My 2012 953 yard Texas Hog

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Sorry I didn't get this posted sooner (been busy), but on Janurary 18th I loaded the family on a plane bound for Texas to visit my friend Chase Stroud and do some hog hunting. Chase owns and runs Doe Creek Run Inn a very nice bed and breakfast in the country out side of Houston a couple of hours. The acomodations and food were top drawer in terms of a bed and breakfast. Whi;e we were there Chase had offered to take my dad and I hog hunting to film some footage for Send It Volume 4. Long story short the weather and poachers conspired to do in our hunting plans but we got squared away on a hog at 953 yards. We spotted the hog lying in a dirt patch at the base of a hump (they call these hills but it is hard for me to call a topographical feature 8 feet high more than a hump). The sun was perfect coming from behind us quartering. The wind was clipping right along at around 16 mph. I got prone with my faithfull old Canyon Rifle ( #0051 ) and spread my pile of LRH gear out quickly. Chase jumped behid the spotting scope with a Kestrel in hand. I loaded a round in the rifle, a 300 gr Berger Hybrid backed by 92.0 gr H1000. Chase called out 953 yards and I entered it in the Recon along with the conditions he called out. I dailed up the 21.75 moa elevation and asked for a wind call. Chase called out 16 mph wind from just less than half value, we agreed on 2.75 moa left for wind adjustment. By the time we got all of this done the hog had moved (wiggled) into a quartering to position. I felt good about our shooting solution and called a head shot as this was the largest and best shot profile. Chase went into standard spotter / shooter comunication with "spotter up", I said "I'm on it". Chase made a quick last minute wind check and called out "send it". I applied pressure to the tuned Remington trigger until it broke at 2.25 lbs sendint the 300 gr Berger on it's way. It dropped the calculated 213 inches and drifted the 27 inches we estimated the wind to be and impacted rigth behind the hogs ear exiting out the other side just behind the jaw. It was a nearly perfect shot and I was excited to make such a shot on film in those windy conditions. My many thanks go out to Chase for dragging us around Texas in persuit of hogs and being the ultimate host.

TEXASHOGWEB.jpg

Thanks for sharing, great shot, great story. Nailing the wind call is especially impressive over that distance. Did you get to sample the pork?

Wow, nice shootin! At first I thought, ohh just another Carlock under 1k (after seeing your +1600 yard shot It seems like anything less is just childsplay for you). then I saw the 16 mph, and a head shot!
nicely done, gotta get the vid out soon!

Great shot! Even better to have it on film.

Yea it doesn't take much to qualify as a hill down here.

CA48,

We had a great time but the highest topo feature was one fo the highway overpasses we drove over. A little different kind of country than I'm used to. While the lay of the land often allowed you to see a long way it also created the issue of not having enough elevation to see you target when prone alot. Looking forward to going back.

Very nice shot Shawn, thanks for sharing the story and pic. So I am guessing on the flat grould you ranged this hog with the vectronix?

Jeff

Man its been a while since Ive been on here guys! My computer literally took 14 min to load this page/sight! I dont know why but its just here. Anywho, Shawn and his family are some great people. They are always welcome back here with me any time they want! Dont let shawn fool you about the dirt mountain that we shot that hog at! I climbed it and needed oxygen half way up! :D

As for the range finder yes we used shawns plrf10. My swaro doesnt do so hot. As for the wind, its pretty steady across the open plowed fields we were doing a lot of the hunting on so it never varied much more than 3 mph once we got a reading. Shawn and Bob are decent shots I guess even if they are from Idaho ;) He needs to come down and shoot with me when we have some 30 mph winds when I shoot at a mile plus! Maybe I could learn him a thing or two!

Oh and by the way, we had more fun laughing at the way eachother talked than anything! Im sure we have more than a few bloopers that should make the outtake real!

Chase

Are you going to upload that video on your website or youtube? I'd love to watch it. I'm very impressed with the shooting. Thank God for Hart barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.