My 7 PRC vs. 280 Ackley problem

KyleC

I've had a 280 Ackley built by Gordy Gritters for the better part of 20 years. The barrel life is on the downside with fairly severe fire cracking. Recently I bought a Proof Elevation lightweight Hunter in 7 PRC. It's a tack driver. Knowing what I know now after lots of customs I would have built my Ackley a lot different. My quandary is, do i build another 280 AI or rock the 7 PRC and retire the Ackley?

I have several - 280 rem, 7mm rem, 7mm wby and 7stw so this is coming from a voice of "reason"!

If you like the AI, do it - it's a great all around useful cartridge and it will now most likely last your lifetime with two options to use now. You can have one that goes heavy and one that goes LW pills if you like or make them similar weight with your new twist on the AI - life's short you obviously like the 7's - unless you have a burning desire for something else, i'd do it.

Ballistically they are nearly twins. I have the same dilemma with a GAP 280AI which is a little bit heavy for the mountains so I built a lighter weight 280AI. GAP rifle still has lots of life remaining (only 800 rounds on it) but pondering what to do with it.

I'd take ur 280AI and re-configure into another cartridge that provides you something in a different ballpark depending upon what you need.