Need some advice for a Ruger Blackhawk

Firearrow

I want to take my Ruger in to a gun smith and have it work over a bit. I have it toped with a scope, and use it for hunting hogs (44 mag). I know I want the trigger lighten, and was woundering what else I should look into. Also does anyone have some suggestions for a gunsmith. The gun smith out here wount touch revolvers. I live in Sacramento. Thanks.

Wolff makes a spring kit for the Rugers that improves them a lot. I had my Super Blackhawk done by a local guy (out of business now). He installed the springs, stoned the trigger surfaces, installed aftermarket sights, etc. Slicked the action up nicely...

Good luck with your project.

Brian

Your budget is going to be the deciding factor on what you should get done to it.
Midway has spring kits, very easy to install.

Firearrow:

I had that done almost 20 years ago, so the price I paid then would make you cry:)

Both Midway and Brownells have the spring kits, and any good wheelgun smith can slick things up for you. With care, you can do it yourself, but you have to be careful not to change any angles, and remember it's easier to remove metal than to replace it. All you're really after is a polishing of the critical surfaces.

Have fun,

Brian

I am game for the trigger job, but when it comes to removing the metal leave it to experts. I am looking forward to having the work done so that I can put some hurten on some hogs latter in the year. Thanks for your guys help. If you guys can post some pictures of your rigs. Would love to see some worked over revolvers.

Ok my cousin was woundering if anything could be done to his redhawk, as far as trigger job, ect, ect. He wants to ""work it over a bit" for hunting?

They make bullseye trigger spring kits for the Red Hawk also. I put the medium main spring in mine and did some polishing (only) with a very used piece of crocus cloth on the engagement surfaces of the trigger and hammer and it really made a difference.

Well after tuning up my ruger super blackhawk myself. I came to the conclusion that making a ruger smooth Isn't all that hard. Now dont get me wrong Im not talking about a full blown tune up. Just polish of some parts and a spring kit. (easy to install) There was a webpage where a man writes about the poormans tune up for rugers. I think mine is almost as smooth as an old three screw.
WADE

We always just took the grips off (of our Blackhawk,and Vequero's)and removed 1 of the 2 ''leafspring'' style springs from its peg at the top(leave attached at the bottom). put the grips back on and we were in business. We would also alternate wich spring was on its peg with every cleaning so as not to weaken one more than the other. It cuts down the trigger pull wt. considerably. I never knew a ''kit'' existed untill I read this post.
Hmmm.
Well I guess you learn something new everyday. Cool.:)

I would also recommend having your frame checked to confirm whether the cylinder pin hole in the front is concentric with the one in the back, mine weren't and required being machined out to a larger size and a custom cylinder pin fit to it so that the cylinder lined up perpendicular to the bore.

I can second that the one leg of the spring removed works - I suppose there may be other issues with long term use, I don't know. I also had a Wolf spring in mine at one time, but after a smith did a trigger job you could breathe on it and it would fire. It was too light, so I went back to the standard spring.

Either will lighten the pull considerably.

For the DA Ruger do a search for Iowegan trigger job....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.