Need advice on bow hunting

Aussie_hunter

G'day iv never done bow hunting never even really held a bow let alone fired one ( I don't no if you fire or shoot a bow ) basically I'd like some advice on starting up. I'm 5'10 in height I'm 70KG's or 154 pounds iv read that your weight does have something to do with the type of bow you should get. Iv been rifle hunting for almost 19 years so I thought I might give bow hunting ago

Your draw lenght can be figured by your height, but i'd just let the bow shop measure your draw for a precise fit. And as far weight vs type of bow, i've never really heard of that expect that a 6+ft tall guy may not like a real short axle bow, it would feel like shooting a sling shot.

I would recommend going to a local proshop and let them get you set up with the right gear and set to your needs, even if you want test shoot a bow to see if you would like it, a decent shop will do that for you.

I would recommend going to a local proshop and let them get you set up with the right gear and set to your needs, even if you want test shoot a bow to see if you would like it, a decent shop will do that for you.[/QUOTE]

+1,Very good advice.

If you have a reputable Bow shop go and talk to them armed with some of your basic needs.

To start I would recomend a bow with adjustable draw weights of 50lbs to 70lbs.

They should measure your draw length and fit your bow to you(Much like the importance
of length of pull on a rifle).

Drawing a bow uses muscles that you dont normally use that much and it is important to
start low to avoid developing bad posture/habits.

It is more important to learn to shoot well and then increase the draw weight a little at a time
as you become better conditioned.(Don't let anyone talk you into more than about 50 lbs to
start with just to be macho, because it will slow your progress in learning to shoot well.

Find a bow that "YOU" like and can afford )Sometimes they will have used bows that will get
you started for a lot less and after you learn how or decide not to go any further you haven't
spent a large sum of money and if you do like it you can buy a top line bow with some
experance and use the first bow as a back up or a loner to a friend.

Size has nothing to do with draw weight. I am a large man (6'5'' @ 280 lbs) and when I started
I started with a 50 lb used bow. And after 3 to 4 years of shooting 500 to a 1000 arrows a week
I had worked up to 70 lbs with accuracy.

After many years of shooting (over 30) I had reached the limit of most bow makers weight
limit for there bows. (96 to 100 lbs) this required the heaviest arrows. The point I am trying to
make is accuracy is more important than draw weight so shoot a comfortable weight that you
can be at your best accuracy.

Bow hunting requires many hours of practice on a regular basis to maintain you form and skill
( a lot like golf).

If you start with the right equipment and instructions you will love it. Bow hunting is up close
and personal.

Have fun.

J E CUSTOM

Appreciate the advice the problem is I'm in Australia and there's no bass pro or cabelas here and there next to no places that I can find that sell bows and the places that do they can't give me any advice and the prices for there bows are around $1000 that's abit expensive for a beginner. Then when I looked on the bass pro website the same compound bow that is at my local hunting store for around $1000 is only $450 and that's a package.

Given your limited resources locally, you'll have to teach yourself how to set-up & tune your own gear. You may want reach out to local guys that are bow hunting for any help you can get. You still need to be measured for your draw lenght so your going to have deal with them till then. But you can buy every tool you need to work on your bow after that.
Even here in the USA, With as many pro shops as there is here they're still guys that buy everything online or go to a pro shop buy the bow and never step foot into a pro shop again, you'll have to do it because of your location.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.