New barrel idea's

Jfseaman.... get a life! That is a disparaging remark!

I was directly talking to you when I said your kind of post are dragging down LRH. It seems you even started your post by saying you want to argue..... what an ***, again dsparaging!

Wow, admitting to personal attacks in the process of doing them.

I'm not sure you belong here if you are going to say those sorts of things to other members.

This discussion took a downward turn because of the lack of comprehension of a statement. The statement was "Dan Lilja says it best". Then someone read it as "Dan Lilja says his are the best".

If I was building a rifle and could get Pac Nor or Lilja 3 groove barrels for free, I wouldn't use one.

If everybody liked the same thing I like, they would want all the girls to look like Raquel Welch and they would drive a white Ford pickup.

Find a good smith that doesn't necessarily have a certain agenda. Get a barrel from a maker that can get you one in good time and of the correct twist, order it in a heavy sporter or one contour heavier and flute it and maybe a good break. As long as your smith will do the chambering for you, and your looking for a long range rig, I would look at getting a 30 Nosler throated for a 212 grain ELDx or 215 Berger Hybrid. Your Ultra Mag action should work well for COAL. Brass expense is about the only real concern but by the time you ready for the re-barrel more companies may be making brass. Or have another RUM built cause after 10 years you ready to play again (this is assuming you don't shoot over 100 rounds a year).

Sure does. A balance of a lot of good things. Not stupid long like a RUM and not major overbore, no belt (although they really aren't as big of a problem as some make them to be). A pretty efficient case from what I've been hearing, only slightly less performance than a rum with less powder, blast, and recoil. Slightly more snort for those 200+ grain pills than a 300 win with no belt. Really similar performance wise to a Weatherby yet shorter and no dual radius shoulder.

I had a 3 groove Lilja on a 300 RUM and another on a 6.5 Sherman. Both shot very well and and lasted well too. Because of that, I put another one on my 6.5 Sherman and it was a piece of junk! Went south after 200 rounds and the bore was too tight to begin with. I have heard some other issues of late from other users. In short; I guess the jury is out? I won't be buying another one soon though......Rich

I had a 3 groove Lilja on a 300 RUM and another on a 6.5 Sherman. Both shot very well and and lasted well too. Because of that, I put another one on my 6.5 Sherman and it was a piece of junk! Went south after 200 rounds and the bore was too tight to begin with. I have heard some other issues of late from other users. In short; I guess the jury is out? I won't be buying another one soon though......Rich

Did you let Dan or Carson know?

Let me clear something up. I have had some good Lilja barrels and I don't want to discourage anyone else. The fact that I won't be buying any soon should not affect anyone elses' plans. I tend to say what I feel, but I need to respect others at the same time.......Rich

I recently bought a new barrel and went with a Bartlein. I was in the same boat and did not know what brand to go with. I looked at Hart, Broughton, Krieger, Lilja, Bartlein, McGowan, Douglas, X-Caliber, Pac-Nor you name it I looked them over. I heard 99% good about all of them. What really was the deciding factor was what barrel I could get that was instock and was the exact length, contour, caliber, and twist I wanted. It happened to be a Bartlein because everyone else was either out of stock, had at least an 8 week lead time, or did not offer or carry exactly what I wanted. Bartlein is also currently one of the top barrel makers in the country so I got a great barrel shipped to my house in less than a week.

If you are not worried about the wait, then draw a name from a hat haha. Honestly you can't go wrong with any of the top names. Take a look at the Benchrest, F-class, and PRS equipment lists and look what the pros are using. You will find different barrels in all disciplines but a few pop up in all of them.

PM coming

Always a pleasure chatting with Rich. Cheers!

Let me clear something up. I have had some good Lilja barrels and I don't want to discourage anyone else. The fact that I won't be buying any soon should not affect anyone elses' plans. I tend to say what I feel, but I need to respect others at the same time.......Rich

Amen to that!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.