Need imput on extending the range of an Idaho traditional muzzleloader.

Ramblin76

Here in Idaho our "muzzleloader only" hunts have some restrictions such as:

LEGAL IN MUZZLELOADER-ONLY SEASONS

A muzzle loading rifle or musket which:
  1. Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
  2. Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
  3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
  4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
  5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
  6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
  7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
  8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
  9. Is free of any electronic devices.
  10. Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
  11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.
With that said, what are some suggestions on some long rang "traditional muzzleloaders" or on extending the range of a more "traditional muzzleloader"? I have an Austin Halleck 420 that Ive been happy with and have taken Elk and Antelope at ranges of 90yds and 160yds. Both with open sights shooting 140gr of triple 7 and 295gr. maxiballs. thanks

With open or peep sights I think my comfortable range would be 200-225. Is that reasonable? Or am I just cracking the surface? I would love to acurately shoot to 300-350 or even more. While hunting, conditions, (more experience, consistant ballistics, etc) would have to be ideal for me to consider any of those ranges for taking game.

I have killed elk at 186 and 208yds here in Idaho with a muzzleloader. The biggest limitation for long range is sights. Conventional sights are pretty limited for anything past about 150yds. With the other restrictions like powder and bullets it will make shooting past about 250yds rather difficult without plenty of practice.

Frontiergander is shooting 175 yards with his .58 Hawken and primitive sights so using peeps it will be totally possible to shoot 225 yards.

Next you need to look at the calibre which will be best suited to long range shooting . We've seen .452 SST's go the distance in .50 cal guns but I would opt for a .45 cal gun shooting a 480 to 535gr lead bullet.

Only reason I picked the .45 is because the bullets have very high BC numbers and very good sectional density as well.

You have a rifle you intend to use for long range , if what calbre and twist rate ?

I am shooting a Austin Halleck 420 .50 cal, I knew someone would ask the barrel twist and I cant remeber it off the top of my head. Althouh i like what you say about the .45, maybe give me an excuse to start shopping. I've had good groups from 100-150 w/ MaxiBalls 295 gr. w/ 140gr. of Triple7. I plan on trying some of the belted lead bullets to see how they fair at distance.

I use 120gr 2F and 370gr MaxiBalls in my .50 with a 1:24 twist but they are only good for about 160 yards , the 600gr bullets works better at range but the recoil is something to behold.

Being from Idaho and drawing a coveted unit 45buck tag three years ago I came up with this solution. You have t do EXACTLY this. Austin & Halleck 50 cal. RWS cap, 10 grains of ffff and 90 grains of Blackhorn 205. Conical power belt bullet. This will put you to 350 yds easily. I had a custom set of sites similar to the Sharps with the rear sits adjustable for the bullet drop. It is set to 600 yds. Good to 350ish yds and goes to sh!t after that, The drop is to hard to adjust to past 350. I can kill a minute of large pizza pan at 350 yds.

First off congrats on drawing unit 45! How did you do? Second, I believe your talking about a tang sight? Did you adapt them off a Sharps or (Sharps style rifle), or were they special made for your Austin Halleck? Williams or Lyman or something else? Third, are you using number 11's or musket caps? And last, I'm not sure about mixing powders.
I like the idea of a tang sight though, seems that may be worth checkin into. Oh yea, what grain bullet?

All of my long range stuff was done with a .50cal Remington 700ML using 348gr Powerbelts and 120grs of 777. A .45cal would be better if your hunting deer but I was stuck using a .50 for elk. Since they got rid of the over the counter cow elk hunt around Lowman I have barely shot my muzzleloader. I use to shoot it all the time and much more often than my centerfire rifles. I use a insert style front sight with a crosshair type insert. It actually has a crosshair with a circle around the middle. It gave me a couple different aiming points with the front sight while still being able to see the target. I think it worked out to be 125yds for the middle of the crosshairs and 200yds for the second aiming point.

I have 3 Remington 700ML's, a Austin and Halleck, a Gonic, a TC, and a Knight. The Remington's have been the most accurate. I have a Kreiger barrel for one of the Remington's too.

Being from Idaho and drawing a coveted unit 45buck tag three years ago I came up with this solution. You have t do EXACTLY this. Austin & Halleck 50 cal. RWS cap, 10 grains of ffff and 90 grains of Blackhorn 205. Conical power belt bullet. This will put you to 350 yds easily. I had a custom set of sites similar to the Sharps with the rear sits adjustable for the bullet drop. It is set to 600 yds. Good to 350ish yds and goes to sh!t after that, The drop is to hard to adjust to past 350. I can kill a minute of large pizza pan at 350 yds.
Do not mix the powders! Use the ffff 1st as a base primer to help ignite the Blackhorn 209. The tang site was made by my sons employees. He has a Marine facility with cad and laser machine mills. It is a pain in the butt. Several tries and now is only good to 350

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.