most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

I've got Browning, Tikka, and Rem"out of the box" rifles that will all do 1/2" or less 3 shot, and sub inch 5 shot.
As far as a cheap outta the box, the Marlin bolt gun I have in 270 is the best dollar for accuracy I've ever seen. It is sub 300$, and is consistantly pitching groups under 1/2 inch.
The browning I have just shot a .18" 3 shot group at 100 yards a month ago; a 300 win pitching a 220 sierra at 2800 fps. It also does 10 shot groups with the 165 hornady interlock at 1" flat.
Heck, my outta the box 50 cal muzzle-loader (TC in-line) will put 5 in an inch and a half with a 1x crosshair.

Out of the box - Considering value for $ here in New Zealand the Tikka T3 is very hard to go past. Being SS synthetic and including rings in the box it is the same price or cheaper than any silmilarly spected rifle available in the country. As far as throwing a scope on and shooting a rifle sub MOA with medium quality factory ammo I have yet to see one fail to perform. They have an excellent adjustable trigger, ridged synthetic stock, smooth bolt, and light weight. The magazine can be seen as a plus or minus depending on the shooter. I have four (.223 Rem with 1:8", 243 Win, 308Win and 7mmRM). All will shoot less than 1MOA with factory ammo. All will shoot under 0.5MOA with good handloads. The 7mmRM will deliver 0.3 MOA with Hornady Superformance 162 SST's every time I do my bit.
I have also had good experience with Savage over the years, but they are ugly and usually weigh more than the T3's. All of the Remingtons bar a .204 also shot fairly well, but usually require work to catch the T3 i.e. bedding, lug truing, fussy with ammo, etc.
As the original request was " out of the box" T3's get my vote. Going by the various posts in shooting forums here in New Zealand and turnover in a few local gun shops, I'm guessing that more than a third of the new rifles sold here are Tikka T3's and you rarely hear any negative feedback.

the most accurate one i've owned is a TC Icon in 338 win mag. It took awhile to find the load it likes.But after finding that load which is a 210gr Nos. Partition with 76gr of RL19 I played with the seating depth. When I found the correct depth it literally shot one ragged hole at 100 yds in three shots.

Remington 770 all the way. ahah :D but seriously...my old 770 .308 used to shot .4" or better all day with factory Rem Core-lokts. Sold it this past weekend to fund my 6.5x47L Rem 700 project.

i bought a weatherby vanguard straight from the store no bedding nothing adjusted .115 group of 5 at 100 yards 7mm rem mag great rifle and i went and bought another a 300 weatherby mag .325 5 shot group at 100 yards same thing no adjustments great rifles this was the first series vanguards too and not the sub moa version my girlfriend just got one in .308 i will let you know how it shoots

What's up with your girlfriend .308? Any good results yet?

My old Savage Police Tactical Model 110, hvy bbl .223 with Redfield Police Tactical 4x12 scope shot .16" and .21" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. with Black Hills regular production 69 grain Sierra Match Kings after firelapping with a kit just like the Tubbs one in 2002 before they came out with the model 10. I followed the firelapping with a thorough hand polishing with super fine rouge before the shoot. This is from sand bag rests only--not a machine rest! I don't know how much better it could get from there! I have not even bedded the tupperware stock!
My stock Remmington 788 in 22-250 has shot .43" with Black Hill's std. 55 grainers.
My stock Rem. 700 VSSF with Bauch & Lomb Elite 3200 scope came in at .52".
I'll stay with Rem. and Savage! These are all 5 shot groups with 3 minute cooling rests between shots!

Last edited:
My old Savage Police Tactical Model 110, hvy bbl .223 with Redfield Police Tactical 4x12 scope shot .16" and .21" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. with Black Hills regular production 69 grain Sierra Match Kings after firelapping with a kit just like the Tubbs one in 2002 before they came out with the model 10. I followed the firelapping with a thorough hand polishing with super fine rouge before the shoot. This is from sand bag rests only--not a machine rest! I don't know how much better it could get from there! I have not even bedded the tupperware stock!
My stock Remmington 788 in 22-250 has shot .43" with Black Hill's std. 55 grainers.
My stock Rem. 700 VSSF with Bauch & Lomb Elite 3200 scope came in at .52".
I'll stay with Rem. and Savage! These are all 5 shot groups with 3 minute cooling rests between shots!

@twoprinces,

Thanks for the input. I'm curious on the firelapping/rouge prep beforehand.

If I may ask, would you mind sending me a PM with more details on this kit, and the process you used to do it?

Thanks!

Savage.

I've owned pretty much all of the well known brands other than Sako/Tikka. I'd like to try a TC Venture. I hear they shoot well.

Sako's and Tikka's consistently shoot better than most factory production rifles and with the accuracy guarantee they give they put their money where their mouth is (so to speak).

Sako and Tikka's Accuracy Guarantee is
Tikka's with a sporter weight barrel are 3 shots 1" group with hunting ammo
Tikka's with a Varmint (heavy) weight barrel are 5 shots 1" group with hunting ammo.
All Sako's are 5 shot 1" groups with hunting ammo.

Last edited:
Savage.

Just purchased a 11/111 Savage LRH in 300 WSM a couple of days ago. Took it out for its maiden shoot today and was very impressed with the accuracy. 3/4 inch and some less were very standard through the barrel breaking process.

Savage.

I've owned pretty much all of the well known brands other than Sako/Tikka. I'd like to try a TC Venture. I hear they shoot well.
try a TC venture u won't be disappointed if u are send it back they will make sure ur satisfied very accurate rifles

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.