Neck Turning

Rhunter2

I neck turned my brass for a 7 Rem mag. Used the k&m tools to do it. However, I stopped turning just short of the shoulder. I would guess I am 1/32" short. After researching this a little more, I think I may have screwed up. Apparently I should have turned just into the neck? I am really trying to get long range accuracy out of these shells. I am thinking that maybe I should scrap the 50 cases I loaded (once fired brass with different batches of charge weights) and start over. I could always turn them again with the cutter set at the same thickness but I am concerned with a donut forming. Any input here would be appreciated.

You shouldn't have any trouble running the same cut, but going into the shoulder this time. It's that shoulder cut that prolongs possible donuts forming.

Donuts are shoulder moving into neck, as the result usually of poor chamber and die match. The more you trim, the donut gets closer.

Try turning just to the neck-shouder junction, no further. Cut too deep and the brass will split after a few more reloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts