NEVER should've done it

I really thought about trying TSS shot until I saw the price. We typically call our birds into decoys and shoot at 15-40yds, usually under 30yds. Went and checked my inventory of copper plated lead Turkey loads and looks like I have enough for about 30yrs for my son and I. Couple birds a year, one shot each, never missed and never had one hardly even flop. I think the cost of them averaged between 70cents and $1.20 per round depending on when I bought them. Lol Probably wont switch for a while. I guess the "If it aint broke, don't fix it" statement applies.

You left out depleted uranium. Its only 19gm/cc. That's why the stuff is so amazing. I only shoot in 28ga and .410. I shoot 15gm in the bigger guns. What most people don't know is the patterns in heavy tungsten don't deteriorate over distance anything like lead. Super tight chokes are not needed. let the pattern open up some. It won't open up much more over distance. Scopes are not needed or even desired (IMO) You kill more birds up close than far. Spend some time at the pattern board all the way to 100yds. Compare. You will see what I mean. I have shot several 100's of pounds of Tungsten, maybe even a ton. As an example I have a handload in a 3-1/2" 12ga hull with 1-7/8oz of 12gm #2's. It will pattern nearly 66% in a 30" circle @100yds, with an IM CHOKE!! Will kill a goose a long ways. Further than you would believe if you were standing there watching. The heavier stuff is even more amazing.
Yep, tight patterns for sure. I never run tighter than IC when shooting tungsten.

I most sincerely appreciate your concern about the very significant recoil of a 12ga 3.5" 2.5oz turkey load.
But to me personally recoil is not an issue and with my boys both now in collage, each needing cars, paying for insurance, gas maintenance and tires new laptops, suits for internship interviews etc etc ect I just can not justify buying new 28ga turkey guns for my sons and I as we all turkey hunted this year to gether and I was the only one who didn't get one.
$220 for TSS shells is quite a bit easier to afford than $1k-$1500 for two new 28ga shotguns we only ever will use for turkey hunting when we have dedicated turkey shotguns that work superbly well.
BUT
If enough companies start making more affordable 28ga pump shotguns designed specifically for turkey hunting and have drilled and tapped receivers then yes I will give them a serious look as my 870 ESM weighs essentially 10lbs with scope, sling and three 3.5" 2oz shells, but the darn thing absolutely utterly hammers turkeys at all ethical ranges. My Benelli SN weighs only 20oz less. And when your hauling butt Especially if its sunny and >70-80*+ out and trying to to get out in front of a Tom or three walking away from you a 7.5lb shotgun is much preferred VS a 10lb one.
Tens of thousands of turkeys have been killed with lead long before the "super shots" became available.

Guys posting about killing turkeys at 60-70+ yards have me scratching my head. I know this is a "long range" forum, but turkey hunting (for me) is about getting the birds close, not how far I can kill them.

This is a fantastic thread…! I had heard a bit about TSS in the UK from a friend who hand loads for shotgun (doesn't seem overly popular here in the UK, at least in the circles of people I know…). He was saying pretty much what has been echoed here. .410 and bringing geese down at 50yds plus.

There's moves afoot in the UK to utilise non-toxic shot for game shooting (already a legal requirement for shooting over water in Scotland and shooting waterfowl in England and Wales..), a lot of folk see this as a 'nail in the coffin' of driven game (pheasant and partridge) shooting on the higher bird shoots. Steel just doesn't seem to stack up from availability to ability to kill at extended ranges. Obviously there are those who will argue for both camps, but whatever way you cut it, TSS would definitely work for those 60-70 yard pheasants..

I'm guessing it's not only denser than lead, but also harder? So it doesn't distort as much and therefore patterns better?

Somebody mentioned about lower velocities, does this give a noticeable difference in the lead-picture?

Tens of thousands of turkeys have been killed with lead long before the "super shots" became available.
Yep. You can certainly go back to using a spear too. That statement is as weak as the antis saying the 2nd Amendment only covers muskets. The shooting sports are driven by technology. The advantages of TSS over other non-toxic shot is overwhelming. For killing wild roosters on WMAs and GPAs, its definitely worth the cost for me.

Yep. You can certainly go back to using a spear too. That statement is as weak as the antis saying the 2nd Amendment only covers muskets. The shooting sports are driven by technology. The advantages of TSS over other non-toxic shot is overwhelming. For killing wild roosters on WMAs and GPAs, its definitely worth the cost for me.
Funny stuff. I shoot Federal Heavyweight in my 20 but would have no problem shooting lead.

BTW, I've killed a bunch of turkeys with a bow, they aren't that hard to kill. Hard to get close enough to kill? Many times, yes.

TSS in general is incredible for turkey. I bought some Herters to try this year because they're $30-40 less per box of 5, and they printed some impressive patterns at 70yd. It's too expensive for me to use for waterfowl, but turkeys a low round count game.

I'm putting together a 28ga AOW that should be a pretty great turkey gun with TSS.

Guys posting about killing turkeys at 60-70+ yards have me scratching my head. I know this is a "long range" forum, but turkey hunting (for me) is about getting the birds close, not how far I can kill them.
I definitely agree it's more fun to get them in close, but on the property I hunt they like to hang out in ag fields where you're lucky to get inside of 100yd. I'd rather kill them at 70 than eat tag soup because I wanted to call them into 30.

I'm guessing it's not only denser than lead, but also harder? So it doesn't distort as much and therefore patterns better?

Somebody mentioned about lower velocities, does this give a noticeable difference in the lead-picture?
Yes, it's 63% more dense than lead and is non-toxic at the same time. It patterns incredibly tight. With respect to velocities, you CAN, but don't need to drive it as fast as steel due to its massive downrange speed and energy advantage.

For turkeys I can see buying TSS due to low round count. The Federal Black Cloud TSS can be found on sale for around $3.50/shell so even pheasant hunters can likely justify that cost. This isn't bragging on my shooting, because I'm a only slightly above average wingshooter, but I absolutely smashed every rooster I shot last season with TSS. No cripples, no runners, no lost birds and no lost hunting time looking for them. I'm eagerly looking forward to handloading TSS shells for the Tristar Viper G2 28 gauge that I picked up last year for dove hunting. Compact and lightweight and a pleasure to carry. It ought to be a pheasant slayer with TSS loads. Handloading TSS definitely brings the cost per round way down compared to factory loads too.

Last edited:
I made the switch to TSS for my 20 gauge for turkey hunting this year. I was using Winchester LB before and it patterned good at 40 but the TSS patterned better at 50 yards. The Winchester will probably work for 90% of my shots but why wouldn't I want to shoot the best patterning load ?
Sort of like taking a 2 MOA rifle deer hunting, it'll probably work but I can do better.

This year I started loading for my 10 gauge remington sp10 for turkey. Use to load lead but was never as happy as I wanted to be with it so I ordered some and it's impressive. I'm loading 2.75 oz of #9. Below is pictures of my target first is at 30 yards just looks like a big hole but remember there is over 900 pellets in that shell. Second is a target at 100 yards and I would never shoot a turkey that far ever but seen guys on YouTube shoot there's at 100 for fun and I had to see for myself and I was amazed how many holes and how even pattern was. Last two pictures is front and back of 100 yard target on the poster board.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240329_194907_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240329_194907_Snapchat.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240327_105043.jpg
    20240327_105043.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240327_105055.jpg
    20240327_105055.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 30
Well found a online deal from a well established reputable online seller to good to pass up on a pistol grip Tristar Viper G2 pistol grip 20ga turkey gun. Calling first thing tomorrow to confirm its the PG model as it lists it as a PG model but has no picture. If yes will buy it. Once that is done buying one box of Apex 20ga #8 shot and one Foxtrot #8 shot and a Carlsons 0.568" WLBXR benelli mobile choke tube as my research showed that choke worked superbly well with #8 shot out of the 20ga Viper G2 turkey gun.
Plan on topping it with a Bushnell 30mm tube 1-4x24mm Elite 4500 scope.