Need a lightweight and tough sleeping bag and one man tent recommendation

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

Anyone got a rec on a lightweight sleeping bag rated for 20 degrees and a one man tent or bivy? Needs to be tough but ultra light weight. Got a comp coming up with a ton of rucking.

I normally just plop down and suck it up in the cold and weather with a blanket and poncho, but now I'm smarter (questionable) and don't want to do that. Experienced camper / outdoorsman but I'm way new to the gear aspect.

I got the kymit 0 deg refurbished on $80 ebay. I also got the klymit inflatable pad in $40 camo. It was about 18 degrees for 2 nights in October when I used it. I'm glad I went with the 0 degree. I read the synthetic insulation is heavier but warmer when wet. I also boiled water and poured it in a Gatorade bottle the next night (slip in bag) wasn't freezing cold but was chilly.

I got the 10ft footprint teepee "hot tent" (ebay search) 3 lbs I think from ebay $100 and seam sealed it. It worked good. One pole steup. I'm going to get the 13ft footprint 4 person one (4+lbs) though because my pack and myself was a tight fit.....

I was several miles in but slept ok considering I wasn't in the wall tent on the cot with 2 pads.

There a poor man's review....

Last edited:
I would spend more money on the bag and pad then the tent unless you are in heavy weather and/or weight is a consideration. I have a REI 2 man tent I use when I'm camping next to the truck and an expensive KUIU tent for hiking. Nothing wrong for either situation but for warmth spend the money on a bag and pad. My NEMO bag is rated at 25 degrees and last time the temps were in the 20's I had long Johns and a hoodie o. With it

And most 2 man tents are "really" 1 man tens with a little extra leg room.

Outdoor Vitals has a bag that my brother bought a few years ago. It is very light and extremely warm. If you look at their site, they dunk one of their bags in the creek, fill it with water, pour it out, then sleep in it. Unbelievable. I bought the Klymit Static V insulated pad. It is rated at 4.5 which is pretty good. It is very comfortable.

In Korea, we used extreme cold weather sleeping bags. They are rated to -20F. I can attest to this since our first night at R233 was probably about -10F. Our second night was somewhere south of -27F and I woke up shivering. Since I was with the 2ID, we had a division training requirement that we had to spend 3 nights in the dead of winter without any heaters working in the tents. It's a training requirement that goes back to the Korean War.

Attachments

• 51ez9BeGLdL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg
    51ez9BeGLdL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 35
In Korea, we used extreme cold weather sleeping bags. They are rated to -20F. I can attest to this since our first night at R233 was probably about -10F. Our second night was somewhere south of -27F and I woke up shivering. Since I was with the 2ID, we had a division training requirement that we had to spend 3 nights in the dead of winter without any heaters working in the tents. It's a training requirement that goes back to the Korean War.
How heavy are those badboys? Did you have frost in the tent from your breath? That happened to me this year. Had to dry my tent out inside out in the afternoon to pack it up.

How heavy are those badboys? Did you have frost in the tent from your breath? That happened to me this year. Had to dry my tent out inside out in the afternoon to pack it up.
I want to say somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10 pounds. We were in a GP small at the time and everything was covered in frost. Once I got fully dressed, I headed to our TOC and we had a large outdoor thermometer that was iced over. It read -27F. It could have actually been lower, but it was hard to tell since it iced up.