Moose Hunting

deergrunt

I am going Moose hunting this Oct. for a week. I have never gone hunting for Moose before. I intend to use my .308 Winchester for the hunt. My question is, "What bullet/powder combination should I use?" I have taken bear and countless number of deer with this rifle. I know that bullet placement is key for such a large animal. Thank you in advance for your help.

Deergrunt.

I've shot several and the double-lung shot worked well..

Don't expect a big reaction from the moose when it's hit, the three I shot seemed to care less about the slight annoyance of the bullet going through their body...

They're pretty BIG so I'd probably use a good stout bullet just in case there's a big bone in the way of the vitals. All three I killed were with 300 grain Sierra MatchKings from 338 caliber rifles.

Your .308 will handle the moose, but I echo the sentiment that the moose will not react probably even in the slightest...I'd personally prefer my 30-06, but with correct shot placement in the lungs and using something like a Nosler partition, bonded round or ballistic tip you will get your moose meat :]

There is an excellent book out by Craig Boddington called "The Perfect Shot North America", in which he delves into the proper shot placement on nearly every type of North American big game, and I believe he also is photographed in the book with a moose that he took with a .308, if I'm not mistaken. I highly recommend it, and there is even a pocket field guide of the same available for carry along with shot placement diagrams, believe it or not.

Dont worry about the powder so much. Use what ever your rifle likes. I do recomend using the X bullet or the Partition or some other good bullet so as to get it all the way through to the other side. Dont worry about it going all the way through either. Moose even BIG moose dont have near the spirit that elk and whitetails have. They give up pretty easy for the most part. Hunt with your 308 for moose with confidence provided you use a suitable bullet.

Closest was about 175 yards...he was walking (moose walk pretty fast) and I poked a hole through the lungs...he had the slightest of gait change at the hit, like a tiny little stumble and continued on until he found a suitable clump of willows to entangle himself and die.

Thank you for all your comments. It has been very useful. I think I'm going to load up some 165 grain Interbonds from Hornady with 45 grains of H-Varget. This load should yeild better than 2750 fps at the muzzle. The book shows better than 2000 ft/lbs @ 200 yds. This should be enough to deflate both lungs. I have some deer damage permits to stress test this load on. The Moose hunt in Oct. is a trip of a life time for me. I don't want to leave anything for chance!

Thanks again,
Deergrunt
I live to hunt!

Grunt,
I would also consider the Win. Failsafe or the Federal Trophy Bonded bullets in factory loads - both shoot very well and they are 95% retention bullets. Other super tough bullets are the Barnes and the Swift A-Frame, all are 95-100 percent retension bullets.
When you go to the Interbond, Accubond, Scirocco and Grenad Slam you get from 65-85%, still good but not as good if you have to penetrate a lot of mass such as in a raking shot.
Moose are BIG targets. Get a good shooting rest, place the shot into the chest and he will die. You have lots of time to find a good hunting load, bullet placement and performance are the key here, not hair-splitting accuracy.

I hate to say it, but if its the trip of a lifetime, I think I'd get just a bit larger rifle. Around 300 mag or 338 mag. Just in case the only shot you get is further out, or has to penetrate at an angle or through bones.

Should add--even if the rifle is a cheapy savage and you had to use the scope off the 308 and or even sell the gun when you got back to conserve funds.

OTOH I'd feel totally fine with the 308 if I had the luxury to pass up a shot due to circumstances.

Whatever ya do stick with bonded bullets or better and don't go below 165. I shot a long time with a 308 in an M1A in matches and my favorite bullets were 180 grainers. They worked well and had enough power to penetrate well.

Jeff

The most dramatic shot you can make on a moose broadside is the hump shot! That is the central nervious system main juntion. A shot from even the lowly .222 REM. puts them on there side right now, just like you pulled the rug out from under there feet. This is an anchor shot, the only thing they can do is thrash there heads. "This is my favorite shot" I know young men on the Yukon river that kill quite a few moose each year using .308 WIN. and factory load REMINGTON corelock's and have no trouble. The next shot which works vary well is the TEXAS heart shot, this is a going away shot and the target is the poop tube. This shot will leave them with only front legs use for a vary short way. And lastly if you have a facing shot (head up) the junction of the neck, chest. Head down, go for that hump shot. Well this is all the different shots I've taken over the years except for a running shot that my swing got stopped by some alders and the shot was pulled and sliced the liver, he only made a few more steps before he was done. Contraey to popular belief they ain't hard to kill. The trick is to put them down quick so you don't have to carry them as far, or worry about a bear taking him away from you. Yes the lowly .22rf has and does still kill alot of them every year. But not as many as the railroad and cars do.

3sixbits,

Well put. By the way, where is Bush, Alaska? I spoke to someone not long ago about a job working as an IT contractor near Anchorage - maybe I should have taken the job if Alaska is all I've heard it is! I live in Northern Virginia now, and it's seriously driving me mad. Too much hunting pressure in the woods and not enough space!

WHITEWOLF393, Once upon a time a fellow was asked "why do you rob banks?" And his answer was, "Because thats where the money is". This is the answer I give when asked why do you live in Alaska? "This is the bank where they keep all the hunting". Many years ago, I heard some fellow say about Alaska that this is "where GOD used all the leftovers when he made the Earth" And to that my reply will allways remain the same. Yes, He took his time with her and got it right" It would take someone with the powers of a HEMINGWAY to paint with words what I feel for this land. I know that many of us feel this way about this land we call Alaska. A love that only growes more with time. I am glad not everyone feels the same. There wouldn't be room for us all. We've all read stories about large amounts of widlife in the past, with the great herds of bufflow, waterfowl ect. Today thoses stories are new in the Great land! BUSH, Alaska is anywhere the roads are made of air, ice or water. It starts where the cars can't go and the jets can't land. Come and give us a look see, just have a care, remember no stronger narcotic than Alaska!

3sixbits,

That's a good reason. Since I love to hunt - and ski as well - I'm afraid that if I come to Alaska, I'll be bitten by the Last Frontier Bug and never leave. But, why be afraid? If it's my destiny to make a home there eventually, so be it, right?

Even though I haven't yet been to the Great Land, there's a part of me that draws me to her. Sounds strange, but that's how I feel. And you're right - I, too, am glad that not everyone feels the same way, so let those folks keep thinking that the sun never shines there :]

I'll make my way up to your homeland soon enough, partner, and I hope to taste of Alaska's bounty and experience her beauty. In the meantime, good hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.