MT going to cut loose on wolves!!!

Encouraging news from Idaho (F&G website May 13 2011). Helicopter hunts started in the Lolo unit-scratch 5 wolves. Interesting side note was the observation of how hard it is to kill even a collared wolf from a helicopter in the timber! Also efforts to allow guides and outfitters to kill wolves spotted during spring bear hunts, stepped up depredation kills with the possibility of depredation permits. Most of the focus is on Lolo-remember this unit historically held 20,000 elk and is down to 1700 post wolf introduction. Using the official numbers this area has probably suffered more than Yellowstone Park. The numbers aren't mine, if folks on the ground there have different numbers they won't get a disagreement from me. Thanks to anyone actively involved in changing the momentum in this issue. Stay at it, this is just a start. Idaho houndmen it looks like payback time may be here. The difference between an Idaho wolf, and a Montana wolf is just a few days. This ability to range makes area quota, and area specific hunts like this minimally effective and requires ongoing kills if we are to have elk to hunt. But you have to love the change in F&G behavior.

Last edited:
Hi Idahoans and anyone else that wants to come here and shoot a wolf!
I recently wrote an email (see URL below) to the Fish and Game Commissioners asking them to get wolf hunts going now, as elk are calving and are more vulnerable this time of year to wolves taking their calves. I also requested that they allow hunters to use electronic callers (e-calls) to aid them in their conquest. I have hunted wolves very successfully in the Yukon using a FoxPro with a decoy. We need an immediate reduction of wolves now if we are going to have any success in elk herd improvement. Remember, there will still be a significant number of wolves maintained from now on. They will continue killing elk and we will have a terrific battle improving elk herds due to that fact alone. We have a very critical time element we need to take action in or we're going to just loose what's left of our herds. The helicopter hunting the Feds did in the Lolo drainage was a huge waste of money and lacked success. It won't be used again as it was found to be very ineffective. E-calls work as well as anything I've seen. You also pick up coyotes along the way, which help our deer herds.
Send a request to the commissioners at the Idaho Fish and Game contact site which is: Contact Us
Thanking all in advance in helping out. If you think of anything else you want the commissioners to put on their table don't forget to make the request!gun)

Last edited:
I've done well using some of the standard rabbit calls I've used for yotes. One of the best calls and decoys I used was two coyote decoys with howling, ki-yi, female in heat and pup. One wolf I got I used a cow moose call. Obviously, up north, the calls you would use would be a little different than ones here. I would think that calf elk calls, the coyote calls and domestic dog barks would be very effective. I fooled around last fall up by Dworshak Reservoir and called five wolves within 60 yards using a female Mtn. Lion howl. I couldn't believe my eyes when they came in from three different directions before winding me. They sat and looked me over for several minutes before lumbering off. That was a very good thing because all I was packing was a little Beretta .22 auto pistol. I fired two rounds in the air and was amazed that they didn't immediately take off. That told me that, at present, they have very little fear of man.

Gone Ballistic,

Message sent to F&G, thanks for the idea. ? fired 2 rounds in the air, is that the same as too much holdover? My partner and I will probably try our luck if enough season, quota, and callers are allowed. Gas prices, and nonresident licenses are pretty steep for the way last years regulations were set up.

Here is an official statement from the Idaho Fish and Game of confirmed predation by wolves on domestic livestock. And the numbers are probably much higher as the USWS tends to blame many domestic livestock kills other predators when in fact it was more than likely a wolf kill.

In 2010, Wildlife Services confirmed that wolves killed 75 cattle, 148 sheep, two horses and one domestic bison. In addition, 14 cattle, 30 sheep and one livestock guard dog were considered probable wolf kills.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=5860

Last edited:
The more folks that send emails to the Idaho Fish and Game Commissioners the stronger considerations they give it. I've found out over the years that they don't put much effort into making changes or adjustments if they only get one or two suggestions. However, if they get ten to fifteen requests by email on the same subject they really tend to give it stong consideration. They have what they call a "responce formula". Politicians use it as well. It indicates a probability theory of mass numbers equated to set amounts of like responces. For example, 3 like emails might dictate that 20% of the public is in favor where as 15 like emails might dictate that 80% is in favor. I'm just using these numbers as examples as I don't know what the actual equation is. I do know that the more emails we can get sent in, the more successful we'll be in having them pass our suggestion. So, my fellow hunters, please help us out and email the commissioners of Idaho at: Contact Us
This is a contact form that you can complete is a couple of minutes or less and it would really help us in getting them to allow electronic callers for wolf hunting.gun)

Good thread.
Here in Western Montana we have about 12% of our 1995 Elk herd remaining. I don't think hunting wolves will make a difference. Ask the Alaskans. Hunting will only kill off the dumbest 10% and leave the smartest 90%.
In 5 years or so, there will be no more Elk hunting here.
Taxpayers spent around a million bucks a head to purchase these diseased Canadian wolves.
» Two-Thirds of Idaho Wolf Carcasses Examined Have Thousands of Hydatid Disease Tapeworms Wildlife and People

» Synopsis of Wolf-Borne Hydatid Disease Wildlife and People

These wolves are spreading the hydatid disease and this is not being reported by the media. If you search the word "hydatid" on the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation website you get nothing. Same with the Mule Deer Foundation. I will never support either of these organizations.

Here are some good links about the wolf problem and related lies and cover ups:
Home
The Outdoorsman
Wolf Report - A comprehensive expose of the truth about wolf recovery

What I would like to know is what tactics were used by our ancestors to eradicate wolves. I know they didn't get rid of them simply by hunting and trapping. Anyone have a link?

Hate to inform you but collared wolves from Yellowstone have already made it to Raton, New Mexico. You missed your opportunity on these. LOL
Google Colorado wolf poisoned-since you plan on using your Winchester I'm guessing somebody else got out the 1080. If I recall correctly that particular collared wolf traveled Utah as well. I'd guess if we had access to the tracking data he wasn't alone. I do wish you the best keeping them out.

Don't blame the wolves it is colder up north and those Canada guys shoot at them LOL.
I'm going to help them in 2014, traps, bait sets, and calling-no holds barred. They ARE LOL over this wolf deal. Just read the EU threatened Sweden with legal action over their wolf hunts, Sweden caved. Just when you think it can't get any dumber. Maybe Sweden should train em as riot dogs, and give em to the rest of Europe, now that would rise to the level of LMAO.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.