Need advice - Backpack upgrade

I'm planning to upgrade my hunting pack and hopefully utilize a Black Friday sale to save a little money.
I've got buddies that swear by their Kifaru, Kuiu Pros, Mystery Ranch (which I have) and Exos.
I used an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe with various attachments for a few years before I graduated myself to a Mystery Ranch. Both of these are quite heavy systems and I'm looking to cut a lot of weight.
I'm not set on one yet, but have narrowed those under consideration.
I have never owned anything from Kuiu that wasn't bombproof, so their pack is quite high on my list.
A newer player in the game is Initial Ascent. I really like what they're about and the pack system they offer. They supposedly carry better as the weight gets heavier.
The other I'm considering is the Exo K3, just because tons of guys love this one. Joseph Von Benedikt gave their pack a glowing review and endorsement after paying for one himself for a recent hunt he did.
Anyone have experience with all three packs or one at the very least, feel free to sound off and sway me towards one of these three.
My adult son and I have the EXO K2 series just finished year three hunting western states. We are very satisfied, my son has been an avid backpacker for the past 20 years and loves the packs. A couple of guys we hunt with have other brands one was SG I don't recall the other but both were very noisy, the material sounded like a potato chip bag. Some of the areas we hunt are close range due to vegetation so noise is a consideration for both archery and gun hunting. Best of luck with your choice.

My adult son and I have the EXO K2 series just finished year three hunting western states. We are very satisfied, my son has been an avid backpacker for the past 20 years and loves the packs. A couple of guys we hunt with have other brands one was SG I don't recall the other but both were very noisy, the material sounded like a potato chip bag. Some of the areas we hunt are close range due to vegetation so noise is a consideration for both archery and gun hunting. Best of luck with your choice.
Excellent information and exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you 🙏

I'm planning to upgrade my hunting pack and hopefully utilize a Black Friday sale to save a little money.
I've got buddies that swear by their Kifaru, Kuiu Pros, Mystery Ranch (which I have) and Exos.
I used an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe with various attachments for a few years before I graduated myself to a Mystery Ranch. Both of these are quite heavy systems and I'm looking to cut a lot of weight.
I have never owned anything from Kuiu that wasn't bombproof, so their pack is quite high on my list.
A newer player in the game is Initial Ascent. I really like what they're about and the pack system they offer. They supposedly carry better as the weight gets heavier.
The other I'm considering is the Exo K3, just because tons of guys love this one. Joseph Von Benedikt gave their pack a glowing review and endorsement after paying for one himself for a recent hunt he did.
Anyone have experience with all three packs or one at the very least, feel free to sound off and sway me towards one of these three.
Only one that's worth getting is Kifaru and it's material and manufacturing is in the US! Very modular and you can change the configuration easily! Also great people to deal with! I have 2 the 44 mag and the ma deuce. Just my $0.02

I'm a day hunt guy. I have thoughts about extended, multi day trips but haven't done it. That being said I started out with a good ole Camelback Motherload. Packed a bull out with it and it was murder. Picked up a Badlands Ultra Day pack, it was great as far as a warm weather day pack, but pack outs... forget about it. We used the old pack frames. I finally dropped the coin and picked up a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200. Loved the pack, problem I had with it was it was too comfortable and I find myself packing way more **** then I need for a day hunt. I still have the bag but upgraded this year to the Kuiu Pro 6000. Ran it this year, had all my winter gear loaded and carried out a bone in front quarter and neck meat for a buddy. I was very happy with it. I also picked up a Kifaru 22 Mag. I did 1 oneway scouting trip, traded packs (Kuiu 6000 and this) with a buddy to try both. I will say as far a modularity the Kifaru is awesome. They take a little work to get set up for you, only an issue if you are letting other guys carry - but not your problem LOL. I found the width (top to bottom) of the belt on the Kifaru a bit of an issue due to the pressure the bottom applied to my hip flexer.

Buddy just picked up a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 and loved it. He packed out most of a 5x5 bull. He made it in 3 trips, an was very happy. First load had had a full day pack and a bag of meat, 2nd and 3rd trips he went in with an empty pack to haul only.

I have added the load hauler kit options for both the Kuiu and Kifaru packs and have ditched to old external pack frames with bungie cords for sure.

For my winter/hunting pack I SOLD my old, heavy (7 1/2 lb.) Dana Terraplane and bought a DEUTER Air Contact Lite in the "65+10" model. Plenty of room, very well made, hauls heavy loads and often on sale. Check REI.

Deuter is a German company but, like the US company Osprey, it is made in Viet Nam, thankfully NOT China.

Deuter also makes a larger version but by using aftermarket side pockets my pack easily carries all my winter camping stuff and then some. I keep my stove, fuel and potty kit in one pocket, 1st aid, water treatment and toilet kit in the other with room left over. These are items I may want to get at quickly without digging through the main pack.

Look at these….I cannot speak from experience, but they seem like a lot of pack to me for the money….I'll be buying one ASAP…as soon as I can decide Axis vs Bighorn.

For me, I'm looking for a meat hauling frame pack. Not sure what you need.

The Ibex on a Yukon looks sweet, if you want to go big.

I forgot. 100% USA made. Berry compliant.

I'm interested in the 3200 from them. I continue to hear their customer service is excellent from the masses 🙌
Out of curiosity, what body type do you have? Just trying to understand why the Kuiu caused pain in your hips and lumbar.
I think it's because I'm 61 and no longer have a butt. My wife says I scratched it all off! I really liked the pack; it just seemed that the lumbar pad was way too firm for me.

Look at these….I cannot speak from experience, but they seem like a lot of pack to me for the money….I'll be buying one ASAP…as soon as I can decide Axis vs Bighorn.

For me, I'm looking for a meat hauling frame pack. Not sure what you need.

The Ibex on a Yukon looks sweet, if you want to go big.

I forgot. 100% USA made. Berry compliant.
Exo, kifaru, stone glacier, kuiu, mystery ranch etc....almost all their packs are "frame packs. "
Check out the ones with a "load or meat" shelf...you can pull the bag away from frame, and wedge the load of meat close to your back and use all the enclosed straps to secure. And then tighten the bag to the meat too. Works well.

I'll throw one in for Outdorrsmans system. They are high on the list for me as I look for a new pack for elk hunting. The palisade 90 is what I'm looking at.

Have you tried any high end packs? Ever try an outdoorsmans?
Nope I own a couple smaller mystery ranch packs that I love so they are on the list along with eberlestock (own two of those but not the hunting packs). The outdoorsmans was one I'm interested in but never been able to get my hands on one in person. Any experience with them?

I think you're looking at it the wrong way, personally.

The pack weight are indicative of the materials and size. I have many packs, but in the example of heaviest packs, I use the Mystery Ranch Marshall for most of my back country expedition type hunting, and it's 7 lbs. However, it's water resistance, bomb proof, great load carrying ability, comfortablish suspension and something like 6400 ci. Going lighter will shortcut some of these things and still, you shave off maybe 2 lbs…then what?

Your gear, or rather your base weight is still the same…minus the 1-2 lb or whatever the pack weight savings comes out to be. I don't know about you, but I can't feel 2 lbs about the 3rd mile in and the first 1000ft in elevation climb. All things being equal.

Last edited:
Went from Badlands to Eberlestock then Kuiu to now Exo. Love the Exo 3200. Mine is the K2 frame. Thought of going to K3 but haven't. Exo fits me the best that I have tried. Also went with Exo because close to Boise if need any help. Also I have balance issues and the Exo doesn't shift like others. But any high end pack needs to be fitted well to you to be comfortable. I've packed antelope, deer, and elk with no problems