My 243

Lance:
I really like the paint job on your rifle. Like you, I have an airbrush and would like to paint my rifle when it gets back from the gunsmith. Can you give me the specs on the paint you used?.....brand, type of paint, where you bought it any other relevant info.

Thanks

Where is this spot now, is it closer to you or closer to me now?? How far could you shoot!!

Erik

It's further from both of us from the last spot. It also involves much more walking, but we could easily get 1500+yds. It's about 12 miles further up HWY 2. This weekend I plan to up steel up around 700yds. I'll also put a small steel plate up a little over 500yds away. With the way my 243 shoots we're going to have to bring lots of eggs.

Great! What elevation are you shooting at? My shooting spot is at 4000+ and I am still snowed in. So I'm making the hour and a half drive to shoot at a 1000 yard range.

I made it to the T.V. shoot, no prizes here. But, really enjoyed the day, and got a good laugh. I watched a small figured girl touch off a 50BMG and over she went, she was laughing and so was everyone else.

Thanks for sharing and good shooting.

I believe we're about 2900ft or so. That TV shoot sounds like a good time, get any pics?

Lance:
I really like the paint job on your rifle. Like you, I have an airbrush and would like to paint my rifle when it gets back from the gunsmith. Can you give me the specs on the paint you used?.....brand, type of paint, where you bought it any other relevant info.

Thanks

I used Brownell's AlumaHyde in Coyote, OD Green and Black. I just sprayed it into my little airbrush cup, it was messy but it worked. I bought the paint at a local gun show for $11 a can wich was a great deal!I just got a stock in for my custom 7wsm, so I'll be breaking out the airbrush again soon.

My buddy and I did some egg shooting out there on Monday after work. My rifle shot so well, I'm still in shock days later! This is by far the most accurate rifle I've ever fired! If condiditons are consistant and your hold is good, you will hit the egg from 588yds. I've done allot of egg shooting, but this is the best I've ever experienced. Here's some pics, hope you guys like...

Here's a pic of some of the eggs we set up 588yds from where we shoot.
eggs.jpg

Here's a look back from the eggs to the location we shoot from (circled in red).
Shootingfrom.jpg

Here's some pics of our set up.
005-7.jpg

004-10.jpg

Last edited:
I believe we're about 2900ft or so. That TV shoot sounds like a good time, get any pics?

Nope, ran off without my camera...again. I have some old pictures from 3 years ago, I need to scan them on my computer.

I had the chance to meet a forum member of Long Range Hunting. Let me tell you, his rifle was awesome. His father got into the shootoff with this gun.

Man, now I want to come, but like I said, I will want to come when I get a better rifle with a lot better optics and mounts. Hopefully this summer I can start meeting up with you. I plan on getting a .243 as well for more of plinker and comp gun because of the better ballistics. (i dont mind the walk, it would be good exercise for me, starting to gain a little weight:))

Erik

My brother is building a 243 now also. He's going to be shooting eggs with us this saturday. He's only come out to do long range shooting once before, but he's already hooked. He shot a 1.25" group with my 243 from 550yds. The rifle can shoot better, but it was his first time shooting prone with a bi-pod. I expect he'll get a few eggs this weekend.

There's some new guys that I know coming Saturday, so I'll bring some ammo for my 308. The 243 is so accurate that I don't want to burn up that barrel teaching guys how to shoot. The 308 will do well under 1/2 MOA at those distances, making egg shooting a challenge, yet very doable. It'd take a new guy a while to be able to shoot to its potential.

Lance - thanks for the info on the paint you used. I think I'll have to get some myself. As an FYI for you, I searched the Brownell's website and found they make the aluma-hyde paint in pourable cans. They don't have all the colors that are available in spray, but they do have two of your colors. You can find them at: LIQUID ALUMA-HYDE® II at Brownells

If the link doesn't work, just to go Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools and search aluma-hyde and all their products will pop-up.

Got out to do some long range egg shooting again.

Here's a brake down of the conditions...

Wind: 3.4-13.8mph
Temp: 42.6 F
Baro: 28.39
Humid: 84.8%

I hit 9 eggs in a row from 588yds. It was a good time to shoot so well since my gandfather was visiting from Alaska and my Dad also happend to come out with us this time. We also busted clay pigeons at 704yds we should have brought some more, I'm sure we could hit many consecutively. My grandfather and father were both stunned with the accuracy of our rifles. My buddy hit 5 eggs in a row from 588yds with his custom 308. We had a great day to say the least. Here's some pics.

My buddy Jesse and my Dad
002-10.jpg

Our setup
009-8.jpg

Jesse and I (we're doing the Idaho State Sniper Challenge together in June)
010-6.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.