muzzle brake sound

It took awhile for me to get used to wearing ear protection while hunting (Axil GS earbuds) but wouldn't go without them now. I wear them under my muffs at the range and put on some quiet classic rock and can still talk to and hear other shooters.

I like them….a lot! Though I only use them with my S&W 460……the "only" thing we have with a brake! 😉 memtb

I like them….a lot! Though I only use them with my S&W 460……the "only" thing we have with a brake! 😉 memtb
My only prior experience with a break is my 50 bmg If I had to choose between the two witch to shoot without muffs I'll take the 50. The 300 is just nasty to the ears and although the 300 is carbon fiber very light the 3 port brake don't do much for recoil either so it's getting replaced. Shooting this gun without a brake is not an option way too much jump and recoil I can't shoot something good that wants to eat your face when you pull the trigger. my model model 70 300 wasn't bad at all this one is nasty.

I love muzzle brakes! I have one of every bolt action centerfire rifle that I own (yes, even my 223). Recoil is detrimental to accurate shooting. Yes, brake use is noisier because they do not direct the pressure pulse moving away from you. But, shooting a rifle with no brake will still cause hearing damage if no hearing protection is used. I can attest to that since I grew up not using hearing protection (or brakes) and I am nearly deaf now. So, I use ear muffs all the time now when shooting/ hunting because I don't want to loose what little hearing I have left. Once your hearing is gone, it is GONE.

Unfortunately, the Vais brake doesn't seem to be available. I read something about a lawsuit but can't recall the outcome. I tried to get a couple for my varmint rifles a bit over a year ago and could find nothing.
The last Vais brake I had made was done by Ron Bartlett. He was a pleaure to do business with. I'm not confident that he is producing Vais brakes anymore. Here is the Vais/Barlett story which was found on the net:

"Vais Arms was purchased from George Vais by Ron Bartlett in 1999. At this time the company was incorporated under the same name because of the association of the Vais name with the muzzle brakes.

Ron Bartlett is the owner and operator of Vais Arms, Inc. Ron's career in gunsmithing began when he graduated with an associate degree in gunsmithing from Trinidad State Jr. College in Trinidad, Colorado. After graduation he was employed by Dale Wise Custom Guns in San Antonio for four years where he learned some of the finer points of rifle barrel work .From '71 to '74 he worked for Robert Kleinguenther (now KDF) as gunsmith in charge of quality control.

In '97 Ron decided to try the Vais muzzle brake since brakes were getting more popular all the time, and the Vais brake was advertised as being quieter. After making initial contact with George Vais he was invited to order the brakes direct. The Vais brakes were soon so popular with customers that they insisted on no other brake but the Vais.

After a friendly two and a half year business relationship with George Vais, George informed Ron that he could no longer tolerate the pollution and food additives in our country and wanted to move back to his home country of Greece. The business in its entirety was offered to Ron. After Georges asking price was met and a non-compete agreement was signed the business was transferred to Ron."

Just a side note, do you reload your 460 S&W rounds? Asking because I have a 45 Raptor and reloading info has been vague, even contradictory at times. Although the ammo is nearly identical, one is a pistol, one is a rifle.

From Hogdon
Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
Hodgdon H110 0.451" 2.110" 39.0 2,045 39,400 PSI 42.0 2,243 51,800 PSI
Hodgdon H4227 0.451" 2.110" 37.0 2,007 42,100 PSI 41.0 2,191 54,400 PSI
Winchester 296 0.451" 2.110" 39.0 2,045 39,400 PSI 42.0 2,243 51,800 PSI

note bullet dia is .451? All with 225 grain Bar X

From Lehigh Defense, 220 grain XD

Hodgdon H11040.02,25546.02,450
IMR 422740.02,15044.52,375
max grains way higher

Hogdon test barrel was 10", Lehigh was 20"
I am more inclined to trust Hogdon. Hogdon also used Magnum large rifle primers, Lehigh did not...Lehigh also never posts any pressure readings.

Thoughts?

Recent Posts