Most challenging N.A. bow hunt?

I think I need to throw the elusive Coues Deer in on this one. I have no doubt that sheep and goats would be difficult but Coues are tough with a bow. I guess I should add, spot and stalk, since I know there are some that will hunt from a tree stand or blind, but that way of hunting just isn't for me.

Kinda gotta agree with this. I have taken a mountain goat with a bow and while the terrain is certainly challenging, they are easy to glass, they don't deal with enough predators to be on pins and needles all day and mature billys are usually solo so you don't have a bunch of eyes and ears to contend with.

The sheer amount of luck involved to arrow a wolf puts it pretty high on my list of challenging bow hunts. First you gotta find a wolf, then you better hope it's a pretty dumb one lol.
Pretty much. They're always on the move and very weary.

Alaska muskox!
Muskox is one of the easiest hunts available once you have the tag. They move in a large herd with a typically known location and respond to predators (you) by grouping up in a circle with the larger males on the outside. All you do is snowmachine up to them, pick your animal, and shoot it. No stalking required

Muskox is one of the easiest hunts available once you have the tag. They move in a large herd with a typically known location and respond to predators (you) by grouping up in a circle with the larger males on the outside. All you do is snowmachine up to them, pick your animal, and shoot it. No stalking required
Buddy did the the hunt last year. He hunts big game all over north America and said between the planning and the actual hunt it was the hardest he's done. Between the 2k dollar once in a lifetime tag, 6k in airfare, 5k for a native "guide" and living with the native family for 5 days, extreme blowing wind and cold temps, and taking 3 arrows to drop the musk ox, he was exhausted to say the least when he left AK. Here's a pick of some steaks. Best eating meat he's ever had he claims.
IMG-20200516-WA0000.jpg

Kinda gotta agree with this. I have taken a mountain goat with a bow and while the terrain is certainly challenging, they are easy to glass, they don't deal with enough predators to be on pins and needles all day and mature billys are usually solo so you don't have a bunch of eyes and ears to contend with.

The sheer amount of luck involved to arrow a wolf puts it pretty high on my list of challenging bow hunts. First you gotta find a wolf, then you better hope it's a pretty dumb one lol.
Agree 98.67%. My Mt. Goat hunt was so underwhelming I think in my mind it was not a hunt to share much.
While I enjoyed it, It never had a wow factor. Many factors played into this (location) but I could kill them all day with a wrist rocket where I was.
When talking hunting I often forget about my Mt.Goat but, I remember the hard ones for sure though.
I cannot complain with the 3 points it used.

Last edited:
Agree 98.67%. My Mt. Goat hunt was so underwhelming I think in my mind is was not a hunt to share much.
While I enjoyed it, It never had a wow factor. Many factors played into this (location) but I could kill them all day with a wrist rocket where I was.
when talking hunting I often forget about my Mt.Goat. I remember the hard ones for sure though.
Mountain goat hunt difficulty is very based on location for sure. Some can be pretty tough, my wife had a tag this year and the county was tough and the billys were spooky where we were at. That being said we could have gone to the other side of the unit and had a much easier hunt With goats that see humans on a much more frequent basis but she wanted a challenge and she got one!

That's no lie. A couple years ago I was at 90 yards and had one more bush to slip by to get to 75 and have a confident shot. Idk what happened but when I sipped around the bush he was gone, that was after crouching or crawling for almost 200 yards.
Coues deer get just plain jumpy about anything unusual inside of a 100 circle. The guys I know that consistently kill them with a bow are either sitting very remote water or shooting over 100 yards.

Coues deer get just plain jumpy about anything unusual inside of a 100 circle. The guys I know that consistently kill them with a bow are either sitting very remote water or shooting over 100 yards.
For sure, I didn't have a lot of confidence in a new bow that year and the arrows were bad for it. I can shoot to 100 with it now, but not then. 75 was my limit for that trip. I did drag a javelina out of there though. Hell, hunting mule deer down in the desert is pretty tough too. Sitting water is pretty lame, in my opinion, I'd sit for 30 minutes and have to start moving or fall asleep.

Ibex. The mountain where they live in here in NM is straight up and down. The rocks have no vegetation on them to hold them together. People have had to hire mountain climbers to retrieve their animals. I've been within 50 feet of Rocky Mountain Bighorns, and my friend actually touched one with his boot as it was licking on salt. I never got closer than 400 yards to a big ibex billy. There are some good videos online. A local who has hunted them for years, claims to have killed 3.