My budget quasi custom 260 AI build.

xsn10s

On one thread someone mentioned they were treated poorly because of a budget build. I've been piecing together this budget build for six years. A Remington 700 SA from the 80's I got on a trade, it was my burned out 22-250. A Rock Creek 5R 260 AI barrel used with 300 rounds down the tube. A 60 MOA NF base that was discontinued and sold cheap on ebay. SWFA rings from their used site. And a SWFA 10X Milquad side focus also from the used site. I got the barrel and realized the threads were cut for a blue printed action and were too large in diameter. A friend cut the threads down and checked headspace with the PTG .250 recoil lug I ordered. I compared the two barrels and figured a .250" lug would get me close in headspace and I got lucky. It was .001" within ideal. However the plant manager suggested to my buddy to lap the recoil lugs since there was some galling. I had done it once prior but very lightly as to not change the headspace much. I didn't feel much scrubbing on the virgin brass so the chamber might be a bit long, no biggie I fire formed my brass by jamming into the lands. There wasn't any load data that I found using the components I had so I researched and used my best judgement. I found 43.0 gr Ramshot Hunter and 45.5 gr with a 145 Match Burner (damaged during shipping) to be reasonably accurate with no pressure signs. The 2740 fps is my fire form load. I took it to 1770 yards last week and was low by 1.5 mils. I'll do more shooting when the dirt is drier as dust signatures were very hard to spot, and driving in blm lands was dangerous lol. The last group size should be .296" lol.
328138111_1318482265653996_5184615268212147633_n.jpg
327964139_550224347039584_6721950372063524459_n.jpg
330542701_918231312950856_7904583594275501063_n.jpg
330596816_598296508765023_4020428736857855322_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have Magpul detachable bottom metal ordered so I may try the 43 gr load at around 2.880" or whatever the COAL will be for the Magpul magazine. Eventually I hope to get close to or above 2900 fps with the 145 MB. I'll also route out more clearance in the barrel channel and probably bed the action afterwards. That might help tighten up the groups some more.

It is awesome to see what effort, knowledge, and some scrounging can accomplish. You have created a fine shooter for less than many people will put into a rifle scope. There is more than one way to achieve success. A tip of the hat to you.
Thanks. There was some luck involved too. I took a leap of faith on the barrel. My buddy who is a master machinist said the barrel was very straight, concentric and the chamber was cut inline with the barrel. Better lucky than good lol ;)

I should of titled this my "Barter Build" lol. I had a Leupold VariXIII LR Tactical 4.5-14x50mm on it but have since swapped it for the SWFA10X. The Leupold was clearer, brighter and nicer overall. But the eye box was more finicky and it has a mildot reticle with moa dials. The SWFA is easier to get behind and has the Milquad reticle and mil dials. Since hunting coyotes is the main objective I figured the SWFA will be faster to get a shot down range. With the SWFA I've shot sage rats at 15 ft and took it out to 1770 yards. For LR small varmints even to rock chucks there are better scopes. I think for coyotes it should do well. I just missed a shipment of Staball 6.5 and am low on H4350. We'll see if the RS Hunter does well after fire forming.

Last edited:
The inner tight-wad in me loves budget builds. I really feel that with some thought you can put the right amount of money in the right place and come out pretty darn inexpensive. This takes time, thought, and patience. It is part of the fun for me. It also makes you feel like you've beat the system. I've got a semi-custom 223 that is close to a 1/4 moa rifle. Total build, including scope, was around $3100. I plan to post it and it's performance soon. This rifle got some hate at ARFcom when I was building it back in 2016. Some people are just stuck up. There's no need to get caught up in there misery.

The opposite of budget building would be Gunwerks and others like them. They remove all the variables for you. You know exactly what you got when you open the case. That is awesome as well.

Most of us can probably look in our safes or around our reloading area and find all kinds of "stuff" laying around ready for a Frankenstein build. The only problem is they may come together and shoot as good as the $5k+ custom. That would invoke some depressing thoughts…..
I think when anyone uses that kind of a criteria it's a set up for disappointment. Comparing rarely brings satisfaction. I thought of it in these terms. I wanted to build a rifle myself that I could use for long range hunting within my budget. That meant trading and using less expensive components. Or even stuff I had laying around like you said. And I have friends that are willing to help me. I got stuck when the barrel wouldn't screw on and they helped me with that, if not I would have been charged $250 at the local gunsmith or would of rented an adjustable chase to cut the threads down, hopefully. In the process I learned and am still learning.

Example: I had a deep scratch on my fire formed brass. I thought I might have a scratched chamber which I would have had to polish. After a day or two I realized the feed rail was causing the deep scratch. Some light stoning, use of sand paper and finally crocus cloth fixed it.

When you pay 5K or 10K from a qualified, reputable smith you're going to get what you pay for. The fit and finish is going to show. And that's a thing of beauty. When you build something yourself and it works you're going to gain knowledge and the joy of building something. And that's a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Pictures of the finished build man!

.260ai is a fun cartridge, I love mine. What is your barrel length? With 4831sc, 140 Bergers had a nice load around 2930, pressure signs were at 3000 or a shade over, in my 29" krieger. RL26 got them faster, but while it still shot well, it wasn't quite as stupid accurate and consistent as H4831sc. Currently running the 156 at 2935 with rl26, I might see if I can get n565 to work with the 156 since I have 8 lbs of it and almost no rl26 left......

My son and I have put together a budget .260ai for his first rifle (he is 9) on a top bolt release savage with a 22" x-caliber prefit, Arken scope and aluminum xlr chassis using scavenged AR parts for the grip and stock. He payed for it all with his 4-h money. I snagged 1500 145 Barnes mb's on sale through midway for $90/500, I plan on using h4831sc, was hoping to find a load between 2700 and 2750 for him to train with. While the entire rifle and optic was under $1,500, I am still confident it will be a good trainer for him, and maybe for his 12th birthday I'll get him a mag bolt face and carbon prefit for it in something like a 7 saum or max, so it will be a little better suited for him for elk.

Budget builds are fun, and the lower "ouch" factor when they are finished is nice!

Pictures of the finished build man!

.260ai is a fun cartridge, I love mine. What is your barrel length? With 4831sc, 140 Bergers had a nice load around 2930, pressure signs were at 3000 or a shade over, in my 29" krieger. RL26 got them faster, but while it still shot well, it wasn't quite as stupid accurate and consistent as H4831sc. Currently running the 156 at 2935 with rl26, I might see if I can get n565 to work with the 156 since I have 8 lbs of it and almost no rl26 left......

My son and I have put together a budget .260ai for his first rifle (he is 9) on a top bolt release savage with a 22" x-caliber prefit, Arken scope and aluminum xlr chassis using scavenged AR parts for the grip and stock. He payed for it all with his 4-h money. I snagged 1500 145 Barnes mb's on sale through midway for $90/500, I plan on using h4831sc, was hoping to find a load between 2700 and 2750 for him to train with. While the entire rifle and optic was under $1,500, I am still confident it will be a good trainer for him, and maybe for his 12th birthday I'll get him a mag bolt face and carbon prefit for it in something like a 7 saum or max, so it will be a little better suited for him for elk.

Budget builds are fun, and the lower "ouch" factor when they are finished is nice!
I'll post some pics later on today Cody. I missed that midway sale, bummer. But I got a sale price on 500 so combined price on the damaged 500 box and good 500 box is 112.50 each so not bad. My fire form loads shoot so well at 2740 fps with that 145 MB that even if I only get into the 28XX fps I might be pretty happy. I really want to see some terminal performance. I saw on your thread they seem to do a good job!

Here's the breakdown of the barter or costs.
Rem 700 22-250 ADL about $300 in trade
Rock Creek Barrel $200 trade
H&S Stock with cheek piece $160
SWFA scope $294 shipped
SWFA rings $20
NF base $40
So $1019 total. I got about ten years use out of that 22-250 prior to the barrel finally key-holing bullets.

Last edited:
What G7 are you using for the 145?
.340 G7 which has been pretty close out to 1000 yards. It still seemed fine at 1200 yards but limited shots. And at 1650-1770 I couldn't spot many dust signatures due to the ground being wet. Once I get more trigger time and the ground dries up some more I might get a more accurate G7.

I also used Hornady's free ballistics app. So far it seems pretty good.