New Guy Dilemma

Caliber Choice

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • 7-08

Votes: 7 14.6%

Votes: 28 58.3%

• Total voters
I find this discussion interesting from the standpoint that all three are highly capable out to the 300 yard mark the OP stated. If one is really set on using energy to evaluate the effectiveness of a round then you should pick the larger bullet. The reality of this situation is that there is not much difference between these three and the answer will come down to personal preference. Recoil is limited with all three and trajectory isn't much different out to 300.

Ammo availability is big advantage to 308 but there are some good options for the 260 as well. The 7 mm and the 260 will just not have the options but I tend to like those two better than the 308. Again just personal preference.

I find this discussion interesting from the standpoint that all three are highly capable out to the 300 yard mark the OP stated. If one is really set on using energy to evaluate the effectiveness of a round then you should pick the larger bullet. The reality of this situation is that there is not much difference between these three and the answer will come down to personal preference. Recoil is limited with all three and trajectory isn't much different out to 300.

Ammo availability is big advantage to 308 but there are some good options for the 260 as well. The 7 mm and the 260 will just not have the options but I tend to like those two better than the 308. Again just personal preference.

I think you are right, but the op also wanted a gun to do everything from small to large that is the only reason I added the 25. Because you are correct all are good for 300 yards but they all seem to lack a real varmint round as the 25 does not.

Hello to all, I have been lurking awhile and figured its about time I make a post. Looking at getting back into rifle hunting since my son is still a ways away from being able to use a bow for hunting. I'm stuck between which caliber to select.

7-08

At the present time I don't reload, hope to soon.
The rifle I've kinda been set on it a tikka varmint.
Plan to use as an all around rifle, varmints to elk.
Use to picking my shots on game.

Any advise is appreciated.

CB- where are you ? i do not believe those are calibers are available in the tikka varmint here in US. . i may be wrong. however, i would get a 30-06 remington 700 long range and use remington 55grain ammo for varmints. i would get none, of those . i have harvested or guided hunters to 37 elk. ron

I say .260. I use mine for everything from prairie dogs to elk. It is a joy to shoot and when you start reloading it will be a great cartridge to reload for. Your son can shoot it as well and you won't have to worry at all about recoil

CB- where are you ? i do not believe those are calibers are available in the tikka varmint here in US. . i may be wrong. however, i would get a 30-06 remington 700 long range and use remington 55grain ammo for varmints. i would get none, of those . i have harvested or guided hunters to 37 elk. ron

I'm in Idaho. I haven't really had a chance at looking at rifles other then online at this point (crammed with school) so availability is in question. Reason for the tikka is rep for being accurate, and with only a 23-24" barrel leaning toward the short action calibers.

I do have a handed down 30-06 in retirement for use if need be.

Thanks for all the input.

With a 30-06 held in reserve for elk, I would go with the 260 Rem. Great ballistics and good factory ammo.
I agree... He left out the .30-06 part, so I assumed he actually needed the 7mm or larger caliber.

I wouldn't retire the old .30-06... What kind of rifle is it, and we might can help you revive it, so you'll enjoy shooting it again.

With this new information brought to us, I would definitely change my vote to .260 Rem. You can get Lapua brass and ammo for it. Lapua is the best brass on the market. So if you buy their factory ammo and save up your used brass, and you'll be set when you start handloading.

Not sure of the make/model of my 06 other then old. My grandfathers hand made the stock some years ago. Now its more of a remembrance peace. I have been thinking of taking it to a smith in order to know the make and possibly build a new rifle out of it, but then its history would be lost. So I'm more inclined to starting from scratch.

You know, my local Wally World sells a remington model 700 in 30-06 or 7rem mag and probably other caliber a for $377. ...inexpensive starting point.

You know, my local Wally World sells a remington model 700 in 30-06 or 7rem mag and probably other caliber a for $377. ...inexpensive starting point.
Yep, Wally world special. They also have them for that price at Academy and Dick's. That's what I do. I go buy a cheap used pawnshop ADL or BDL that's beat up for $250-350, and rip it apart and use the action, and possibly the trigger, if it's an older rifle with the older Walker triggers in them. Other than that, the barrel and the stock goes into a big bin full of spare junk, and I transform that ugly old crusty pawnshop rifle into a fucntional, tack-driving, work of art (IMO, at least...But that's all that matters, right? :D ).

Seeing as the tikka may be unattainable, any thoughts on Remington's VLS? Shows 308 with a
1-12 twist? Would that be able to stabilize 180's??

Again thanks for all the input.

Seeing as the tikka may be unattainable, any thoughts on Remington's VLS? Shows 308 with a
1-12 twist? Would that be able to stabilize 180's??

Again thanks for all the input.

the 1-12 will stabilize 180s. you will pay more for a vls, than a remington 700 long range. the 1-10 in a 30-06 will stabilize everything. easy to load a 30-06 to 308 velocity. lapua brass is available for both cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts