New ELR build help

6mm06guy

Good morning gents, I'm looking to put down my 6mm and 270s and build something big, I have a few bigger rifles, a 300 win mag and a 8mm Remington magnum with a custom barrel. But I'm wanting to shoot further than the 1200 yard range I have now.

So this started with just wanting something truly BIG, 408 cheytac, ir 50 bmg, but after looking at the cost of not only components, but the upgrades in reloading equipment I have decided against these 2 options.

My goal is 1 mile +, consistently. I have considered the 300 norma improved and the 338 lapua or a 33 xc, but I'm open to lots of suggestions.

Any tips on your favorite actions and optics will be appreciated also, I'm a big fan of the defiance actions and vortex optics ,but I may get another night force fir this build. Also not shooting this far before how many moa cant do I need for the optics. Thanks in advance guys.

I'm not "consistent" at a mile as I practice a few hundred yards beyond what I will allow myself to shoot at game. I occasionally shoot at super long ranges because it's fun but the wind is the deciding factor on my consistency. A 300 Norma improved with heavy bullets would be good. I have always wanted a 338 edge or an edge +P but skipped that step and ordered a 50bmg. I doubt an average 50 will be more consistent than a big 30 or 338 at a mile. You will need quality loading components and that is hard to find at the moment.

I would not use a Vortex for ELR; it's been my experience they tend to lose zero and have some tacking issues, if used hard. NF would be a great bet. I have had good luck with Sightron SIII 6-24 models as they have 100 moa of adjustment. I would get something with 100 moa of travel and put a 20 moa base on the rifle. Defiance or any other quality action is great. If it were me, I'd get a longer barrel for extra MV to get me to a mile.

A big 30 Cal does really well at a mile (300 Norma). Much passed that I'd recommend a 33XC. If you are going to consider doing some of the ELR competitions (out to 2+ miles) I'd just jump into a 375 Cheytac, It's the easy place to start for the boomers. Lots of people starting to trend to 416 and such and Robert Vestal has come out with some huge cases to push 416, 458 and 50 Cal bullets fast.

If you are wanting to shoot something like the Nighforce Steel Challenge a big 30 is the answer

I'd vote big 30 but you're really getting into an area where a big 338 would shine IMO.

Lots of great options on components but I'd lean on defiance, Bart or similar and manners mcm or ag.

I'd also vote 338 lapua or norma mag for the lapua brass and may as well make it an AI version. The 33xc isn't a bad choice either.

You may want to call Robert at APR, he competes and builds some great ELR rigs.

I'd vote big 30 but you're really getting into an area where a big 338 would shine IMO.

Lots of great options on components but I'd lean on defiance, Bart or similar and manners mcm or ag.

I'd also vote 338 lapua or norma mag for the lapua brass and may as well make it an AI version. The 33xc isn't a bad choice either.

You may want to call Robert at APR, he competes and builds some great ELR rigs.

The biggest problem I have with the 338s is the big price jump, the 245 gr bergers look nice and are cheaper.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the 300 nm?

Yeah i just started a 338 build and didn't realize the price bump from 30s.

In reality, my volume of shooting wouldn't kill me either way regarding price difference of the bullet.

The 230 and 245 should will do you great to a mile.

Best of luck with the build.

When you say "1 mile+" do you mean mostly shooting around a mile with the occasional longer shot or routinely shooting in the 2500+ yard range? The answer to that will help with advice. A big 30 like PRC is a great choice if you're mostly hanging out around a mile and can stretch well past that, but it's not the best option if you'll be doing a lot of shooting at 2500+. If you'll be on the longer end look at the gear that wins KO2M and start there. There's a big difference in one time and recurring costs between a 30 and something bigger.

Vortex has had some issues with the Razor gen 3. As much as I love their optics I'd proceed with caution if you're looking down that road. The gen 2 is solid but gives up some magnification. Cant will depend largely on the external ballistics of the cartridge you choose and the range you're shooting at.

Action will also largely depend on cartridge choice. If you go past standard long action catridges with magnum heads your options start to dwindle.

I am going to a 375 from a 338. I really like 338s and have several and will build another, but I wanted a little more. I'm just now building a 30 cal, not intended for a mile but there are many out there that will do the job. Having said that, if you go with a super charged 30 like a Norma or Lapua, why not use the 338 flavor?

I believe a mile will be the furthest I can shoot around here, so yes, I'm not overly impressed with the brass options on the prc right now, I believe the 300 NM will be fine.

I am going to a 375 from a 338. I really like 338s and have several and will build another, but I wanted a little more. I'm just now building a 30 cal, not intended for a mile but there are many out there that will do the job. Having said that, if you go with a super charged 30 like a Norma or Lapua, why not use the 338 flavor?
I'm not apposed to the 338, other than the amount of time I'd like to put behind this rifle, the 300 bergers have went way way up. And as much as I like my 8mm mag, the hammers are too expensive to shoot in the volume I'd like to shoot. Now that being said, what bullets are you shooting out of your 338s? I have heard tale of guys killing stuff with sierra matchkings in 338, but I have never been much for using target bullets on game.