Need a few questions answered

Trm82

Hey Guys , I'm looking into getting a fierce muzzleloader just because it will be the easiest one for me to get in Canada
So question is say I'm sitting in the blind and I preload the rifle so that I'm ready and nothing shows up so I do not discharge the firearm. So do you just pull the primer out and it stays loaded till you actually shoot it or is there a way to unload it ?
I have zero experience with muzzleloader and I'm just trying to get a handle on how these things work before I purchase one.

If it is an inline, pull the breech plug and push powder and projectile out from the back end or just shoot it. A charge can last a while in a barrel if kept dry, however black powder and substitutes or corrosive and can leave a rust ring/pitting if left in the barrel too long.
Okay perfect , I'd be using smokeless in this one and I see h4895 is a good one and I found a bunch of it for sale.
Now I just need to find out how to get Pittman bullets in Canada.

Any other suggestions on other bullets ?

Okay perfect , I'd be using smokeless in this one and I see h4895 is a good one and I found a bunch of it for sale.
Now I just need to find out how to get Pittman bullets in Canada.

Any other suggestions on other bullets ?
If your using smokeless, then don't worry about unloading until your done with hunting or even the season.…unless you get water down the barrel.

To each his own. We hunt cooler weather with some rain and snow mostly. We also hunt cold winter weather usually for 7-10 days. We never fired or took the powder/bullet out even with FFFg unless it was a soak everything day in the rain. Some will fire them to make sure if soaked, never once have we had a misfire. When we started using BH209 nothing has changed. If you did not kill anything....we have a shoot off just before we pack up to go home.

I'm not smokeless, but offer a little insight. In Illinois USA, we can remove the primer at the end of the day and the ML is considered legal to transport. I leave my T/C Encore loaded with Blackhorn 209 powder and bullet for 7 - 10 days without issue. I will either shoot a deer or paper to unload.

I've removed the breech plug, poured out powder, and pushed bullet out the muzzle. A couple issues are 1) powder gets caught in the threads and 2) bullet has to come out the muzzle. Threaded area too small to remove the bullet from breech. It's not very easy to push the bullet out muzzle. Takes a sturdy rod and force. Less to clean this way. Not worth it to me.

So, I shoot it (preferably into a deer) and clean it.

2cents ,Tape the end of your barrel,just like a rifle or pistol. Blk electrical tape works great ,shoot through it then replace ,some put multiple wraps around the barrel for spare tape , but not on the muzzle. No rain ,no snow ,no branch's or dirt can get in barrel . Great hunting Everyone, cheers 😉😆

2cents ,Tape the end of your barrel,just like a rifle or pistol. Blk electrical tape works great ,shoot through it then replace ,some put multiple wraps around the barrel for spare tape , but not on the muzzle. No rain ,no snow ,no branch's or dirt can get in barrel . Great hunting Everyone, cheers 😉😆
I use painters tape and also write on the tape with a marker "loaded" and the date loaded.

I've never used one,but I know they make a device that uses a CO2 cartridge to discharge the powder and projectile.

I just shoot it and clean it at the end of season.

If you don't do this already, I suggest using teflon tape on your breech plug rather than breech plug grease. Makes cleanup a lot easier if you have to pull breech plug and push out a load.

A small rubber Ballon works on the muzzle also. I load my black powder rifle and leave it loaded, only removing the cap. I also dont bring it into the house or a.warm area, if it is freezing outside, as condensation can build up on the inside.

For really cheap, you can get a whole bag of rubber glove "fingers" that work perfectly for sealing the muzzle while hunting. Doesn't affect the shot at all. They're like little mini condoms. Humm...wonder if they might fit for that! LOL