My first harvy barrel varmint rifle.......CZ, Tika, Savage?

imq707s

I'm getting ready to buy my first heavy barrel varmint rifle. I'm going with .308.

I've narrowed it down to a few different rifles. Can you guys give me your opinons on these rifles. Thanks

1. CZ 550 Varmint w/ Laminate stock Price: $650

2. Tika T3 Varmint Stainless Price: $700

3. Savage 10FP-LE2A Price: $580

I've heard all kinds of great things about the CZ 550's, and the single set awesome. I don't know much about the others. Can you guys give me some info. Are there any other rifles under $700 that I should look at?

Thanks

Ian, I have an older Tikka cont. Varmit that is super accurate and I have owned a CZ 527 in 223 it was very accurate. But I have a buddy that has a Howa varmint in 308 for sale that has never been fired. I know two other fellas from the range that own the same rifle but in different caliber that shoot very good. If you want me to I will find out what my friend want for his howa. Incase you didn't know howa make the weatherby vanguard which include the sub-moa stuff. just shoot me an email at 600n @radiomonkey.org I'm sure his price wil be in the 500ish range maybe 400ish

Rh

Ian, look at the Savage 12BVSS too. It's a really nice rifle and very very accurate for an out of the box rifle. Many of the guys I shoot with have gone from Remingtons to Savages because of the accuracy and trigger alone. I must say, the Savage 12BVSS is a nice looking rifle.

One of them just bought a 12BVSS in 243 which has a 26", 1.9.25 twist barrel. I went shooting with him about two weeks ago to see how his new toy performed. I must say, it was impressive. He has it topped with a Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS, and he is using the 105grn A-Max. He was shooting in the .3's all day with this thing. His best 3 shot group measured .278 at 100 yards. I must say, that is impressive for a $750.00 rifle. I am more impressed with Savage rifles everytime I see one shoot, and I like the Accu trigger.

He is using the following load for this rifle;
1. Powder 44grns Vhit N160
2. Lapua Brass
3. Federal 210M Primers
4. Hornady 105grn A-Max
5. Velocity, out of the 26" barrel, was averaging between 3050 to 3100fps.

He bought the rifle for long range squirrel and Pdog hunting. We are planning a Pdog trip for 2008, so he wanted to have an accurate 6mm for the long range shots. It looks like he has accomplished his goal.

Once again, the Savage 12BVSS is very impressive. Make sure to give it a look before you make your final decision.

Wildcat

I've got the CZ 550 Lam in 22-250. I love the trigger and it looks nice too boot. Mine shoots good with handloads, the bolt action takes some getting used to when I switch from the 700 to the CZ. If you have other rifles that would match your purchase then I would go that way. I just think that it is easier to stay with the same feel of the action.

The one neat feature about my CZ at least is that it has a "hammer drop" button on the left rear of the bolt. So that you can release the hammer without dry firing it.

email me if you want any more info about the CZ'z.

[email protected]
Joe Oakes

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts