My mission to find the best short barreled big 338!!!

I have a 23" barrel 338 RUM. I was a little hesitant to try any "heavier" in it. Maybe I should give some 230+ gr bullets a try. Running the 200 gr Apex Afterburner at 3200 FPS right now with R26. Waiting on the 210 hammer HHT to be released.

I have a 23" barrel 338 RUM. I was a little hesitant to try any "heavier" in it. Maybe I should give some 230+ gr bullets a try. Running the 200 gr Apex Afterburner at 3200 FPS right now with R26. Waiting on the 210 hammer HHT to be released.
Hell, if those 200's are accurate I'd keep the apex's running 3200 ole son!! Let er eat

Hell, if those 200's are accurate I'd keep the apex's running 3200 ole son!! Let er eat

I really like what I am seeing terminally from the apex bullets. The 147 7mm's have consistent passed through on elk at both close (250ish) and longer (700ish) range, and exited a big mulie diagonally at over 500, with a starting velocity of only a little over 2900, and gellyfied the lungs while doing it. I have only got one elk with a 30 cal version, but it was encouraging. I'm excited to see the .338 tight twist bullet he's eventually going to make, should be pretty awesome. Great bc's too.

I really like what I am seeing terminally from the apex bullets. The 147 7mm's have consistent passed through on elk at both close (250ish) and longer (700ish) range, and exited a big mulie diagonally at over 500, with a starting velocity of only a little over 2900, and gellyfied the lungs while doing it. I have only got one elk with a 30 cal version, but it was encouraging. I'm excited to see the .338 tight twist bullet he's eventually going to make, should be pretty awesome. Great bc's too.
Yes a 225 or 250gr would be Fricken stellar

:eek::eek:3100 fps with a 230gr and will shoot a 250gr to 3000fps in a 20-22" barrel. Shizzz I guess that's like shooting a 6.5 creedmoor these days! Gotta shoot a 300 gr bullet in a 338 or nothin🤣🤣 or it wont kill good and you cant shoot past 200 yards🤣🤣. You are killing me smalls.

Have you shot a suppressed 20-22 inch 8 pound rigged 338 edge pushing 300 gr OTM to their max and spot hits while hunting alone from any shooting position? 😎😎

I have shot every single as you say "good powders" known for these big cases. There isn't one I haven't tried if I could get my hands on it!

Do a few of them offer a little more velocity? Sure, at the cost of terrible fouling, massive throat erosion, Major lot to lot swings, terrible ES's, Terrible temp swings, hard to get, and the list goes on.

I hunt in different locations all from a few hundred feet above sea level with temps from 40 deg in the morning to well over 85 in the afternoon to over 11'000 feet @ -20 to Alaska swamps where it rains, sleets and snows all day every day and nothing is ever dry

You wont catch me running any of those so called "better than H1000- Retumbo" !! I don't Stray from the hogdon extreme line if i can help it. There are so many great shooters/hunters on here that chased the Unicorn powder theory until they tested and went back to H1000. Did they loose a few ft a sec. maybe/probably, but their groups shrank, became more consistent day to day, their es equalized, throat erosion all but disappeared, the list goes on.

But hey shoot what you want its a free country.
Chill out man.

What case were you speaking of in the above post. And to answer your question I have not shot an edge at all. Biggest I have is a 338 NMI with a 28" barrel. It has shot 275 badlands up to 3121 but with N570 powder.

All of the 300 grain fireforming loads I've shot with H1000 were in the high 2600s, albeit with reduced loads.

Chill out man.

What case were you speaking of in the above post. And to answer your question I have not shot an edge at all. Biggest I have is a 338 NMI with a 28" barrel. It has shot 275 badlands up to 3121 but with N570 powder.

All of the 300 grain fireforming loads I've shot with H1000 were in the high 2600s, albeit with reduced loads.
I'm as chill as my awesome Idaho weather my man! 😎 😎 😎

In all honesty, it helps if you read through the thread and see exactly what we as a whole are talking and have talked about! And if I'm not mistaken, you're the one that hopped on my thread and told me what I needed to do with my own rifles? Or was it a question? Although I took it as a statement. Either way, it helps.

You answered my question exactly how I thought you would. You are not alone and that's fine if you haven't, suppressors are not for everyone.

Like stated before, its not easy trying to spot hits shooting them with a 300 gr at full tilt in a light rifle.

An 8 pound 338 edge running a 20-22" barrel is ok with a brake but very obnoxious at the same time.. like spine tingling obnoxious.

My last rifle was a 338 edge.

I've shot a pile of 338 NIMP chambered rifles and they are pretty neat little round. But for me and the ease of use, ADG making head stamped brass, I settled in on the 338 rum and 338 edge for my suppressed hunting rifles.

Like i said before, in a Canyon rifle it would be my 338 Reaper round if it was planned to ever wear a suppressor. No suppressor it would be 33 xc, 37 xc or 375 ct.

Last edited:
I'm as chill as my awesome Idaho weather my man! 😎 😎 😎

In all honesty, it helps if you read through the thread and see exactly what we as a whole are talking and have talked about! And if I'm not mistaken, you're the one that hopped on my thread and told me what I needed to do with my own rifles? Or was it a question? Although I took it as a statement. Either way, it helps.

You answered my question exactly how I thought you would. You are not alone and that's fine if you haven't, suppressors are not for everyone.

Like stated before, its not easy trying to spot hits shooting them with a 300 gr at full tilt in a light rifle.

An 8 pound 338 edge running a 20-22" barrel is ok with a brake but very obnoxious at the same time.. like spine tingling obnoxious.

My last rifle was a 338 edge.

I've shot a pile of 338 NIMP chambered rifles and they are pretty neat little round. But for me and the ease of use, ADG making head stamped brass, I settled in on the 338 rum and 338 edge for my suppressed hunting rifles.

Like i said before, in a Canyon rifle it would be my 338 Reaper round if it was planned to ever wear a suppressor. No suppressor it would be 33 xc, 37 xc or 375 ct.
Yeah my original post was more of a question of what case would you use to be able to achieve 3000fps in a 20-22" barrel.

The reason I was wondering what case is because I recently built a 300SAUM Improved with a 21" barrel and I get just over 3000fps with a 185 Juggernaut and RL26 powder. So I was wondering how you would achieve the same velocity with a 225-250 grain bullet. I certainly wasn't telling you what to do with your build.

As to suppressors, I do shoot them
on every rifle I own. I occasionally shoot my 338 NMI suppressed but not very often.