Moving guns cross country

GoGators

Thoughts/feedback on best way to move guns (they are in a safe) on long distance move with least risk (theft)? Moving from FL to CO in about 2 months. Moving company moving all the stuff. I am moving out ahead of the wife and kids due to my start date. Is it better to have them shipped to me ahead of the move? I have met the driver of the move truck and no reason not to trust him. I cannot bring them with me as I am staying for about two weeks in an extended stay hotel prior to closing on new house.

Thanks

That's a good question. I've personally moved my own firearms. When I was in outside firearms sales I'd load up my rig with around twenty plus firearms in hard cases and take them into the hotel with me. I'd be interested in hearing how others have done it. If using a moving company I'd want all the firearms in a safe and document it all.

Make sure you have insurance that will cover your replacement costs if something would happen …. I would take pics of the weapons and serial numbers as well … you could also put GPS trackers on them … probably wouldn't register within the moving truck but would once they are removed

If it were me, I'd find a hotel that allows you to take them into your room. I know, it would be a pain to have to transfer them, but I would never put them in the hands of a mover. Just my .02. One other thought, what part of Colorado are you moving to. I have hunting buddies in Colo. Springs and Castle Rock where you might be able to store them until you're ready.

Thoughts/feedback on best way to move guns (they are in a safe) on long distance move with least risk (theft)? Moving from FL to CO in about 2 months. Moving company moving all the stuff. I am moving out ahead of the wife and kids due to my start date. Is it better to have them shipped to me ahead of the move? I have met the driver of the move truck and no reason not to trust him. I cannot bring them with me as I am staying for about two weeks in an extended stay hotel prior to closing on new house.

Thanks
Where to in Colorado?

If it were me, I'd find a hotel that allows you to take them into your room. I know, it would be a pain to have to transfer them, but I would never put them in the hands of a mover. Just my .02. One other thought, what part of Colorado are you moving to. I have hunting buddies in Colo. Springs and Castle Rock where you might be able to store them until you're ready.
My old F250 looked like it was trying to pop a wheelie with all my gun stuff stuffed in the bed lol.

My brother moved back to TN from AK a few years back. He ended up mailing his rifles to himself. It took over a month and allot of calls to the post office but he finally got them. If you were to go this route, insure them with the post office and make sure you have the tracking numbers for each firearm. Take pictures of the rifles in the cases you are going to ship them in and make sure you have any paperwork proving their value. If you don't have paperwork to prove their value, they won't pay. The post office will do everything in their power not to pay. As for insuring through a moving company, study their policy thoroughly. Another brother of mine had everything insured but he did not realize that it was by the pound. The movers broke a couch worth over $1000 and an antique marble countertop. I think they got about $50 from the moving company. Again, they will also do anything not to pay you including taking your money to insure your guns and then tell you they don't insure guns once they have been stolen by the moving crew. Never trust movers. I have used movers on several occasions as have my other family members and none of us have ever had a good experience. If they are corporate movers, they are probably a little more trustworthy because they know they will lose allot of business in the future if they screw you over.

Thanks
Are you driving? I would rent a storage unit near the new house for 1 month and move anything like that myself, then store in the locked unit. Once you close on the house, clear out the unit and you're good to go.

I considered using PODS also. You pack it and then lock it up. They store it until you're ready to move in. Then you unpack it.