Mongolia - flight routes, airlines, firearm considerations

TMA805

Headed to Ulaanbaatar Mongolia this September. Looking for experiences, recommendations, etc. regarding flight routes and specific airlines.

Someone told me one option is going through Incheon International (Seoul) South Korea. But initial research on Korean airlines states they do not allow firearms. I looked at Delta out of ATL but looks like they codeshare with Korean Air.

I'll be starting out in Dallas. I'm flexible going out west first (LAX, SFO) or east (ATL, JFK, etc.). Thoughts? Thanks.

I'd call one of the agencies that specializes in firearms travel. Yeah, you might pay a little more, but they know the ins and outs of how to get there (routes, airlines, etc.). The peace of mind seems well worth it, especially since an argali hunt - you did post in the sheep forum - is a pretty penny.

Thanks for the feedback. Outfitter did make one travel agent recommendation of which I'll contact. Just trying to get some info on options available prior to engaging the travel agent.

I've been twice and used Turkish airlines both times. Super easy and Turkish changed their firearm process last year to where you pay a handling fee at the time of booking and you just check it at the counter as you would with any other. I went from Chicago to Istanbul to UB.

Once you land the outfitter should meet you. Clearing the firearm was quick and easy compared to a lot of other countries I've been too. If I recall they have a 40 round cap on ammunition.

I flew into UB about 10 years ago for the Military. We flew American to Seoul and then Miat (Mongolian National Airlines) into UB. Be prepared for delays. When we flew in, we were told to expect a 50% cancel rate on flights because the Air Traffic Contol radar wasn't operational all the time. Also, give plenty of time for departure on the return. Oh, also, use a local driver there to drive You around. Traffic in UB is a combination of the Wild West and Thunder dome!

I've been twice and used Turkish airlines both times. Super easy and Turkish changed their firearm process last year to where you pay a handling fee at the time of booking and you just check it at the counter as you would with any other. I went from Chicago to Istanbul to UB.

Once you land the outfitter should meet you. Clearing the firearm was quick and easy compared to a lot of other countries I've been too. If I recall they have a 40 round cap on ammunition.
Thanks. I've flown on Turkish once through Instanbul to Adana and had no issues. Sounds like a logical choice again.

I would think the Istanbul would be the route with less issues. I seen a couple of guys last year had some serious problems flying with rifles. Regardless if you using an agent or not, you should look into requirements and regulations yourself. Particular airlines may have their own rules. You need to be aware of what each of them require. It's very simple to find on their websites. Luggage/baggage, sports equipment, is where you'll find it. I was going to go last year, and it was pretty easy

I was there in 2022 and going back again this year in July. Flew Turkish Airlines, Dallas to Istanbul on to UB. Turkish was a pleasure to deal with. I highly recommend flying business class, it is well worth the upgrade. Myself and my hunting partner walked off the plane in UB fresh and ready to go hunting. I used Shawn Kennedy at Gracey Travel.

Last edited: