My mission to find the best short barreled big 338!!!

Pretty much slave to the grind here in the LPR shop busting out customers rifles ..

I do have a few new toys in the works.

I will say this, as far as simplicity, ease of use and all around performance in shorter barreled rigs from now on my personal rifles will be either a 300 rum or 338 edge for staying in that 110 case cap range.. :cool:

Last edited:
Pretty much slave to the grind here in the LPR shop busting out customers rifles ..

I do have a few new toys in the works.

I will say this, as far as simplicity, ease of use and all around performance in shorter barreled rigs from now on my personal rifles will be either a 300 rum or 338 edge for staying in that 110 powder cap range.. :cool:
Tell me more about this Rum 110 grain of powder you Speak about ! 😎😎
You have my Attention!!!

Rum Man

Elk Hunter 338. first off, I like the short barreled rifles you have showcased here. Very interesting concept.

Earlier in this thread you said:

" I will absolutely not shoot a 285-300gr bullet at 2600fps when I can shoot a mid weight bullet with a decent BC at 3000+ fps!! impact numbers don't lie!!! I want them wrecked, not wounded!!!!

It makes no sense to me to run a slow heavy bullet in a setup like this ... THAT IN FACT WILL GAIN ME NOTHING BUT RECOIL!! .."

I understand your viewpoint but need to point out those 300 gr Berger OTMs do a great job of killing elk. Broz had reported on them in 2011 and had excellent results even down to 1975 fps impact velocity.

For me wind drift is the biggest issue when shooting longer distances. It is IMO the most difficult variable. I prefer the highest BC I can get with a bullet that performs when it meets the animal.

I am mentioning this because other 338 shooters might misconstrue your comments to include the Berger 300 gr OTM bullet. It may be that some 285- 300 gr bullets don't perform on elk, this is not one of them. I also realize you did say "in this package".

FYI I use those 300 gr Berger OTMs in a long barreled long thoated 338 RCM and a 26" barreled 338 RUM.

Thank you I really like them too, and they have there place and not for everyone.
I will also stand behind my statement 100%. I set my wanted parameters for my builds before even chambering the barrel. and they do exactly what i expected..

Also, guys can use and say whatever they want. I will most definitely use the 300 OTM in a rifle where i can ramp the speed up. These rifles are definitely not that platform. And just because one man Swears by them, doesn't mean they are the end all be all! I've actually hunted and killed with them and know what they do. Obviously they will work, I just want a OTM bullet ran harder..

Honestly a 16-20 pound 338 Edge or Lapua shooting a 300 gr bullet at 2800 is a ***** cat. My first true purpose built LR hunting rifle was a 16 pound edge running a 300 gr Sierra @2815fps.. I know what they are capable of and what they are not.

My whole idea in these builds is the felt recoil when suppressed when built in an actual packable rifle 8-9 pounds loaded, that will most definitely be used at short range and longer range shots if needed, 1000 yards being the absolute max range, end of story. Not if i can shoot a 300 gr bullet.. Of course I can, but i promise you from experience you will be under impressed.

Lets do a comparison of my load this last year 230 ELDX vs. a 300 gr tested in a similar rifle, different chambering at 2680 fps, a SOLID average for a 20-22" barreled 338 of any kind.

These are actual numbers keeping all parameters equal.. no gain for me or anyone to pad numbers. It only hurts the ones that truly want solid info on what I run year after year. This, running the bullet flight app inputting atmospheric conditions from kestrel that I've used for a long time when I'm at the range testing its fast to use and works.
((((Also take into consideration that I'm shooting the same weight bullet 230 gr @3100fps from a 21" barrel with a wider frontal area than the "deadly" 30 cal 230gr at 2770))))) and for whatever reason this is better suited than my 338 shooting the same weight bullet faster?? Food for thought..

This data is provided on the Bullet flight app
Range is 825 yards
wind from 3 o'clock @5mph

both rifles zeroed @200 yards
230 ELDX@3100 fps av.
Impact velo 2063fps
Impact energy 2200 ft lbs
Wind drift 1.3 moa
Drop 14.1moa

300 gr berger otm @2680 fps
Impact velo 1945fps
Impact energy 2521ft lbs
18moa up
1 moa wind drift

Lets move it to a 1000 yards.. This is the absolute max I would be shooting my setup.. It simply wasn't designed or built for anything past this honestly.

300 berger
24.2 moa up
1.3 moa wind
impact vleo 1807fps
impact energy 2175ft lbs

230eldx
19.6 moa up
1.7 moa wind
impact velo 1874 fps
impact energy 1800 ft lbs

That is the cut and dry of it!
Is the 300gr right there? of course it is. Is it blowing 230 gr away like every thinks it is? NOPE! I actually wish they would make a 250 gr ELDM after seeing how devastating the 225 is in 300 NIMP.
There is no way for my purpose and use of these specific builds, that I will shoot a 300gr anything and absorb more recoil for absolutely no gain for the parameters I set for my specific builds.

Now a rifle I build to be a strict canyon rifle that's packed very little, possibly shot suppressed and shot a long ways will have a 28-30" pipe shooting a 285 or 300gr something at a higher velocity to make it worth it .. 100% every time no question..

Last edited: