New AR15 sub-forum because 73% of LRH Poll respondents own or plan to own an AR15

Re: New AR15 sub-forum because 73% of LRH Poll respondents own or plan to own an AR1

thanks and I am in the starting stages of a 7.62 X 40 build have all the needed parts and will get started this weekend have headspace the bolt and barrel so it is a stright build from here I am going with a sun devil forged lower/upper matched set for this one. but good luck with the forum

Re: New AR15 sub-forum because 73% of LRH Poll respondents own or plan to own an AR1

A shooting range owner outside of Hot Springs, Arkansas, rents full auto AR-15 rifles and he never cleans them. He squirts some oil in the bolt/piston area to keep the fouling softened up and the gun runs fine. The one I rented never had stoppages of any kind. A squirt of oil every 200 rounds or so, and you are good to go.

I read of an FAL in Texas called "ole dirty" that had shot 14,000 rounds without cleaning and it was still working fine. The hard chrome lined barrel like the one I have seems to shoot itself clean. Copper fouling is almost nonexistent to the extent it really egrades accuracy. Have shot 200 rounds without cleaning and it shot about as well at the last as it did at the first.

I hope the AR-15 forum also attracts AR-10 owners, as I am more into the AR-10 as it is most like my FAL. Might trade a rifle for an AR-10 someday. I have owned 3 different AR-15 rifles in .223 and 7.62x39, but sold them and settled on the FAL as it is .308 cal and that's what I want for stopping power against dangerous game......and the unfailing reliability of the FAL.

My FAL is sub-MOA with handloads, so those who say it isn't accurate base their findings on surplus ammo or old battle worn surplus rifles. The black rifle has a negative image with a lot of folks. Some of it deserved, some not. In a SHTF situation, I want the FAL in my hands.

Last edited:

Glad to see the new forum. I wish I had known years ago how accurate some of these AR's can be. I have a AR 10 in a DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor and I get 1/2 minute from it. Only thing I have done is put a match trigger on it. I will say it likes the 140gr A-Max's better than the 120gr.
It was a major step for me to buy one after many years of muzzle loaders and traditional guns and being as old as I am. But I will have to say I am one happy old dude for having bought mine:)
The AR's are not like the traditional semi auto's that are not known for great accuracy. These are very accurate and can hold their own or better most factory bolt guns. They are offered in many great calibers and I think once more people learn how accurate they can be and get past any bias they will want to own one.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.