New info on Chronic Wasting Disease

We as humans also carry number of virus that could kill us but they don't. This i assume would be the same in animals.

CWD is not a viral illness. It is caused by prions, which are totally different. Hence no treatment has been discovered yet.

Is this similar to the 1959 cranberry scare? It was reported that cranberries caused cancer, so Thanksgiving and Christmas 1959 millions of cranberries were destroyed. It turned out yes, there was a small percentage of something in cranberries; however, you had to eat 2200 tons a day for 20 years! A couple years later, Government had to payout millions as Secretary of Agriculture had jumped the gun in 59.
It was good for me because I have always disliked cranberries.

I mean, let's talk about the people that die from eating meat from a large industrial ag company?! Yeah, probably several a year we never head about. Even if this were true, 2 people out of millions should't even warrant a news story. The CDC states 3k a year die due to food borne illness….. But as a left minded voter, I'm scared by what is happening within the confines of various states DNRs. We most certainly cannot allow anti hunters and so called "animal activists" from making laws about wildlife management.

I have helped a local butcher for years. During deer season the fish & game would bring barrels & drop off. We would put the heads in the barrels. Not separated by anything. All dropped in together. Want to guess how we got the heads off ? They sat there for a week sometimes longer before pickup. Funny thing is we never heard of one deer testing positive. Even though we were in a hot spot at the time for CWD. We had deer from different districts also. There was also a guy to go along & pickup the road kills. Or at least cut their heads off to be tested. He used a chainsaw. We were never informed to use different tools for processing deer from the livestock. They all hung in the same cooler. I would bet most deer were already processed before they got tested. If they got tested. We have been eating the hearts pickled for years. Because no one usually wants them. lol I think when you're skinning a deer. You should be able to tell if its worth keeping. As long as you are looking to see if anything that looks abnormal.
Chainsaw! Seriously

A friend heard the same news reporting the death of 2 guys and suppected to be from CWD and called Game&Fish here in Helena MT and asked for clarification.
They said to keep hunting as it regulates the deer heards but whatch what you shoot.If an animal is walking in circles or just standing alone with no other deer around,don't shoot but call us so we can kill the deer and have it tested.
The CDC said people could not get infected by Mad Cow Disease but it happened and to date over 300 people have died from it and it's a Prion disease also as CWD is so be careful and watch what you shoot and abopve all,HAVE IT TESTED!
Then enjoy your meat.

Guys I think this is an important subject. I am a whitetail deer hunter. I'm not sure about CWD. I don't know how to test my deer for CWD. and I don't understand how the discussion of this disease in agenda driven. If possible, I would like to know more about how a hunter can tell if the deer he shot has this disease. For me this has nothing to do with politics. My concern is that I have read that a mutated Prion is not destroyed in normal cooking. Any thoughts one and all??

I don't think that there is any way to determine without lab equipment. My daughter shot a Mule Deer about 10 or 12 years ago, and just didn't feel good about it when she was field dressing it. Had it tested ……came back positive for CWD! memtb

So here is a link to Mayo Clinic who I trust more than less than ethical researchers. I read this some time ago and worthy of regurgitation. It's really important to clearly understand humans have protein prions as part of our chemistry.

"Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and related conditions appear to be caused by changes to a type of protein called a prion. These proteins are typically produced in the body. But when they encounter infectious prions, they fold and become another shape that's not typical. They can spread and affect processes in the body."

"Prions are proteins that occur naturally in the brains of animals and people. Normally, the proteins are harmless, but when they're misshapen, they can cause devastating illnesses such as disease in cattle and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans."

"The risk of getting vCJD from eating contaminated beef is very low. In countries that have implemented effective public health measures, the risk is virtually nonexistent. Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease that affects deer, elk, reindeer and moose. It has been found in some areas of North America. To date, no documented cases of chronic wasting disease (CWD) have caused disease in humans."

The problem is NOBODY knows how or why the prions "fold" and become the problem they become in the human brain.

IMO, any causal EXTERNAL link must address this unique prion fold scenario in the human brain to be recognized as valid medical study. OTHERWISE SOS.

I mean, let's talk about the people that die from eating meat from a large industrial ag company?! Yeah, probably several a year we never head about. Even if this were true, 2 people out of millions should't even warrant a news story. The CDC states 3k a year die due to food borne illness….. But as a left minded voter, I'm scared by what is happening within the confines of various states DNRs. We most certainly cannot allow anti hunters and so called "animal activists" from making laws about wildlife management.

I agree with your thoughts, however this has been researched/studied/ tracked for years because of the possibility of transmission to humans.

Not saying that it did or did not happen….but, the article stating that it "MAY" have happened, makes it news worthy! IMO memtb

Guys I think this is an important subject. I am a whitetail deer hunter. I'm not sure about CWD. I don't know how to test my deer for CWD. and I don't understand how the discussion of this disease in agenda driven. If possible, I would like to know more about how a hunter can tell if the deer he shot has this disease. For me this has nothing to do with politics. My concern is that I have read that a mutated Prion is not destroyed in normal cooking. Any thoughts one and all??
Lenny Foffa you have to take your deer to a Game&Fish game station or bring it to the Game&Fish office and they do the testing.
They let you know if the deer or elk is ok to eat or not.
People that I have personally talked to said the deer they shot looked ok but smelled bad.They used gloves(everyone should use gloves).When they gutted it it smelled way different from past gutting.
Our Game&Fish said to keep hunting as it regulates the healthy deer heards from the sickly.
If the deer you shot has froth around their mouth,skinny or otherwise looks unnatural have it tested before eating it.
Edit to add:The deer and elk I have had tested didn't cost me anything.

Recent Posts